Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Looking for racing History on this 1932 Ford 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sledge, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks McFly, It's had a hard life but Im on a mission to make this body nice again. John originally brought it to me just to have that dip in the roof fixed and a windshield put in, but he's gettin the bonus plan!:D

2. flatoz

flatoz

I think this car deserves the bonus plan, and , after seeing that, you could not say that things were always done better 'back in the day' I can't believe that, that side of the roof didn't part company with the body after a big bump in the road.

3. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

Great find on the car's history...looking good!

4. tinmann

tinmann

Awesome thread. Great trip through history. And an amazing save to a worthy car.

5. VonKool13

VonKool13

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This is what I get for checking out the HAMB before I go to work. A nice thread that I can't stop reading and now I'm gonna be late for work! Ryan, can you write me a excuse note?:D

7. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

wow, nice work on the cowel vent and the door patch panel!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sledge is my new hero. Talent and style for miles and miles!!! Cowl looks awesome and I love that the owner is keeping everything around.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Also I am still blown away when a car like this surfaces....or at least 2 and 2 are put together. I have referenced the car many of times here on the HAMB and there the car was right under our noses! Such an awesome car with a mean and hell profile.

10. Nobey

Nobey

In both the photos Jimmy posted, the dip in the top behind the A pillar is
    the clincher for me. Jimmy your like a blood hound, all we have to do is give
    you a sniff and turn you loose. Don't get pissed at me, I mean that in the
    greatest admiration. Rich.....

11. No offense taken :)

12. n847

n847

Awesome piece of history! Cant wait to see this one back together!

13. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

Thats funny...... Dustbuster look! Some things should stay history. Great car.

14. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Very interesting. A lot of history in that car. Nice work.

15. very cool car ! I have a picture of the car with myself in the background and my 3 year old son leaning on the front tire taken at viva in 09........we framed it and its on the mantle in our living room............good times

16. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Congrats on the great Detective work! also nice A pillar work! Nice car..

17. VonKool13

VonKool13

Updates while your waiting on parts for Sleds Merc?

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome work so far, man that really looks great! Hard to believe that great looking coupe had all that ugly underneath!

Can't wait to see more progress, Kevan.

19. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Very Cool, every time I see this car around I have to stop and look at again. GNRS 13' maybe?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Not a lot going on right now, I'm just trying to get the car unchanneled which is harder than I thought. whoever put it back up on the frame did a half ass job and the back of the body was still channeled about 2 inches. There is really nothing to go off of so it has been difficult. I got the quarter panel patches in and working on the subrails. The repop subrails didn't fit at all so I've had to modify them to work.

The floor had all kinds of crappy brackets welded to the body so those had to be removed
    [​IMG]

Drivers side is close to being done and the door is fitting nice.
    [​IMG]

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I always have to remember that the 'deuce coupe' was not the holy grail that it has become. They were fairly ubiquitous (all over the friggin place) in the 40s and early 50s. Look at any oval track or drag strip photos from around those times, they were (along with others) chopped, channeled, hacked up, perforated and treated badly. Looking at the car in question, somebody was certainly in a big hurry to cut down the profile of this car and didn't much care about doing it well. I'm glad it's in the hands of people that WILL make the work right, and restore the car to a semblance of its former glory.

22. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Wow, simply wow.

This is one of those threads that 1) Blows my mind on how cool that 3 Window Deuce is and 2) Once again amazes me at the knowledge and brothership Jimmy Barter has. This man is invaluable.

Sledge, your work is just exceptional, partly due to the respect you have for what you are working on also.

Viva La H.A.M.B!

HC.

23. Dang bro that is coming along! Looks cool.

24. sr

sr
    from Monterey

Awesome story and great find. Glad to see the roots of the car. Cant wait to see it finished.

25. VonKool13

VonKool13

26. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal

I love that shit.. i think you nailed it!

27. bonesy

bonesy

Great cat, work and research.

Just when I start getting "down" with the HAMB, things like this reinvigorate me! Awesome.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

On the top chop: Sam Barris wrote that 'most top chops are cut 1/2"-1-1/2" lower in rear to smooth out the factory lines'. This was illustrated in various magazine articles of the times. I took it to mean Customs, ('35-'54 generally) but many '32-'34s were chopped in that manner, however subtle. (like 1/2")

The screwed-on plexiglass windows and windshields first appeared at the drags in 1953-54. The material used was a 'soft', pliable clear plastic, not the hard 'Plexiglass'.
    The first ones were screwed onto the outside perimeter, then later ('57) it was generally screwed on from the inside, trimmed to fit under the garnish moldings, which were optional.
    There were no less than 8 cars with plexiglass windows screwed on that ran at 'Little Bonneville', San Jose's drag strip on King Road at the time.
    Some of the cars were Igniters' club cars: Switch's chopped/full fendered yellow '32 sedan, 331 Chrys. power; Tabash Bros. '32 Five window orange Hiboy, flathead power;
    Soto Bros. chopped/channeled '31 Austin Bantom Coupe with long nose, maroon, flathead power; and another long nosed Austin Bantom Coupe, rose red with light blue flames. (flathead also)
    There were others, but I was 12, and busy helping out our racing team. The plexiglass was cool to me, easy race trick and looked VERY 'businesslike'.

29. What's taking so long! How about some updates? I've loved john's Coupe since I first saw YEARS ago.....
    Hope to see it done soon.