Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any pictures of vintage car wrecks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Jan 20, 2010.

1. NewportNic

NewportNic

Bought this one in an antique shop. Looks like the guard cable caught the car and the windshield caught the passenger.[​IMG]

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

looks like shit got ugly here......
    [​IMG]

3. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

Ouch

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

Not to be aurgumentive. But this is the wrong intersection. This photo is at Hwy 46 & Hwy33 aka Black Wells Corner. James Dean's crash was west of this intersection about 25 miles at Hwy 46 & 41 closer to Cholame.

5. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    from Wisconsin

That video always irritated me. Of all the older cars to choose they pick one of the x-frame chevys. Naturally, an uninformed person would assume based on the video that all old cars will fold up like that in a head-on collision. The video does an excellent job of ignoring the fact that modern body-on-frame pickups are built structurally similarly to pretty much every other body-on-frame care from the late '50s and early '60s. Of course, it's not like the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety could possibly have an agenda to push.

falcongeorge likes this.
  6. Checkout this flickr album of vintage car wreck pics:

Auto Accidents flickr album thumb.jpg
    click thumbnail to view album

7. Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

8. belair57

belair57
    from australia

Hemi32
    thank you for the link, very nice photos.:):D

9. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Also did you notice all the rust and dirt that came out of the rocker? and the roof never buckled at all the post looked like it was cut...

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

My wife's brother was killed in 1970 when his not rusty 59 Chevy hit a 60's Olds full size head on at 30 mph.The Olds driver also died at the scene ......
    Doesn't matter about the supposed strength of older vehicles ,it all in how the vehicle folds up to absorb impact.In a 35 MPH head on your body is going to be thrown forward against the steel interior.Even if wearing a seat belt the force will impale you on the steering column and your head will still splat on the interior steel
    Modern body on frame PU's and SUV's are substantially more rigid than 50's vehicles.I've worked on my old PU trucks and the front sheet metal is just a hollow assembly of 18 gauge steel on two front mounts.In any serious frontal crash the old vehicle front clip will tear away and next in line is the engine making it's entrance into the passenger compartment.The so called "it's got a frame" argument means nothing after the front clip folds away with little resistance.
    I have talked to older "first responders" and they always say who see drivers walk away from crashes today that were 100 percent fatal 40 years ago.
    And yes,some survived unbelievable accidents 60 years ago just as they still do today.
    In 1965 I slammed my Dad's 64 Riviera into the back of a drunk that pulled out in front of me .Being that I was going 65 in a 35 didn't help matters :D The drunk's early 50's Chevy was knocked 100 feet off the road and he wound up ok in the back seat.My girlfriend and me had a few bruises ...no seat belts.
    No way I wanted to ever repeat that wreck!!!

11. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I came upon a wreck in Fla 1968 where a drunk hit a concrete interstate bridge abutment in the center median at 90-100MPH and was ejected thru the convertible roof at least 100 feet or more and somehow he didn't get decapitated or break his neck. Heard he lived without too many injuries so pure luck is huge factor in the older cars and he probably would not have survived the same wreck with seat belts.

12. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I worry about getting hit by someone when I drive my 31 Pontiac, being as it's made of wood there is really nothing to protect me or my passengers.

13. apound

apound

Found these on the internet. Would like to have that tow truck/ hauler

Attached Files:

14. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

The center of the LR wheel stayed on the car-wow!

15. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

1940 Los Angeles.[​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. Normbc9

Normbc9

The wood framed Postal Vans usually didn't fare well against a tree as you can see.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

17. ....quite the thread, can't quit lookin...

18. titus

titus

32 cabriolet, guy was stuck inside but was able to get the door open and get out, he was fine.

jeff

Attached Files:

• cab4.jpg
      cab4.jpg
      File size:
      203.3 KB
      Views:
  19. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

Here's some pics and the newspaper article from when my dad wrecked a 56 Ford years ago.
    He used to tell the story at the time of the accident he had a big pipe wrench up on the dash and as the truck flipped over and over he said that thing chased him everywhere he went in that cab, beat the heck out of him.
    MONGO

Attached Files:

20. Fenders

Fenders

Yum yum..........

Attached Files:

21. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

[​IMG]
    I was doing about 30mph when I got hit head on and pushed backward about 30 feet. Got a fat lip from pushing the steering wheel up against the dash with my face, but that was it.

22. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Hope they fixed it, doubt it.
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

What a shame...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

24. Reminds me of the time I rolled an old 55 chevy. Had a 5 gallon jerry can in the back seat. wacked me in the head several times. wasn't funny at the time, but, I was real glad it was empty.

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Those James Dean crash photos were photoshopped, Dean was found in the passenger seat, his face was pretty messed up so it was hard to tell who was who originally...also this started the "who was driving" discussion, but what I think I hate the most is that the other car involved in an accident was a Shoebox.. :(

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

14.jpg

This photo is very interesting to me. I took a good hard, long look at it and I'm starting to wonder if this could be our coupe. We bought a very solid; original Model A coupe last winter. After dismantling it we determined that it had been hit on the passenger side front fender at some point. The frame is an original Model A frame but it has no Vin # on it leaving us to believe that it was replaced early in the car's life.The Passenger side fender and wheel were not the original (but were still of the same age vintage) as they didn't quite match the driver's side to make a matched pair. The body is unharmed except for looking inside the car at the cowl; it was slightly pinched-in indicating the frame had been tweeked by a crash in the front end but wasn't bad enough to cause significant damage elsewhere. The engine is original and has 75,000+ on it and it runs strong. We are pretty sure that the car was in a minor accident very early in it's life and not later because of all the original factory parts on it; nothing was reproduction or of later vintage. In addition; the car spent all of it's life in Massachusetts and was in an extremely original state. I see the car in the indicated photograph is from Mass...one can only wonder.

Could it be :confused::D

27. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

That's pretty cool!

I have found photos of a couple of my vehicles like that too, there is a photo display in my home towns city hall and on the main street in front of the bar is my 37 Dodge 2 door circa 1946, I'm the second owner and the original owner was always at that bar!

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

29. ^^^^ What is the convertible? Buick? Olds?
    Nothing like having a TC right in front of a repair shop.....

30. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Im a tad late but I love the Schlitz cooler in the back ground of the first pic!