Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Ouch! At least it looks like you got out ok.

2. Man, I grew up in Central and Western NY. I'm not sure if you are brave or crazy for trying to drive that in winter.
    Glad you got out alright.

3. you know you were singing this during the episode http://youtu.be/4GtyMeEcPPE glad you guys were ok

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, seat belts literally saved our lives this time. We were airborne off the cliff there nose down and when we landed the impact blew the windshield out and both front doors open. If we werent belted in we would have exited the vehicle when it flipped for sure. I chipped a tooth and we're both a little sore but no major injuries, thank god.

I daily drove one of these right through winter for almost 10 years. I've never had an issue until now. Man that thing felt like a lunch box sliding across a greasy table when we hit that spot.

It was nice when we left, nothing major in the forecast, then we came upon just a dusting of snow on top of a thin layer of ice. :(

haha!

5. buckeye

buckeye

Glad your ok.... Are the seats any good ? I need a clean set

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I doubt they are clean....

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

HAHA!:D:D:D Good one Greg!

Buckeye, I'm keeping them, gonna find a different body and transplant the drivetrain, interior, etc...

8. buckeye

buckeye

I have a 100% rust free pickup on a rotisserie for sale ....

9. Cooon

Cooon

Man these things are cool, seems like there are a fair few of them over there too. I think I have only seen 1 maybe 2 over here. Makes me really want one...

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

my falcon van is the worst vehicle i've ever driven on slippery roads. the combo of the short wheelbase, very light weight and a high COG and aerodynamics of a billboard make for interesting driving when it gets slippery. being forward control pretty much removes any possibility of being able to feel the skid and correct when the ass end comes loose on ya.

it appears your van is a falcon, make sure you save the fiberglass window trim from the inside.

11. Looks like Andy don't need no stinking rotisserie!! That's the old school way.-MIKE:eek::D

12. jreeder41

jreeder41

Kevin showed me those pics yesterday........man that sucks. Glad you guys were ok Andy!

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I bet that stock height suspension plays a good role in the slippery factor on those brick shaped thingys :)
    My little 1ton ford sedan isnt a lot better on 155/80 in the wet. I tend to drive almost dumped when it rains to get that little more road hugg:cool:

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The one I mentioned that I drove daily for years was lowered and it definitely seemed more stable on a slippery surface than this one did. This one actually had the rear lifted up a bit. Who knows...

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You got that right... Some of the trim got busted up in the accident but can probably be repaired by a decent fiberglass guy. This body will be stripped of anything removable.

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

dang sorry about your wheels bro, glad no one was majorly injured!!!

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks Del, I think I'm gonna nab a econopickup body to transplant this stuff into!

18. mitchell stewart

mitchell stewart
    from toronto On

Well you know tat it's not going to buff out. Glad you and yours where not hurt.

19. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Not to mention FORD engineered bump steer into these things.

20. tubular

tubular
    from MI

pm sent

21. The Mickster

The Mickster

Working on this one as money permits.
    454 Chevy, 400 Turbo

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  22. bigbren

bigbren

How easy is it to get parts for these things. I want one!

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

Depends on what parts you want. :)

Most of the engine and mechanical parts are common Ford stuff, but only a few body panels are available. Lots of parts on eBay, too. Some parts are harder to find or are more expensive than others, but can be had.

24. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Dude that's crazy!
    Was it a slow roll or what?!
    Glad your ok!
    TP

25. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Have any of you tried putting a 240/300 straight six in one of the Econoline pickups? Is there enough room between the rear of the engine compartment and the back of the cab?

26. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I'll clarify, is there enough room within the cab to accomodate the additional length of the larger 6? There's a neglected Econoline pickup near me that would make a nice daily driver. Over the years I've owned 2 vans and a pickup with 300 sixes and they are good-strong engines. One would probably do well in an Econoline. Sam

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

This has been covered extensively here and elsewhere. Actually, if you do a search, I posted a lengthy engine swap article on the HAMB.

In brief, the 65-67 Econolines came with an optional 240, so it will obviously fit. The 300 is the same size, mounts, etc. If you have a 65-67 with a 170, you will need to modify the crossmember, or replace it with one from a 240 van, change the bellhousing, transmission, driveshaft and rear end because none of the 170 parts will work with the big 6 or hold up to their power for long.

If you have a 61-64, you're in for a lot more work and parts sourcing, but it's not terrible. The 61-64 dogbox is smaller, for starters.

28. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Hellfish, thanks for the info. I didn't know that the Econolines ever came with anything larger than the 170-200 sixes thus I didn't do a search.

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

The 61-64s only came with a 144 or 170. The 65-67s came with 170 or 240.

30. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

My van at the TRIP OUT picture taken by Russ D'Barr, thank's Russ :cool: Cheer's Dave.

Attached Files: