Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Kind Of Primer (Rattle Can) Should I Use For Aluminum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

I have a small job -- need to rattle can some aluminum brackets that I fabbed. What kind of primer will etch and/or get a good bite so the enamel which will follow will hold? As this is such a small job, I don't want to consider a gun, just rattle cans. Can I get a primer that will work at Home Depot or at my FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Supply?)

2. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

You need a chromated etch primer then a regular filler primer sometimes topcoats wiont stick directly to etch primers because of the acid ...best check local auto paint store. sEM makes some rattle bomb stuff....RS59.

3. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have used SEM self etching primer with success it comes in rattle cans. I also had a rattle can of something called Aluma Blast, used in on my alternator keeps it looking new, not sure who made it.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

5. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the alums blast stuff is from Eastwood.

6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I have had very good luck with all SEM products. Thats what I would use.

7. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

u pol makes a rattlecan zinc chromate etch primer, pretty high, about $15-17 per can, but upol is some high quality product, usually your paint supplier can get or has the stuff, used it and it works great.

8. bobscogin

bobscogin

Rustoleum has a primer made specifically for aluminum. I bought it at Home Depot.

Bob

9. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I use either SEM self-etch (grey) or Duplicolor epoxy (greyish green).

10. lawman

lawman

Good info fellows.

11. U-Pol Acid 8 is the stuff.

12. The SEM products are some of the best on the market.

But I've also got excellent results with the DupliColor self etching fizz-can product....

[​IMG]

13. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

14. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Fuelroadster you must have an unusual situation if Rustoleum self etch didn't dry. I have been using it for a year and found it to be bulletproof. I just sprayed some small aluminum parts and it is almost scratch resistant

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

16. I may have gotten a bad can---I prepped the metal & did what I normally do with rattle cans.It sprayed fine,but stayed semi soft & gummy.After 3 days I said screw it,,I chased my heat gun with a plastic putty knife & it came rite off.
    Wiped the whole thing down with laquer thinner & used the brite green/yellow zinc & then top coated.
    The last pic is what I let dry for 3 days--warm So Cal weather.
    I dont know if it's just me but I always have some sort of issue with rustolem products.

Attached Files:

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Our local auto paint store(welle auto body) will put anything you want in an aerosol can. I would check to see of you can get a good quality primer you trust put in a can for you locally...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad