Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering a 55 pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ponchopowered, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

so i have been seeing some pictures of fellow hambers, 55 and 56 pontiacs past a nd present. and am wonder how, and what it took to get some of the cars so low. i had 3" blocks in the back of my pontiac, and it sat on the bump stops, so i trimed them. but that didnt last long, about 4 weeks later they where blown out and if i put any body in the back seat, it would just rub the driveline at every rock in the road. so i ask what did it take for you guys to be able to have your cars so low? did you have to notch the frame, raise drive line tunnels? or have you guys lowered them but just replace the bump stops every so often?:confused::confused:

2. 55/56 Pontiacs are a pain to lower to be honest with you. You can get them low but then you have the lack of rear wheel well to deal with. having owned a few 55/56's before the best options are;
    air on all four
    Air in the rear, dropped spindles in the front
    c notched frame in the rear and dropped spindles in the front

Fat man makes the dropped spindles just fyi.

Good luck!

3. lawman

lawman

I have 4" blocks under my 57 chevy. Had trouble a first with the drive shaft hitting the floor also.I put over load springs over the shocks and have not had a problem in 6 years.Hope this helps.

4. Hmmmmmmmmm..I've had a pile of 55-57 Pontiacs and lowered most of them with 3 inch blocks. I don't remember having any rubbing or bottoming-out problems but I didn't have rear seat passengers either.
    I'd make sure your leaf springs are in good condition before lowering the car. If you plan to put people in the back seat, I may be inclined to add a leaf or 2 and use 4 inch blocks to compensate. Here are a few photos of my lowered cars that didn't bottom out but I always trimmed the bump stops to about 3/4ths of an inch.

Attached Files:

5. lawman

lawman

They look sooo nice !!!!

6. 3" blocks, removed 2 leafs, removed all the bump stops and added air over leaf system. Cruise around with about 20lb of air and rides and is great. If I air it all the way out and drive its fine but the driveshaft rubs at certain points.

Here is a pic parked with the air out.

Attached Files: