Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trim rings on reversed wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alwaystiredlong, Dec 9, 2012.

1. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Hi, I have a quick question and I hope it's not a dumb one. I 'm thinking about reversing my rear wheels. The wheels are off a 64 F-100 and will have the taper on the outside after they are reversed. My question is will trim rings stay on the wheels contacting the taper. Thanks in advance, Scott. The rings I want are the thin ones with the ribs.

2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Hey, good question! I don't know the answer,but good question. Mabey if you post a picture of the rim and the trim ring it would help. N.N.

3. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

I cant be the first person trying to put trim rings on reversed steel wheels can I?
    Reversed wheels and trim rings are traditional hot rod part right? Im not trying to be
    A smart ass. It's when over 100 real hot roders view a question and 1 person replies
    (without an anwser by the way) a person starts to wonder who the people are that read
    these questions. Again I am just looking for an anwser to a question that has to been
    adressed before. Thanks Scott..........fire suite in hand.

4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Well, for a quick simple test you could take the wheel off the truck, and see if you can bang the trim ring on the back of the wheel, check to see how it fits, etc

Good luck
    Bobby

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I dont think it will look good.

6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I have a fenderless car & I have trim rings on inside and outside of my rims

7. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Thankyou, that will be a help with my decision.

8. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are your 64 F100 rims 5" 16's with the flat rivit?
    If they are I think I kinda know the slope and I do not think the trim rings will hang on. On a 16" rim in a 4 1/2" width the step is good at the rim and I am sure trim rings will grip to both sides.
    Just a thought... and I could be way out to lunch width my hunch :eek:

9. I put some on my T with reversed 46 rims in the weekend and they fit on the flat not the taper. They look great. JW :)

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The trim rings should fit just fine. A majority of trim rings and wheel covers use the spring steel "finger"clips that hold them in place, All wheels have a flat, horizontal surface, which is where the tire bead seats, and that is the area in which the clips grip the wheel. The slope inboard from that has nothing to do with retaining the trim ring/wheel cover.

Ray

NAP1947 likes this.
  11. I have put the deep trim rings on genuine reversed rims without any problems.

I don't know if that is the information you are looking for but I have done it that way.

12. x2 on having trim rings on the inside of the front wheels.

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I ran beauty rings on reversed wheels on a '41 Ford, '55 Ford, and '67 Chev truck. All worked fine and stayed put. On one (the Chev), the inside diameter of the ring was smaller than the diameter of the painted rim behind it, so the inside of the ring stood up a little from the surface of the wheel. Didn't look bad, though.

I don't think you'll have any problem.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Depends on which trim rings. The little hotrod rings will fit almost anything, but the larger rings sometimes create a problem.

15. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Thankyou for the info.

16. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Here's mine. The wheels are reversed from Wheel Vintiques.
    [​IMG]

17. 46 reversed rim on my 26T,JW[​IMG]

18. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I bought a set of trim rings a couple of years ago online. Good price, trouble was - they just didn't fit right on my wheels. I finally wound up taking my trusty angle grinder and completely removed all the spring clips, then took some clear silicone and stuck them on with that, making sure they were on straight. I'm thinking that as a last resort, you could do this to just about any ring and any wheel as long as they're the right sized rings. If you don't use too much silicone you can pop them back off if need be, clean everything up, and remount them.

I know the true traditionalists will frown on this method, but dang, I liked the way they looked and was determined to make them work.

Attached Files:

19. I have trim rings on the inside and outside of my wheels. Fronts are reversed backs are standard.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two other factors come into the equation, The design of the particular trim rings and the design of the inside of the rim that you will be reversing.

21. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Everyone has had GREAT advice, thanks everyone. I ordered the thin trim ring with the ribs tonight.
    Wish me luck! Thanks again, Scott

22. docmike

docmike

Im not trying to be a smart ass. Maybe 100 of us were just wondering the same thing about trim rings and wheels and we were thinking because you have the wheels in question that maybe you tried it and were going to give us a heads up on what worked and what didn't. Kind of starts a person to wondering who the people are that ask these questions.

Doc

23. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Sir did you not understand the original post - question. Please read again.
    I have the wheels, I had not purchased the rings, I ask if they would fit. When I receive the rings I will post if they fit or not. Fair enough?