Register now to get rid of these ads!

Factory Y-block dual four intake too much???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31pickemup, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Hey Gang
    I'm putting a slightly hopped up 1959 292 Y-block in my car. I want to run either a Tri-power or a factory dual four barrel intake off a 312. With those teapot carbs is it too much for the street?

2. easyissy

easyissy

Nope. That was the stock set-up on some Birds.

3. Not at all. Like easyissy said. Although those teapot carbs have issues. I would go with newer style carbs or stick with a 3x2

4. The regular teapot carbs were approximatly 390 CFM.

The factory CORRECT dual quad teapots were special units. Each dual quad carb used a pair of brass venturi reduction rings that futher reduced the CFM amount.

I dont think that the real flow numbers of a properly equipted dual quad factory car is known.But its less than 390 X 2.

It should be just fine on a 292 thats pumped up a bit.

Oldmics

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    stillrunners likes this.

5. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

You'll need one of these if you use a factory 2X4 manifold. Note the recessed mid section.

Attached Files:

stillrunners likes this.
  6. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Or use 2 large Holley 2110 or bigger 2 barrels with adapters. They make a great unit for that little 292. Close to 560-620 CFM. Plus, very streetable, And "traditional".

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. And those pans aren't cheap!

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

A 3-2 setup will be substantially cheaper to buy then a 2 4 barrel factory setup due to T-Bird restorers and ran real good in the olden days

9. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Tri powers on a Y block run very well. Especially using 94's and progressive linkage.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

A friend successfully used a 312 dual quad setup on his 54 239 engine... Go for it !!

4TTRUK

11. Good call on the necessary valley pan for the dual quad manifolds.

Flat reproduction valley pans that will accomidate the dual quad manifolds are availiable for about $150.00

But of course a BFH applied to the regular valley pan will do the job just as well and cheaper :rolleyes:

Oldmics

12. No one running 97's anymore?

13. pdq67

pdq67

Way back in the mid '60's my buddy Gene had a .060", 292, Jahns pistoned 11.5 to 1 cr Y-block, with trip Stromberg 97's on it.

AND Hedmann tube headers and duals with the sweetest sounding "Smitties" glasspacks out the back!

Sucker ran strong, but it wouldn't keep up with a good SBC 301" engine!!

pdq67

14. Thunderroad312

Thunderroad312

It will run very well with two fours. I had a'56 Fairlane with a 292, Isky cam,shaved heads w/mild port job. Drove that car every day rain or shine for close to 8 years. Never failed me, performed well and actually got good gas mileage. As old mics said a BFH will fix that valley pan, or get creative and make your own flat one out of sheet aluminum. If you don't have the original teapots from a factory set-up, the secondaries wont work properly because the factory carbs had very light springs in the secondary diaphrams to compensate for the diminished vacuum of two carbs. But you can make them work with some fiddling. BTW some Carter WCFB's have the same bolt pattern as the teapots and will fit that manifold. Much better carbs, less fire-prone. Go for it, Y-Blocks are sweet, and they look great too especially dressed up.

15. Well said!

16. Tedd

Tedd

I'll add that if using non dual quad Teapots, the secondary springs in the model 4150/4160 Holleys are the same as the Teapots. Get a pair of spring kits for the 4150/4160 Holleys and by usimg the long yellow springs, you'll have the same springs as used in the dual quad FE setups. The short yellow springs will speed up the opening just a tad more.

17. And then there is a Mercury Technical Service Bulletin that says to cut off 1 coil of that yellow spring to allow it to open even faster.

Oldmics

18. easyissy

easyissy

Got my valley pan from Larrys Third for around $100

19. Teapots....we called 'em "towering infernos" but to be totally honest, I never ran one on my own personal car.....ran around with my buddy, Rick who occasionally borrowed his brother's 54 ragtop with one on it's massive 239 y-block. We caught it on fire a couple times with a cold-start "cough"...blowing on it, cussing it, pulling the choke closed and flailing it with baseball caps seemed to put it out.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day a friend of mine put a 312 Merc in his 55 Ford along with a Wolverine cam and a 57 Ford Nascar dual quad set up. That car had some balls.

21. They reproduce original style pans or the cast aluminum finned ones?

22. pdq67

pdq67

I'm sorry, I forgot the cam was an old Z-30 solid Isky!

pdq67

23. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

You may find out why that setup was called the towering inferno I found out about 1962. When my freshly painted 53 Merc hardtop with a 312 in it caught fire. It did look cool though.

24. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Used to work for Wolverine. They were in Osseo Mi. I held various jobs but for a while I blackened the pushrods was a trade mark black oxide tubes with cad plated tips. Didn't help performance but sure looked cool. Also machined Timing gears by the thousands. We had a guy that made Cadillac timing chains by taking a link out of Olds units. Or maybe the other way around memory dims. Two brothers named Maxfield started it one was a self taught engineer a dreamer one was a dollars and sense guy guess who ended up owning the company. In the days of the big mergers they were bought by Crane then allowed to wither. A y block with a Wolverine cam just sounded very cool!

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Should look cool and be unique, so go for it.

27. Have any idea where I can find a pair of those Manual Choke Adapters? I missed a pair on Ebay awhile back, not sure what they fit. Any help would be appreciated.

28. Andy

Andy

Stock Cad parts.

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I don't think you will have any problem with running dual quads on a stock 292 Y-Block with a Ford-O-Matic. I don't. Only the FOMOCO intake needs the sunkin valley cover. On YouTube under "Y block dual quads" you can hear mine run. OLDMICS helped out with mine.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  30. This is my mock up.

Attached Files: