Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Dodge Pickup Build---241 Hemi powered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MLG, Sep 6, 2012.

1. MLG

MLG

Bought the truck in Oct. 2010
    Dismantled, sand blasted and primed with etching primer. Sand blaster told me he had 2 doors, 2 rear fenders & running boards for free, they were exactly what I needed.
    So at this point I decided to turn a 3/4 into a 1/2. (120" to 116") Started by shorting frame 4" just in front of rear spring hanger, then 4" from front of bed and filler panels, now the 1/2 running boards fit.
    Built roll pan to same contour as the original frame covers behind the rear fenders, what a job. Thanks to Greg for that!
    Built rear bumper and hangers, also built hidden receiver hitch behind lic. plate, might come in handy for my scooter or boat.
    Did body work all last winter, didn"t take much money for that. Trying to save for IFS but got to reading and studying about the Jag. IFS&IRS and last week got a 85 XJ6 Vanden Plas. Wire wheels would get me rolling around the shop AND POLISHED UP GREAT! More to come later.

Attached Files:

2. Looks good, im also building a 46 dodge

3. That looks great. My '46 was an old grain truck and the frame was already scrapped out. It has an S10 chassis under it.

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Nice! Makes my tail wag... :D Here's a 47 I did some work on. Not many of them left out there from what I've seen. How about some more pics when you get the hemi stuffed in there?

[​IMG]

5. MLG

MLG

Hey Dane--Good Looking Dodge, remember pics. of your IRS Install.
    OK more on my build. Removed coilovers last night,fixin to put temp. supports to level half-shafts then back under truck to check ride height before I go any further. Had to clean up wire wheels with Meguires spray chrome cleaner (awesome stuff). Just some more pics to look at.
    My brother Dale's choptop 51 with shorten IRS (Lin. Mark VII). Also his 40 Buick. Thanks to Dale& David for helping to strip down the Jag last Sat,couldn't have been this far along.
    Also some pics. of 4.2 L Jag motor& Trans.
    More to come later.
    Having to work at night, supposed to be 104 today, but front is on it's way!
    Later,
    Milton

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You'll love the independent Jag suspension under your truck.

7. ezdusit

ezdusit

Can't wait to see the hemi in action...

8. MLG

MLG

Install on the IRS ----
    Pics. tell the story. C-notch into frame to lower rear to level. Hope to finish this afternoon. Have all detailed pics. should anyone be interested in finer details. In one pic. you can see that I was able to roll complete assembly back out of the way for fab. work --real handy and alot less work. Lowered the rear 2-1/2".
    Later,
    Milton

Attached Files:

9. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Nice fab work! I love the truck and that engine would be sweet in something else.
    Tom

10. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Dang!

I need to come by.. I havent see the truck in a while. Looking Good!
    Let me know if you ever need any help, I dont mind getting dirty!

11. MLG

MLG

Finished the install on IRS last night, about a week longer than I had expected but happy on the final look. Ended up having to extend the temp. supports to level half-shafts. Installed 1-1/4 spacers on rear to bring the wheels out more.
    The trucks new name is Chrysis, inspired by figurine by Lalique.
    Next to do is the IFS install, hope to be alot quicker.
    Few pics. of completed IRS.

Attached Files:

12. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Pretty swanky.

I know you're not using the Jag engine, but as a sometime Jag owner who has had several 4.2L's, I'd lower that thin into the sea unless you can find someone to pay you for it. Among it's many issues....the head studs run through the water jackets - so you can guess how that turns out after 20 years or so.

Also, I wish I knew why Jag didn't use more bolts to attach the motor to the trans. If they had tried harder, they could have fit at least 2 or 3 more!

13. MLG

MLG

Working on the IFS now.
    Pulled the IFS back out to remove the springs, all that I've read said you ought to do this first since I will not be able level lower A-arms and get true ride height. Quite a job, makes you a bit nervous also. IFS under the truck again, fixin to start fabbing mounts and lining everything up.
    Sure hope to be able to roll Chrysis outside by the weekend, first time to see daylight in 2 years.
    Also have a outside visor on the way from Lincoln, Ne. thanks to Joe.
    Later,
    Milton

Attached Files:

14. MLG

MLG

Ok so I finally got IFS installed, working on outside Visor, chasing parts down from all over the place. Located the 3.54 gears for IRS and picked them up yesterday, new orig. tank from" Tanks ". Have every part to complety rebuild IFS&IRS. Sent stuff to Chrome shop, located most awesome bodyshop for paint(Integrity Classic Restorations-Ft. Worth,Tx). Have Offy 3-Duece setup coming from Charlie Price's out of Florida. Steering wheel (1960 Plymouth Aero) thanks to Mike, being restored in Ca.
    Time to get back at it,
    Later, Milton
    Pics. of "Chrysis" out of shop first time in 2 yrs. Thanks to Greg & Dale!

Attached Files:

15. FRANKENSTEIN1313

FRANKENSTEIN1313

Very cool brother....

16. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

You are doing a great job. Here is my 41 that is complete except for interior. It took a lot of work to put a 426 crate HEMI up front but it worked out very well.

http://www.bobs41dodge.com

17. Bob, Checked out your page... one question?? Just how BIG a shoe horn do you have to use to stuff a Hemi into a 41 Dodge pickup?? :cool:
    Job well done!

18. bobbyhstl

bobbyhstl
    from St Louis

It is a lot easier after you move the firewall back six inches, but it sure cuts down on leg room. With 500 hp and a light rear end it isn't too hard to spin a tire.
    Bob H

19. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

That is one nice Dodge....

20. MLG

MLG

Update on the build----
    Been busy finishing the spare tire carrier that is under the wood floor. The 4 boards in the middle will hinge and lift to access the spare and to service the IRS. Working on removing the old bed angles on the bed sides and installing the new polished stainless ones, quite a job! Hope to have Red Oak flooring installed for mockup soon. Next on the list is to fab. the alumn. tonneau cover, bought a 5'x10' alumn. sheet 18ga.
    Few pics------------including alumn.adapter, mini starter, and A/C mockup unit.
    Later,
    Milton

Attached Files:

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Very cool piece man, always love that body style.

22. MLG

MLG

Update (12-13-12). Tonnaeu cover in place-need to fab. 1" Alumn. sq. tube for frame,then install arms to support.
    Installin the Hemi ( or stuffing the Hemi) now. Fabbed up front support (3/8 plate, retapped for 3/8 bolts to pump housing. A/C comp. is low on pass. side, still working on power steering pump on upper right. Headers (Sanderson Ceramic coated) looking good with room for Jag. rear steer. Got to fab. mid. engine mounts from tabs on adapter plate to frame, trans. mount finished.
    Next is under floor brake pedal, then the steering column.
    Installed 318 fuel pump and adapter with a little grinding here and there.
    Later, Milton

Attached Files:

23. Great work, truck looks awesome!

I'd love to feel the difference between driving my 39 Plymouth pick up with a hopped up flat 6, 3 speed crash box, standard rear gears, leaf springs all round and your slightly later, same shape Dodge with MONSTER Hemi and IFS/IRS!!!

I get a feeling there might be a difference.:D

24. das858

das858

Love the choice of engine and the truck too.

25. 4msfam

4msfam

Looks great! Can you tell me how the rear IRS installs to the frame rails? Looks like there's bolts that go horizontally from the IRS frame to the new c notch? Also, can you post pics of the rear part of the IFS cradle to frame mount?

Been thinking of doing this with my '55 C3. How's the Hemi block oilpan to IFS crossmember clearance? I've got a poly block that I'm keeping... just wondering how it's all going to fit.
    Thx!

26. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Man, I love the looks of the engine! I have always wanted one for my '36, and just brought this one home last weekend. I have a long way to go with it...

Attached Files:

27. MLG

MLG

For 4msfam-------------
    IRS install pics. and front sump has about 4-5" of clearance from steering.
    Have detailed pics. of everything, including jigs and measurements of IRS&IFS.
    Piece with hand installs on outside of frame and is used to install mounts.

Attached Files:

28. hot_devil_6

hot_devil_6

Any updates here? Nice PU!

29. MLG

MLG

Update July 2014---------
    Got truck back from paint in Jan.
    Pics

Attached Files:

30. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Looks Great!!
    Havent seen your door open lately, I need to come by!!