Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I Wrong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hdman6465, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to get some opinions from our group, to see if I am looking at this all wrong. I purchased a COE from a fellow in Texas. I saw it on here, but that is irrelevant. I paid his asking price, to seal the deal. I arranged for a shipper to pick it up and deliver it to me in Ohio. The truck arrived in short order. Not quite what I expected, but that is part of fooling with old cars. After the truck arrived,but no title with the driver, I called him.When I questioned about the title, the seller tells me that there is no title, but a bill of sale only. He says that I can apply for a bonded title and he gave me the card of a title agency in Texas. They said only a Texas resident can get a bonded title and it is illegal to sell a car with no title. I explain to him that He has to get the title, then transfer it to me. He is willing to do it, but wants me to pay all costs up front. He want at least 250 dollars to get it done.
    I have bought parts cars with no title before, but this was stated up front, before the purchase. And I didn't pay 8,000 for them , either. Am I wrong to assume that when I pay 8 grand for a vehicle(that runs and drives) that I can expect a title with the vehicle and not have to pay extra for one? I have resisted my initial urge to call Texas DMV, Texas taxation Dept., Texas attorney general, and anyone (including IRS) that will listen to me and offered to Pay Half the cost of getting a title. I feel I am trying to be fair about this, but am I looking at this wrong?

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

First question should always be... "Do you have the title?"

3. I guess you got horn swaggled. You shouldn't have to ask but I always do any more.

Sounds like something you are going to have to work out with the seller.

4. Did you ask him if he had a title when you bought the COE?

I think if you paid his price and have offered to pay what it cost to get a title he should be willing to help you out,,he already got paid. HRP

5. Man their are some different way to get a title but it is always buyer be ware. good luck.

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I think that's exactly why he WON'T help out. He already got paid...

7. saucerhead

saucerhead

If he advertised it with a title, then go after him. If he advertised it with no title but only a bill of sale, then I don't see you have any recourse. If he can get a title for $250, I'd go for it. $ 250 is little money to avoid the grief you'll get in Ohio to get a title. Sorry , just my 2 cents.

8. vint39

vint39

Check with your State's MVD about a storage Title. Most States require a Bond and a waiting period before they will issue a Title. Be aware that having a vehicle on your property without a Title can be considered "Stolen Property".

9. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand the methods to get a title, and have been buying cars for almost 50 years, but I feel that I am being taken advantage of and I don't LIKE it. If you don't have your good name, you have nothing. A mans word is his bond. I did not ask ahead of time, I assumed that, since it is the LAW, I didn't need to. It seems that all hotrodders may NOT be honest.LOL

10. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. since you are an alliance member contact Ryan and let him know what is going on. for 8 grand he should pay for the title not expect you to pay for it.

On Edit; Bad deal never buy from a newby with only one post, i say go after him!

12. silent rick

silent rick

was it a running, driving vehicle? i would assume it had a title but i'd always ask. if i was buying a project, i assume there's no title, but am stoked to find it when it does come with one. you have to ask when dealing with old iron. some states didn't title vehicles back then.

13. You bought the COE from a guy that joined the hamb simply to sell his wares,,,you are extremely lucky you didn't get screwed out of 8 grand,,,talk about taking a chance.

Hambers are normally stand up guys,,but nobody knows this guy,,again you were lucky! HRP

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Buyer Beware....that's the rule. When you're purchasing a car that you will need a title for, you ask. Assuming that because some law requires it doesn't mean the seller will comply. You should have seen the RED FLAG when the ad said NOTHING about the title. Most guys willingly state they have the title - gives comfort to the buyer. Same thing in other ads - if it doesn't state STEEL body, it generally means it's fiberglass, but the seller doesn't want to be so blatant about it, hoping you won't ask - as you did NOT ask about the documentation with this car you purchased.

In spite of the above, you can suggest to the seller that you're familiar with his state's laws and may get his DMV involved in case he's done something illegal.

15. Fenders

Fenders

Right.
    Benno is wrong.
    You've been buying old vehicles for 50 years and don't know to ask if it has a title?
    Sounds like he's willing to help if you pay his $250 costs. Either go for it, or find another way in your state.

16. The seller states,,,The only thing it needs right now is the diamond plate (or whatever
    you choose to use) on the bed.

and should have said,,,oh yeah,,and a title!:eek: HRP

17. Personally, I ask on the initial phone call, or e-mail if they have a clear title in their name. If they don't, I don't even go look at it.
    There are plenty of cars for sale without the hassle of chasing down a title that may or may not exist.
    If he told you he had a clear title, go after him, with all means you have available to you.
    Good luck.

18. tunes

tunes

I agree with you. It's the law that you have to have a title to sell a vehicle and you shouldn't have to pay extra to get one from the owner. The seller was dishonest by not stating "no title" in the ad. Your offer to pay half the fee is pretty generous in my opinion.

19. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

X 2 on this.
    If you've been buying cars for 50 years, you should know to ask about a title up front, regardless of cost or condition. I was told a long time ago, NEVER ASSUME anything, you'll only make an ass out of you and me. If he's willing to help out, go for it. Otherwise I think it's all on you, not him. Good luck!

20. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I feel you were taken advatage of. And there a lot of this crap going on these days its so sad. I feel your pain man. Im sure if it was a matter of just giving him an extra 250 to get a title you would be more then willing. But with what a scam artist this guy is. Your prolly thinken he will take the money and run. these guys should be hung.

21. F&J

F&J

Nobody needs to hold someones hand in a long distance sale. Everyone should know what to ask, in the order of importance, to that buyer.

If the seller sold the truck to a non-title state, we would not have this thread. If you asked point blank about a title, to the seller, we would not have this thread.

so yes, You ARE wrong.. and I do agree that the seller should have mentioned it, but I can't put all the blame on him, for how this turned out. You are both wrong.

22. storm king

storm king

Bottom line is this, regardless of what he could or should do: you can get the title yourself by filing for a lien title. I know, I know, there's certain things that are supposed to be in place for that. But I've had to do it before when I bought a vehicle out of a salvage yard, that is required by law to have a title for each and every vehicle in there (sure, you go find a salvage yard that obeys THAT law!). I specifically picked the vehicle I did because he said he had the title. I got the truck, he "couldn't find" the title. Went to it's last known owner he didn't want to fool with it. So I just filed a storage lien on it, and down the road I went, clean title. Cost me less than $50.00, and I didn't have to depend on anyone else to get it done. sorry about your trouble, but I think the best thing to do is fix it yourself and move on...

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes - learnt that the VERY hard way, now dont buy off anyone without LOTS of QUALITY posts. Over at the JJ you cant post in the classifieds without having 50 good posts. Im sure that helps.

Now back to the problem. Id simply call him, say to him he has 28 days to have it sorted or you will be notifying the police he has broken the law (if that is indeed the case) and to expect them around. At the end of the 28 days if he hasnt, do it. On the upside of such an approach I even had a local cop go see a young punk that ripped me and he helped get my $ back.

24. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I dont think being a FNG has anything to do with it. We all got to start somewhere. It boils down to you having to pay the $250 simply because you didnt ask about a title. Ive turned down some neat stuff because of liens and loss of titles. If the guy takes your $250 and still doesnt get the title then you have grounds to sue.

25. Bottom line is he should have advertised the lack of title and you should have asked if there is a title. Splitting the cost shows you are a stand up guy and a good way to resolve. I agree for the cost he should pay as well.
    At the end of the day though. It's worth the 250 to get him to do it. Bigger things in life to worry about. I hope he offers to help with the cost though

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. Abomb

Abomb

X2....Of course that classified ad is his very first and only post on the HAMB, so good luck.

27. Man that's a nice looking truck for 8g's. I think I'd have him get the title if it just cost an extra $250. I have to wonder though, if that’s all it would have taken then why didn't he do that before selling. I think I'd be getting all my ducks in a row (keeping all correspondence etc.) just in case the excrement strikes the ventilator. I hope you can get it titled & legit without getting either state government involved beyond the obvious and necessary going to pick up plates. If either state thinks something questionable happened they'd likely impound the truck till you got tired of paying lawyers to try and get it back.

28. Gator

Gator

Yup, I don't buy anything without a title unless its strictly for parts or scrap...

29. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in the car business for a number of years, and have bought and sold in excess of 5,000 cars. I guess I am guilty of being too naive and trusting!

30. In the big picture, $250 is a cheap lesson to learn.
    At least the guy is willing to take the steps to get the title.
    I agree, it should have been stated by the seller,
    and asked about by the buyer.
    But hey, now you've got a COE!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.