Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Plymouth Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Hey all, I have a friend tat just bought a 37 plymouth coupe, any recomedations on lowering the front? does anyone sell mono leafs for these or drop axles? I know remove some leaf springs but anyother ideas?

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

3. austinhunt

austinhunt

keep the leaves and re arch the spring

drop the axle

smaller tires

raise crossmember

Pics??

4. I'm also considering the same mod on my Coupe. Any pics or hint's?

5. I don't like 1937 Plymouths........hee hee hee.....

6. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

We had the springs dearched and removed a couple. For the rear we ordered lowering blocks from Jamco. Sorry don't have pics

7. norms30a

norms30a

I had a 6 inch dropped axle on my 36 for several years and it was as low as you would want it, the grill shell was about beer can high at the bottem

Later I put IFS on it and that was really nice, no lower but steered and rode much better.

8. Car

Car
    from the desert

some pics would help.....austinhunt has some good ideas.(post #3)

9. Plumbid joker, I'm following your build thread! When you get to Sweden for racing you know where to find a push-car... hee hee hee...

Razorshotrods, since I have a big-and-little combination and one or two inches extra will do in the front perhaps removal of two or three leaves will make it? After doing the front I'll make lowering blocks of the same thicknes as the front came down. (I'm very pleased with the stance as it is). Good idea?

10. ez_ryder

ez_ryder
    from Phoenix

Here the before and after shots of the Plymouth Coupe. Not having off the shelf dropped axles available forced us to think harder about how to best lower the car without going MII, and it was a good learning lesson. I learned the hard way that the front spring bushings on the passenger side are reversed thread! We dearched the front spring about 2 1/2" and removed 3 leafs which lowered the front about 3 inches. We used Jamco 3" lowering blocks for the rear and relocated a couple springs from the bottom to the top of the spring for a little more drop. It rides suprisingly well with the changes. It's never low enough but I am happy with the way it came out.

Attached Files:

11. austinhunt

austinhunt

There are a few guys here that drop axles... I think 296 v8 does them but I might be wrong. Look up "dropped axles for early fords"

12. olskool34

olskool34

I like the new ride height and I love the car.