Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Shoebox Dash Metalflaking + Hidden Radio Laid Off $0 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mr.Dickies, May 10, 2012.

1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I just have body work to do now for the most part the list is getting smaller. I need to do the filler on the sides where I patched it, hmm doors need work. I was looking for a better set but I guess I'll make them work. The top needs wet sanding to spray and flake. The rear deck lid needs to be finished or if anyone has a 51 deck lid that's not in bad shape for not a ton of money I would love to by it!, Front 50 splash pan needs to me fixed and take 51 back off. Oh and passenger side needs it's door popper put in. Thanks for the offer!

2. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Damn, that's a hell of a deal! Wish someone up here would make me a similar offer! I need all the help I can get...

3. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I just bought a 51 lid from a yard in CO, $150 plus shipping, included the hinges. He's got another one that's in pretty decent shape, a little rust to fix. Let me know if you want his info.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  4. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Nice work on this project. It's starting to look like a car again!

5. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

At Mooneyes!
    IMG_2677.JPG
    Tyler!!!! Taking my hat off and fixing my hair!
    IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG
    Coming back from Mooneyes!

Me filming Blake!
    http://youtu.be/hBo_R5hdw3I
    Blake filming me
    http://youtu.be/CCmagjaZ878
    Yes my trunk popped open and stayed that way for the rest of the jouney home. And popped open twice on the way there! Haha oh well I'll have to fix that!

6. FTW666

FTW666

Bitchin! Stayin productive. Good job.

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

My favorite custom ever next to my car!!! Thanks for the picture Blake!
    f82063c829e457dfe9b3b68a7a3c5610.jpg

8. Wow i can't imagine going for a cruise this time of year. It's like 20 below here. So lucky down there.
    Car is looking great by the way. Big fatty tires and low looks dynamite. Just think it's only getting better every day.

9. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

To rub it in a little I only had a windshield, vent and door windows! Heater is the 302 with no carpet only peal and seal! As nerve racking as it was the last few days I must say it was awesome driving it for a change. There are a few bugs to work out. I messed up the driverside wheel well getting my stupid joke 17" roller wheels out. I was going to wait to take them out after paint but so happy I didn't wait not that I have to fix it. I really am digging the gray primer! I am doing the honey do list right now so I'll be back messing with it. If I had another week I would have had the top flaked. Plus I had to use my junk hood just because I hadn't finished the body work on the better one. My favorite comment was from my wife she said "It looks just like what you started with" It made me laugh.

10. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I like it without the skirts.

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

It only had them off for the drive and right before I left. I was nervous they would fall off. I do have 56 Lincoln hubcaps for both the front and rear. I plan to make a set of flush mounted skirts soon with no lip/flare. I think cars with skirts look lower. I will see I might pull it out front of the house to see what I like better.

12. It's not LOW ENOUGH if you can see white wall still showing below the skirt :eek:

13. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

It can't be any lower without notching the frame and moving up the cross member. I'm not bagging it. I had it one inch lower and it would scap on everything and with a full tank of gas would hit the cross member. I'm a realist with this car and only have $4300 into as it sits including the price of the car and paint to finish it. My goal all along was to build it for under $6000 including interior. So to bag it would be another $2000. My wife's 51 Chevy is bagged that's good enough for me.

14. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Cars with skirts do look lower. I have skirts as well but don't plan to use them. I kinda prefer the low hot rod look. Low and level, or a very slight forward rake.

15. EBW

EBW

Low and Slow with skirts is the way I roll... I like the skirts on yours.

16. BadLuck

BadLuck

what the heck..where have i been.. i missed a lot of updates! looks great buddy! oh, and me likey the skirty skirts :)

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Fast and Low is how I roll! Unless I'm behind Blake haha just kidding Blake.

Thanks I was hoping you made it to Mooneyes. I think I looked at every green car there in hopes it was your ride. I have a ways to go still but I'm happy with what I have so far. Molded in lake pipes and a bit of body work. Wet sand the roof and flake it. I might roll it with the grey just for a while on the bottom. I am really loving this ride!

18. Blake84

Blake84

19. BadLuck

BadLuck

yeah, i skipped it.. my car is getting front and rear glass installed.. and i wanted to wait until the Suede Palace to show it for the first time.. still have a few things im working on.. wont have my interior or vent windows done in time for GNRS.. but im getting closer.. your car is looking great.. i really like what you are doing.. cant wait to see flake on that roof! nothing more exciting than spraying flake haha! CJ

20. Just kidding about the low thing, but my old motto was "It doesn't matter how bad it rides, it's how kool it looks" :D In high school my '51 had about 2"-3" clearance and I think I tore everything that was under that Ford off at one time or another (no such thing as BAGS back then) and it rode like a covered wagon, but damn it sure looked kool coming down a smooth road.

Under 6K sounds and looks like a real good deal on your car. I would much rather bought your car for 6K than the 10K I had to pay for mine. Only one trouble would have been driving it back all the way across the country to WV :eek:

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Ol Skool 51 can you post some pictures of your ride. I have looked and was wondering what the rest looks like?
    I can't think of a better way to travel across the US than in a 1950 Ford Mild Kustom! It has a 302/C4 with Maverick 2.79 rearend. It makes cruising very fun and basically idles at 70-75 mph and gets about 24 mpg. I daily drove this car for about 2 years before I got a company car then drove that piece of crap for 2 years before being laid off. The car drives really nice now even on bias ply tires minus being on rails on some roads. The only changes I plan for as far as under the car is the mufflers. The PO had them run the exhaust straight under the rear end so it that needs fixing and I was to put less throaty exahust on it. I know I have no carpet or sound deadener on the rear half yet but it resonates inside the cabin a lot even with the windows in or open still louder than I would like.

Anyone have advice on a super quiet muffler? Has to be center in/ center out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  22. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Haven't been really working on the shoebox other than fixed the welds on the deck lid when they broke from Mooneyes. I cut on it a little and it fits way nicer. I do think I might get the deck lid from the guy I am getting the doors from. Went to sunday morning coffee with Blake and as always had a slight adventure along the way. And on the way home too! Got a little loose when I slammed on the brakes when I saw a cop wating for people to run the light. Discs stop on a dime but rears are drums so it didn't haha. I wish had it on film. Opps.
    Blackwelder photo shoot!
    IMG_2916.JPG
    As Tyler calls it Blake's "Cop Car"
    IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG
    I showed Tyler this picture he said "OHHH NOOO STUCK". But everything is stuck if it can't be moved or is hard move according to him. He's only 20 months old but knows it's not a good thing when something is on a tow truck.
    IMG_2919.JPG

24. EBW

EBW

Great pics, what happened ??

25. Blake84

Blake84

I ordered an electronic igniter II to replace points. Pretty sure it's condenser and points issue!

26. EBW

EBW

Damn, so is it the New part that acted up ??

27. Blake84

Blake84

Nope old points and condenser so mr dickies suggested get rid of them and go with electric ignition so I'm waiting on the part

28. EBW

EBW

Ahh Ok. And are you running the flathead still ?? 6 or 8 ??

29. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Blake's running a Flatty V8 and I'm running a 302/C4.

30. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

So my son has been home sic for the last week. So I have been taking care of him and sneaking in a little car time when he's napping. So the motor that came out of the Shoebox originally came out of a Shelby GT 350 in 68 when it was in a roll over. So I figured I needed a project while Tyler was sick and it rained. I decided I would strip the 4 layers of paint off. It was like a tree 2 layers of new Ford blue and 2 layers of old ford blue. The plan is to either put this motor in the 53 Henry J or put the rebuild one in. I got a super good deal on a motor when I cut a Mustang up with a guy. I cut it into pieces that people wanted from it. ong story short guy bought a fastback when he was hit the roof half popped off because it was a coupe with fastback roof tack welded under an inch of bondo. I drove the car before I cut it up. So he deducted 33% of what he sold the parts for from the motor and trans. So I ended up paying $20 for a rebuilt motor with less than 5000 miles on. It's a mild built 302. It's in it now and I have driven it over 2000. Nice motor really. So with time to burn and can't work on cars all day I decided I needed a small project. Being testing the waters and seeing if I want a gold motor in the shoebox because I wanted one in the HJ. Here's my nap time project!
    IMG_3238.JPG
    4 coats of paint now off what a pain!
    IMG_3239.JPG
    First coat of high temp white primer
    IMG_3243.JPG
    Second coat of high temp primer
    IMG_3246.JPG
    First coat of Gold Flake hmm I am starting to believe the guys that said painting a motor gold is the hardest color!
    IMG_3254.JPG
    Coat 1,000 of gold Just kidding it's a little over 1 1/2 cans. Edelbrock tall valve covers to clear roller rockers! and chrome pulleys I scored off ebay for $25 to the door!
    IMG_3279.JPG
    Chrome fuel pump bolted on. I decided to paint the Offy intake gold too. Just haven't taken it off yet to do. With sick Tyler and wife out of town it wasn't in the cards.