Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project Milly Falcon: 3 Sisters-in-law, one 1962 Ranchero

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by projectmillyfalcon, Dec 11, 2012.

1. projectmillyfalcon

projectmillyfalcon
    from Texas

My name is Cynthia, and I'm one of three sisters-in-law trying to restore an old car, and video-blogging the process. We know nothing about cars, and are relying on the kindness of the internet to help us out. So far, we've met some pretty fantastic and helpful people.

[​IMG]

Our car is a 1962 Falcon Ranchero, which we have named, Milly. She was donated to us by some very nice men affiliated with a Falcon club out of Austin, and was delivered to us by two equally nice and awesome fellows out of the Third Coast Falcon Club chapter. When we got her, she was on loaner wheels, and she lacked an engine or transmission. We found a fellow on Craigslist that was unloading a straight 6 with a transmission, and four wheels off a 67 Mustang, and we took them off his hands.

Right now we're busy scraping off the 1/4" thick undercoating that's caked to the underside of the car. We were making pretty quick work of it until we got to the rear wheel-wells this weekend.

Anyway, if you're curious to see how we get on, I'll post our progress here, and most likely beg for advice. Here's our latest episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhEmaVT_-y0

Thanks for reading, and nice to meet you all!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Go girls go! You'll find your in for a lot of hard work, but the sweet part is driving your little creation around when your done. There is tons of Falcon nowledge here on the H.A.M.B., and as for myself, if you need any help at all with questions and such I'm just a P.M. away.

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Looks like y'all are having some fun. Thanks for posting, and please keep us updated.

4. richie rebel

richie rebel

stay after it girls,good luck............

5. hahahahaha love the picture! I just got a 62 Comet . what part of texas are ya in?

6. projectmillyfalcon

projectmillyfalcon
    from Texas

Thanks, everyone!

We're in Houston, which means we're practically neighbors! We were out your way for a swap meet a few weeks ago.

7. Finelinefab

Finelinefab
    from La salle

Keep up the GOOD WORK ladies

8. Midget25

Midget25

I can appreciate a woman that likes working on cars, my wife just this weekend was eating compound helping me buff an Anglia I am building. Real women are not afraid to get in and work.Keep at it girls.................

9. aaggie

aaggie

I'm old and retired and live in Porter just North of Kingwood. I can help with welding and fabricating or just about anything else. There should be lots of help available locally with your project.

10. projectmillyfalcon

projectmillyfalcon
    from Texas

That would be fantastic!

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi Ladies.Welcome aboard.Always good to see more ladies getting involved in the hobby.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Congrats on conquering the first phase. Not being affraid to get dirty. You'd be surprised how many women AND men don't work on cars because they might get dirty.

Carry on and ask questions.

13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Welcome Ladies! Milly looks to be a really solid little Ranchero, have fun building her.

14. von zipper

von zipper

Welcome ladies! They're fun cars to drive! AND with a six you get great MPG!! Here's mine! It has a 170,C4 trans, 68 Mustang bench seat,62 Mercury dash pod,and rare 4 spoke Cragars! My everyday driver! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355263483.983858.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355263526.745368.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355263603.634630.jpg

15. n847

n847

Awesome to see you ladies having fun! But please in all seriousness but a new floor jack! I have a harbor freight jack that looks similiar to that one you have and its less than safe with 4 good wheels! I would hate to see one of you injured because no one gave you a heads up. It sounds like you will probably get all the help you need mechanically, but don't forget the safety! My dad was a stickler for that stuff, and I'm glad he rubbed off on me you can't be too safe!

Ok now that I'm done with that! Cool build I love those Rancheros, they make awesome customs. keep us posted!

16. projectmillyfalcon

projectmillyfalcon
    from Texas

Funny you should mention that...we will be using a brand new craftsman floor jack this weekend!

17. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

For some reason, everytime I see an early Ranchero coming together I picture it lowered with scallops. Maybe it was because of the old AMT model kit.

Looks like a good platform to start with. Endless possibilities.

(If it were me, I'd go ahead and convert it to 5 lug though...bigger brakes and more wheel options)

18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

PM me if you need an air cleaner for a 170. I ended up with an extra one somewhere down the line. I had a 62 4 door wagon. Good luck

19. RetroSpeed

RetroSpeed

Welcome to the HAMB.

As I watched your first episode, I was laughing so hard my wife had to see what was so funny and making me laugh out loud. We subsequently watched all the episodes together and she laughed the hardest at your commentary as you and your sister put the Ranchero on jack stands. Although, inventorying the parts and identifying the window regulator as a “Robot Hip Replacement” is my favorite clip and still makes me chuckle just thinking about it.

Good Luck with your Ranchero and please keep the video updates coming.

All the Best,

Christopher & Karin

20. projectmillyfalcon

projectmillyfalcon
    from Texas

@RetroSpeed: I'm so glad you both enjoyed the videos! We tried desperately to keep our jokes PG, but it's amazing how rapidly that deteriorated. Fortunately, my mother and mother-in-law have not disowned us.

And to anyone reading, I have a question regarding floor pans. Is it preferable to buy pre-fabricated pans, or would we be best served learning how to fabricate them ourselves?

21. Very entertaining ladies! Thanks for all of the effort of documenting and posting your build, bravo. It's great to see the enjoyment, it's what it's all about (also a good reason to take a break and have a beer...) Hang with it gals, subscribed.

Floor pans.... if it's a big section with bends and shapes, prefab. Make sure you get well outiside the rust affected area and have good metal to weld to. Your lucky welder of choice should prolly take a look before cutting since he/she will be the one recreating the scene of the accident.

22. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  23. projectmillyfalcon

projectmillyfalcon
    from Texas

Thanks for all the info, everyone! We're one wheel well away from a very clean underside. This coming weekend, we have a welding expert coming over to check out our floor pans, and offer some advice. Here's the latest episode, in which I use my new camera mic to record all the sound, but forget to turn it on. GENIUS!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g7N0qBpp_0E

24. Ladies;

The high point of my day and one of the bests threads I've seen in a while. Good on ya!

25. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Outstanding video, and effort on the Ranchero!
    Really enjoyed the effort put into your "Silent Movie" too!
    Good Luck and remember..... Effort in, Reward out!
    KK

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Awesome! I like the paper bags in the first vid. Perfect touch.

27. Great recovery for a mic turned off!! Pure skill!! Hammer down gals.

28. Subscribed. Way to go girls and go easy with the jack! Texas ladies rock!

29. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

30. Skam213

Skam213

AWESOME!!!you girls are hilarious! KUDOS! I have a 1960 ranchero that I'm building also!