Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much $ to ship a motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Dec 10, 2012.

1. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Need a motor 450 miles away. how much does that coust and who do I call?

2. Rob68

Rob68

Probably cheaper to just drive and get it.

3. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

Get a quote from Uship online.
    If you can strap it to a pallet it or fit it in a 55 gallon steel drum it's easier to handle.

4. metalix_421

metalix_421

agreed^^^^

5. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

R&L trucking is the cheapest/best engine shipper in Michigan.

Rate depends on if the item is on a loading dock or ground level. Destination. Commercial or residential ship/destination. I have shipped and recieved many engines with them.

www.rlcarriers.com/

6. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

thanks! its a little over 8 hour drive each way and about $300 in gas. was just wondering if theres any way to do this and save at least my time witch i dont have much of.

7. phat rat

phat rat

Posting from where to where might get you a haul from right here

8. JasonK

JasonK

I used these guys when I bought my transmission. Seems like Shipping was a hundred bucks? Strapped to a pallet.

9. had an engine shipped through R&L a few years back it was $350.00....

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

The least expensive shipping is usually dock-to-dock. If you can strap it to a pallet and back up to the truck line dock, they'll take it off with a fork lift. Same at the other end. They'll fork it into his truck.

jack vines

11. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dock to dock using Con-Way. Last one I shipped was an iron-headed BBC from Dubuque, IA to Long Beach, CA for $200-250.

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

13. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

There's a truck driver on the ford barn that does this sorta thing..he posts his route and schedule.

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

You might be able to find a driver who is deadheading....typically cheaper than standard freight.

15. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

16. Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      125.2 KB
      Views:
  17. U-haul will rent you a Ford pickup truck that should pull 20-25 MPG for $19.95 a day. I get $180 in fuel costs for 20 MPG at $4 a gallon. $200 seems cheap enough if you can spare a day to do it.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I sold a 454 to a friend on another forum and he arranged to use the company Norm suggested. I had never used them before, but they showed up and I had the motor in one of those Mercruiser engine crates so I used my cherry picker to hoist it up and into his truck. Painless and my friend said they are reasonable. He is in the engine building business and uses them all the time.

All that they require is that the people on both ends have a way to lift the palletized motor into their truck, and a forklift or engine lift will do the trick.

Don

19. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Motors in the verry top of the UP in michigan and needs to go to mt. Clemens MI. I Wish I had the time. thanks for all the posts!! ill look in to them all

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Rent a minivan.......take out the seats......thick tarps to avoid making a mess.......good gas mileage.......and you have your motor in a day.

21. If it is 450 miles in the right direction I may be convinced to be your shipper cheap. ;)

22. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

to answer all the PMs. Pick up in houghton MI, drop off in Mt. Clemens MI.

23. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

$700 when it landed, UPS Freight quoted 250. Quotes are not always valid, and they will rape you. Get a truck, drive a truck.

24. I just bought a motor from a fellow HAMBer in NH, 500 miles from me. Drove out and picked it up, met a couple of really good guys, enjoyed the heck out of the drive. My GF asked me why I didn't have it shipped? The journey is part of the adventure (and it was cheaper).

25. kennb

kennb

I took the back seat out of my wifes minivan a few years ago and drove 350 miles t6o pick up a buick nailhead engine and trans. a friend of mine came along to help drive. Trip was a lot of fun and met some nice people. Ken

26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I had one shipped to me dock to dock probably about 600 miles and paid like
    $ 550.00.
    It was crated and then crate was on a skid.

27. phat rat

phat rat

Are you sure about the mileage? Google maps says 546 mi from Houghton to Mt Clemens. A 100 mi would make a difference in cost

28. Just shipped a 780 lb engine on a pallet with Fastenal's trucking division with 1900 dollars worth of insurance from VT to Tenn for $150. Just need stores in each location that recieve their large LTL trucks. These guys are the best. PM me if you need any more help with the Fastenal folks.

29. $220 in gas if your vehicle gets 20 mpg.

30. mickeyc

mickeyc

I shipped an Olds motor(371) to Southern California from New Orleans
    for a quoted 185$. The company was "Engine Direct Freight". They Picked it up at my shop and I know it arrived in a timely manor. The buyer paid for the shipping and did not mention any additional charges.