Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I NOT drive a Model A Daily???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Here's how you handle the world. Just nod, say "you're probably right". . . then do whatever you want. Come on guys.

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his flip flops and bathrobe.

3. Drive it! I drive my A-coupe daily because I love every minute of it. Nothing makes having to be at work at 7:00 am better than hearing the headers scream the whole way there, and knowing that when its lunch time, I get to go drive a hot rod while everyone else has to go get their lunch in their tupperware car. I say daily, I drive it 300 days a year approximately. If I know its gonna pour down rain all day or I gotta haul something I'll drive the truck, but most days you can count on seeing my chopped, sectioned and channeled A in the parking lot at work. Main thing is to be sure its safe and be on the lookout for the idiot drivers on the road. Drive it and have fun!

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love it!!! :D

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

The Dude abides...

6. Speed~On

Speed~On

Perhaps driving your Model A would be much safer if you weren't under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Just a thought.

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Fuck thats funny

8. Way to go Dude drive the hell out of it. I drove mine everyday til the steering broke, and I rolled it, now it's rebuild time then it will be Rollin everyday again

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Watch it! You girls are getting caught up on a tangent

10. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Right!

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Right!

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Damn rights.

:cool: You're all being very un-duuuuuuude...

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Come monday morning, it's no problem to wake up & go to work. Why? Cause I get to drive my HotRod. Day to day grind in a Hotrod makes it that much more enjoyable.

14. Do you want to die peacefully in your sleep like your grandfather, or go out screaming like the rest of the people in his car? ... Everyone dies eventually. An A with good brakes is no worse than any other car on the road; seat belts and bear claw door latches would be a little common sense though.

15. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I can't answer your question but if I am ever in Valinda, I am looking up you and your neighbor!

16. If it would help to settle you down, I would be willing to trade a Chevy truck for the A and you wont have to worry.

No BS though, its almost as safe as a motorcycle so ride it like one. Expect no one to see you, no one to yield to you, you cannot control everything thing but heads up driving can keep you safe.

drive it and love it.

17. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After I had put my 38 Chevrolet together a divorce followed and for a couple of years it was my daily driver, not sure what drive train you have but the 38 was running a 57 Chevrolet rear and org beam axle with 54 brakes, and a 350 w/four speed. The car stopped and steered (well the org steering was a little loose) adequately -- that was in the early 80's and compared to a stock model A that may have been luxury:) If you feel safe that's the main thing, it probably is a little more crash worthy than a motorcycle (and I ride one of those too)

18. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

I drive my all original 27 model t roadster pickup to high school every day for about 7 months until I broke the crankshaft. I didn't even have side curtains when it was raining. It was a lot of fun had great anti theft and I couldn't get in trouble with it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I drive mine daily except for during the salt season, which began last Saturday. I am curious as to which insurance company you use that will insure you with an A as the only vehicle? If I find one my other pile is going down the road and the A will be my only car![​IMG]

20. oddcraig

oddcraig

As long as the brakes make you stop and you arent driving it like a dickhead you should be fine... Loads of people die in plastic fantastic rice burners as well

21. Fenders

Fenders

I don't understand the insurance comment -- just put regular plates on it -- in my experience insurance companies don't have a cut-off year for what you can drive.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

He's kinda right. For a long time I just had my 27 insured by Geico and before that Century 21. Both of them needed to insure my regular daily driver first then they would accept my 27. If I didn't have a regular family car they would have referred me to one of the collector car insurers, who I have now anyway, in Grundy. I still keep my real daily driver with Geico because Grundy couldn't match the rate on that one though. Even Grundy needed to know I had a normal car to drive daily before I got approved there.

Don

23. weez

weez

I have collector insurance and my wife's new car is my "regularly insured" car.

I guess I'm always on the way to a car show or a club meeting... right?

24. I ride a motorcycle pretty much every single day. Right now I'm living in a fairly hectic downtown area. I still ride my motorcycle nearly every day. I'd rather spend my time worrying about how I'm going to live rather than how I'll die. I love the feel of a motorcycle under me, and as far as the chance of death, to me, the juice is worth the squeeze. Decide your risk vs. reward threshold and plan accordingly. If it would make you more comfortable, add a cage of some sort. If you have dependants and decide that it's just too much risk, make whatever changes you need to feel more comfortable. I'd say with some quality enhancements to your car, you should feel plenty safe in it.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think you two need to lay of the weed for awhile since you are getting a little paranoid.

26. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

It has regular plates and I only carry PL&PD on the coupe as I don't want to be limited in my use of it with collector car insurance. Some time it sucks to live in a county where every one knows everones business.

27. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Don't bogart that A my friend, pass it over to me..

28. Wes_in_NC

Wes_in_NC

Drive it!! A lot of people deny themselves the joy of riding a bike or driving an exciting car because of what "might" happen. I say fuck it! If it's your time to go then it's your time to go......no matter what you're driving:cool:

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, I've seen your Model "A", I'd drive that everyday if it were mine! Just like you drove the "T", and now Mike does everyday. I have never, EVER owned a "civillian" car in my life so what ever hot rod or thinly disgusied race car I have had has done double duty. My '48 Plymouth avatar has racked up 250,000 miles as my only transport all over the country. Yup, it's been hit a few times too, yet it always seems to survive MUCH better than the new "safety bubbles" that seem to feel the need to hit it. Now, that said there is a lot to be said for updates and improvments to our oldest stuff to survive say L.A. or Phoenix's fast moving traffic. I would make sure juice brakes were part of the deal and a T-5 would be in the mix for me, but that's me. And I know someone trying to convince me of NOT driving an antique car as a daily driver has a better chance of convincing a boulder of the same. Do what you want!

30. I Drag

I Drag

So the front end might fall off but it only goes 40mph.

How bad is that going to be? Itll come to a stop in like 20 feet. Just get out.

But it is true, everyone that drives an A will die.

Eventually.

Pass that over here, bro.