Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I NOT drive a Model A Daily???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

A couple of years ago, the Model A Club of America, held an International Show and Shine meet here in our city. (Calgary Alberta, Canada)

There were over 300 entries. (as I recall) Many of the cars were "100 Pointers" - absolutely perfect restorations - and arrived in trailers.

But there was one "old dog" who drove his stock "A' roadster all the way from San Diego - about 2000 miles!

The organizers held a swap meet. And on his table was a sign that said,
    "Need Head Gasket."

Well being an "A' fan; (mines a '28 Tudor) I told him I could help him out. I went and got the gasket and helped him install it.
    (in the middle of the hotel parking lot!)

As we worked on his "A", he told me that he drove it every day, and had OVER 1,000,000 miles on it!!

He said the secret was, that he kept the brakes and steering adjusted, kept the engine tuned and stayed off the freeways.

We stayed in touch for quite a while. Sadly, he passed away last year. (natural causes)

2. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I'd personally worry more about the Doobie and alcohol than I would driving a Model A.......ever notice how when people get a new motorcycle....everyone has a story about someones neighbors brothers sisters cousins uncles firends brother that new someones daughter that new someone who got hurt or killed on a Bike............it gives people who don't have any hobbies like cars and motorcycles something to talk about that they know absolutely nothing about.........kinda like a politician...hehehe

3. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

In the end, it's just a car, Chris

4. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

"Eer" :D
    Life is dangerous no matter what.
    Might as well enjoy it how you see fit. If that means driving a Model A on a daily basis, so be it.

I'm giving this thread a 5 star rating solely on account of this comment! Lol.

5. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

The problem is all of the other morons out there on the road, not you, your car, or the fact that you drink beer and smoke weed.

6. dromstedt

dromstedt
    from Kansas

My uncle, rest his soul, drove the same bone stock 1930 Model A coupe as an everday driver, winter and summer, for over 70 years! Bought it from an old girlfriend's dad for $15 whole dollars in 1930 something, and drove it until the day he died (last year). Mechanical brakes, no heat, I mean BONE stock. I say, if you enjoy it, do it. Model A might be the most forgiving drivetrain out there.

7. 8flat

8flat

Cool story, love hearing about this stuff!

8. 8flat

8flat

Very very cool. Any pics of the coupe?

9. Drove my '29 coupe from summer 1968 to fall 1969, pretty much every day - at least when I wasn't fixing something on it. You learn to drive defensively, gently, and with dedication to regular maintenance. And there's nothing like hand cranking it in front of an old timer to draw a smile or two from them. Just keep the brakes and suspension tight. Stopping and steering are very important; getting someplace fast not so much.

Attached Files:

10. cw

cw
    from Midland

Check your brakes. The stock mechanicals don't stop like 4 wheel discs. Add chemically induced delayed reaction tIme and you will need a substantial stopping di stance... so leave it in the garAge and we will all be safer ...

11. Just don't look at the vintage car wreck thread and you'll be fine:D

I spent most of my career as a heavy collision tech. Now I teach it. I understand what happens in a collision. So I feel compelled to say. If your going to drive an old car, at all, let alone every day, you really need to be defensive. The fact is these cars are VERY weak structurally. They are VERY dangerous in a crash. Like anything else you have to accept the risk to get what you get from the experience. Most of us here choose to accept it. There might be some that shouldn't.
    I've ridden motorcycles on and off during my life. When I was a single parent with a four year old I sold my bike. At that time in my life it wasn't worth the risk. Now I'm in my "late middle" age and my kids are on there own. I have enough life insurance to take care of the wife, and very little scares me! ..........but I'm still not jumping out of an airplane unless the fucker is on fire!

12. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

[​IMG]

This was taken last Saturday at work, 10am in the morning. Those little lines in the pic are snowflakes falling, we had about an inch by 1pm. I drove home in a sloshy mix of salt, snow, and ice. It was fun but I was aware of the danger the conditions presented, due to all the salt they spread it was my last drive in the coupe for 2012. I look forward to the next three months of maintenance, And then springtime and a new season of fun!

13. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Drive it, maintain it, keep it safe, stay off the weed and beer when you drive it or anything else, just common sense really.

Nothing wrong with a little weed now and then, just like alcohol, moderation is the key.

Don't get buzzed and drive!

14. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I guess I'm as qualified as anyone to post here. From '80-85 this was my only vehicle.
    [​IMG]

It had a 289/C4, drum brakes and bias-ply tires all around and was just a basic hot rod. I drove it when I moved from NorCal to Phoenix, Az to go to school. I lived there two years and drove it everyday and no, it did NOT have A/C! I drove it to and from work, drag raced it, street raced it, picked up chicks in it (or at least tried) and met my wife in it, after I moved back to NOrCal in it. Was it comfortable? Don't be stupid. Was it safe? As safe as anyone is in Phoenix, I guess. As a side note, I also belong to a vintage Mustang forum and one of the guys there who is too young to know any better posted a question about making a vintage Mustang safe enough to use everyday. I found this utterly hilarious because in 2001, I bought my stone stock '68 fastback from a 93 year old woman who bought the thing brand new in '68 and used it for a daily driver for the next 33 years. Yet here was a 20-something wondering what could be done to make the CAR safe! I told him the same thing I'll tell you: put the bong down and learn to make YOU safer. Cars don't kill, people do...

15. youngsspeed

youngsspeed

i drive a Cosworth Vega daily which is hard to get maintenance items for, ie timing belts etc. the feeling of pulling into my kids school to drop him off and EVERY other vehicle is at least 25 - 30 years newer is priceless. i love driving it, even with the smells and noises. drive your friggin car every damned day and be thankful you can.

16. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

When my mom was 7 months pregnant with me her & my dad drove a T-bucket(with no side curtains) in the rain from our house to Nashville (about 3 1/2 hours). You can drive a hot rod whenver & wherever you want. Just be smart and watch the other idiots on the road. Other people are the problem not us hot rodders.

17. willymakeit

willymakeit

A Model A is high on my list for the next build. Banger motor,juice brakes slight lowering ,steel wheels with good tires. Then drive the hell out of it. You only live once.

18. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Yes drive it. My old 34 drove for 6 years cross country 3 times best and most economical ride i ever had. Building another

19. Moedog07

Moedog07

I drove a Pinto daily in High School and didn't explode. Drive it. Gotta be safer than a motorcycle or these 1970's minibikes that I fly through the neighorhood riding.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Consider yourself lucky that you live in a place where the 'climate' allows you to toke-up every day.

21. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Don't drink and drive anything!!....drive the crap out of it thats what cars do...been driving mine everyday from when snow melts till it comes back for 23 years

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

A '74 wagon is my DD, so do you think I'm worried about if my '31 coupe is "safe"?:eek:

23. Drive'em

Drive'em

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I would drive your car every day if thats what you want to do. I drive my coupe every day as well. The only thing I worry about are those who are not paying attention to their driving, cell phones, reading, eating well you get the idea. So I say go for it.