Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

You can see that Gerhardt was a thinker, though. Supposedly this wing was adjustable from the cockpit although it's hard to see just how from this photo. At any rate the wing came off after a few days of practice and several drivers took a crack at the Gerhardt Kurtis with Jack Turner being the last one and he couldn't find any speed either. :)

2. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

A lot of teams were planning on running Goodyears in 1964. And both tire companies claimed that tire changes would not be required as both Firestone and Goodyear had tires that would go the full 500 miles with no problems. Reportedly, Goodyear was the first to give tires to the teams for free so that got them a lot of attention. However, after about a week of practice at Indy some Goodyears were starting to show some tread separation and Goodyear management put out some kind of release stating that they intended to do more testing before running their tires in the 500. Depending upon whom you listen to there are also reports that Firestone, in addition to giving their tires away for free, were also writing checks to former Goodyear teams to keep them in the fold. At any rate every car in the 1964 500 ended up running on Firestones and the winning Foyt car went the distance without a tire change just as advertised.

1964 was the start of "tire wars" in Championship racing and they continued until the middle 1970s when Firestone could no longer afford to play. During this period both Firestone and Goodyear bought chassis, wheels, paid huge bonuses to mechanics and drivers, and paid for engines to their respective contract teams; all in the hope of beating the other company and being able to advertise the fact. And in the first couple of years many teams would go run tests on one brand of tire or another in hopes of tweeking the other company into coming back to them with a better offer. I suspect that's what was going on with Granatelli and his Novis being shod with Goodyears in the photo. I've also seen photos of Jim Clark's 1965 Indy winning Lotus 38 running on Goodyears in practice although when it was time to choose it was back to the Firestones. :)

3. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I think Mickey Thompson's cars were on AllStates in 1964, Clark was on Dunlops.

4. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Yup. And the Thompson tires were actually manufactured by the Armstrong Rubber Company and Sears Allstate put their label on them. And while Dunlops turned out to be a problem for the Lotuses in 1964 at the 500 they had performed flawlessly the year before when Clark sat on the pole and won going away at Milwaukee on tires that Dunlop had developed for the American ovals.

5. Thanks Indybigjohn...where did this photo first appear, was it in the Speed Sport News or Illustrated Speedway News or some other racing publication?

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A couple of Mechanical Rabbits, and a couple of roadsters. The first two are Greg Weld, and pic #3 is Lee Bratton. The roadsters are Joe Martincic, and Lenny Waldo. Or perhaps my ID's are incorrect? Also my apologies if these have been posted before, and I just noticed a couple are a couple years past our 1969 cutoff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. sideways27

sideways27

Thank you for the correction regarding the photo. The person I refered to grew up in Huntington Park Ca. where Kelley lived. He was 84 years old when he told me who it was and I know his sight was not very good at the time. He also grew up with Wally and Kenny Parks who were life long friends. He worked for Bell Helmets with another life long friend Roy Richter. He was a sales manager for Roy and went to many racing events including Indy for over 50 years through out his life. He was a racing historian and is well known as such as he wrote books and articals in many mag's. He also attended races at the old Ascot track as a kid. He has passed on shortly after showing him this picture. There was a name on the bottom of the picture that is printed Kelly Petillo. He may have read that and said it was Kelly. Sorry for the mistake.

Bob

8. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Old age, I have no idea where it first appeared. I got Speed Age while I was in the service and stationed in Japan from 1957 until 1960, and I don't remember seeing it there. I found it somewhere on line.

9. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi: Here is the 3rd. Mechanical Rabbit built buy Don Brown and Joe Saldana, it is Joe Saldana at Knoxville Raceway with his mechanic Charlie Martin in 1969. Bill

Attached Files:

10. indianaracer

indianaracer

1965 hilborn 2 1/16 fuel injection. trying to find history on it, sprint- indy car?
    I have owned this for 20 years, just contacted hilborn to find age, they were kind enough to provide me with original order form, just wondering if anyone knows if any one or thing on invoice is sill around, or could be connected to any engine,car, chassis, or builders ect. sold to Auto Power Corp in san deigo feb 3 1965 I bought it in indiana in 1992 just wondering what it has been on in between please help me figure out this piece of history. thanks

Attached Files:

11. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Mickey's cars were not supercharged and they finally locked down the rear steer trying to make it driveable.

12. Buildy

Buildy

Anyone have some good photos of Sonny Ates? I had a request over on my page for him and I can`t locate any in my collection,although I should have a few of him.

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'd like to see more pics of his wife!;):rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. 19Ardun46

19Ardun46

I can remember when Joe's roadster kicked around Lincoln for many years after he stopped racing it, and it had several different owners/drivers during that time, before it disapperared, only to be found by Bill Smith, and later restored to it's former glory.

I have been an avid student of the history of any offset roadster, but I have a special fondness for any of the "Mechanical Rabbit" series of race cars built by Don Brown and Joe Saldana.

15. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Easter, if you have an interest in buying Jerry Richert's 62 Championship Sprint Car...........I know where it is.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

:confused: What 1962 championship did he win? :confused:

17. racer76

racer76

Jim, i did talk to Bud Wachhotz....he does not know what happened the the 76 sprint or the 76 super dad had

18. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

Wouldn't it be fun to have Benny Rapp chiming in on some of the discussion here. He's got a ton of history. Anyone know if Benny is on line, maybe introduce him to the HAMB...

19. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

Heres another view of Bobby Marvin in the #76 sprint car. This is from a 1963 Whos Who in Racing by Hans Abbott.

20. easter

easter

I can't afford to even fill up my work truck with gas, lone enough buy a race car. Thanks, though. Do you mean #62 or 1962? The #62 car was Scratch Daniels and #63 was Jerry Richert (Wagner team mates). Before these guys, I believe the #62 was the car A.J. used to drive and the #63 was the car Johnny Rutherford drove. I'm not sure what Jerry Richert was doing in 1962. I was in the 1st grade.

21. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

in 1962 Richert was driving the#69 McDonald Offy in IMCA races,finished 3rd in points.62 was also the year Jerry won the Knoxville nationals driving Ted Readys car,also #69,this might be the car the late Jake Bozoney showed with the IMCA oldtimers group.The last sprint car Jerry drove[1985] was the #62 Frattalone sponsored car,I believe was also owned by Ted Ready.Please check this info before use since its from memory and I have been known forget what day it is

22. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

23. Buildy

Buildy

The fellow on the left does not look like Billy Arnold to me. However the track and the other driver IDs make sense to me.

Here is the rest of the story,as Paul Harvey used to say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Devore

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Here he is in aother photo-
    [​IMG]

25. Buildy

Buildy

Still doesn`t look like Arnold to me.

That`s neither here nor there to me though,as the Devore-Batten part of the photo is what I care about.

I wonder what is up with Lou Meyer,too. He looks really skinny,I know it is him but never saw him looking like this before.

26. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Did you notice 'Eddie' Meyer peering over the shoulders of Earl and Norm?

Wish the original photo had a better shot of the fellow on the left.

27. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  28. Buildy

Buildy

I`m leaning on the driver on left being Ralph Hepburn after checking other photos of him at that age. Standing with his own car,that would fit.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Richert, Johnny White circa 1962.

Attached Files:

30. Oldtom...I think you are correct with all of the suggestions but I also have memory lapses despite what my log-in name says. Also the winning 1962 Knoxville Nationals car was ( I think) originally built by Frank Kurtis and the cage was a bolt on one and again I think this is the same car that was displayed at the IMCA oldtimers meeting a few years ago. Any help or suggestions from others will be appreciated.