Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New build 37 coupe altered wheelbase...asking for your opion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rotten johnny, Dec 13, 2012.

1. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

My latest project is this 37 coupe. Ive had this for 20 plus years up in the rafters of the barn and finaily started the build this week. 20 years gives you alot of thinking time, I wanted something real different than the norm. I am building the car on a 150 or 160 inch wheelbase and it will have a spring over axle buggy spring and I beam up front.
    Motor is a blown BBC and a powerglide. This will be a pump gas motor as this will see alot street use.
    I'd like opions please, good and bad, like to see what this community thinks about this build. Can anyone guess the make?? These are some of the mock up of the build.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 37 Buick, and lookin good.

3. ibuild

ibuild

i never liked the look of the front axle that far out front, it blows everything out of proportion, bring the axle back and it would be killer,you have been doing this for a long time, it is your build so do it your way

4. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

My opinion would be bring the fronts back. I like the nose high gasser look. Either way I think it will be an awesome build.

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

I would see that wheel base being a royal pain on the street (anything other than straight line stuff). You'd need rear-wheel steering!

- EM

6. the guys are right move the axle back so the center of wheel would line up with the frt of the head light and lower the body about 6" frt and rear and make the hood side panel with a lot of louvers down to the frame like a bonneville car

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like the fenderless coupe idea, and the axle out front, but I agree that I'd go a little less out than that.

8. It's a Buick I have a Slant back I'm building. Do you know what the brackets look like that hold the hood down? Thanks, what an awsome build.

9. Not with all that sheet metal up front.

Go for the competition coupe look , a proven classic & plenty pics here. Stretch it out as far as you want.

Or pull the axle back where it belongs under the front sheet metal. Both doesn't seem to work.
    Looks like an overgrown topolino gone wrong.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Another vote to move the front back. In the present location, it looks like you're doing it "just because you can". I don't think it'll flow well. The original flow of the body pretty much dictates front axle placement.

11. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Thanks for the responce guys.....I do apprecate them.
    Going to go with the "in front scuicide axle" and keep it to a 155" wheelbase.....The mock up looks good in my eyes, soooo
    Does anyone know if 37 chevy rear fenders are interchangable on this coupe? I have a set of pristeen front fenders I wont be using....

31 vicky.....THATS the look I want, your avaiter

12. 1arock

1arock

Maybe You outta miter cut that front axle to get some more camber though.LOL

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wil be no more 3 point turns in side streets , more like 33 point turns to u turn.

14. 60 Belair

60 Belair

how ever you decide to do, it looks like a cool project. mabe pull the wheels back a foot at a time and give us a couple other pics to compare it to with a little shorter wheel base?

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

definitly won't make it look any better. maybe it will make it faster.

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

Errrr yup, I'm thinkin' that 150" or 160" is too many inches.
    Bring those front wheels in.
    Everything else is looking the goods though.

On the other hand, the risk of asking people for their opinon is you'll just end up getting them.
    Do what you want - it's your car.
    Cheers.

17. captmullette

captmullette

go with it....you can always move it back

18. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

On the other hand, the risk of asking people for their opinon is you'll just end up getting them.
    Do what you want - it's your car.
    Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Excactly.....where else can you get opions from real hot rod builders....
    this board has MUCH good info from the best in the bussness......
    Keep em comming.

19. brandon

brandon

Look at dittmers lil screamer...if you want the look. Exaggeration in w/b only kills the overall look. Lol but thats just my 3 pennies

Edit addition........if you kept it long, think wedge section and lose about a foot off the bottom of the grille

20. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

It's spot-on just the way it sits. :D

[​IMG]

21. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Quote: Look at dittmers lil screamer...if you want the look

I punched in this on search here and came up with nothing, any suggestions where to go?

22. brandon

brandon

23. 296moon

296moon
    from england

I like it just as it is, be following this

24. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Got rid of the 2x4s and got 2x3 .120 2 24 footers. Kept the wheelbase 157" long.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think my dog likes it, I think

AHotRod likes this.
  25. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

get a few likes and dislike....but if you think it's cool then build it......

26. ac duster

ac duster

looks cool like see out at the track gasser and funnycar verycool good luck with build

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

When I was mocking up my '36, I moved axle out in front of the grill shell, stood back, looked at it and thought, "Uh, no." An old Fiat or Austin, maybe, but that big Buick. Great work though, and you're making progress, which is more than I'm doing...

Brian

28. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Been a long winter and I got things rolling.....literaly. Pulled it down off the jig first time last nite, Car is now a roller and awaiting the BBC blower combo. It ended up 160" long (sorry shorty lovers) . but in contrast my pickup gaily driver is 188" so Im kinda used to "swinging it wide".
    I cant wait to get er out....Im sure it'll get its share of looks
    Long, low and lean..........and off the wall
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. oj

oj

Much too long for me, but i ain't drivin it. If you wanted funnycar/altered look then 125" wouldv'e been right.
    Was that a 12bolt in your pics, was it just for mockup only? It just won't live with torque of blown big block and some meats.

30. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks really good,, thanks for the update ,, Tim Jones