Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Show us your Neckers Knob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Does anybody use one of these things anymore? Show us yours!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

I'll be the first to admit i was a fng and had to look up what a necker knob was.

In my area theyre refered to as spinner knobs and are illegal to use on public roads. Yet theyre sold at every auto parts store..

Nathan

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. Willy301

Willy301

Around here they are mostly on farm equipment, and are illegal on road vehicles unless it is a farm truck or driven by a disabled person who requires a spinner knob.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

We called them brody knobs or cheater knobs. :)

5. I have a few.. :eek:

This is the one I am using currently - it's a swing-away type (box is in the garage and I can't remember the brand).

[​IMG]

-Dave

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Re: Show us your Neckers Knob

Can we really show that on here ?
    I'll have to borrow a wide angle lens someplace, I guess.

8. I've always heard it called a suicide knob or spinner knob.

I've got an old one from the 60's of Marilyn Monroe (who doesn't) that's been in my 56 Fairlane since forever.

9. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

They were called "brodie knobs", "spinner knobs", "suicide knobs" among other things. They were very popular in the 50's, almost every rod or custom I saw had one.

They are legal in most states since steering wheel attachments just aren't mentioned in most codes. A lot of the 18-wheeler crowd use them. I like them for nostalgic reasons and, like fuzzy dice, remind me of the old days.
    I mount mine on the inside of the steering wheel, that way if you let go of the wheel and it wants to spin back to center, it won't bash your hand or wrist.

Cutting a brodie, or laying a brodie was a lot like doing a burnout is today, only it involved steering the car with the steering wheel and the throttle in order to lay a nice circular patch of rubber on the school parki......er, I mean a deserted street.:D

Not a great view of it but here's mine......

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      129.9 KB
      Views:
    jimgoetz likes this.
  10. They are frowned upon with the law enforcement in our city. HRP

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Mine's on the shelf, in charge of collecting dust. Nothing fancy, just has a compass in it. I had it on a 51 Ford ragtop/Caddy 331 in high school. I also mounted it to the inside for similar reasoning to Waldo53. Idea was that you could steer pretty well with your left hand while you had your right arm otherwise occupied by your girlfriend's shoulder or hand. I also used to practice emergency maneuvers in the parkin....uh....abandoned street, much to the detriment of my tire budget.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've put one on a ski boat, a forklift, and a lawn tractor. Drilled through the steering wheels.

Clamp-ons don't stay put for me. I abuse them.

13. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I've used necking gear on a Model A

Regards
    Greg Hornbostel

14. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

I call em a SOB knob cause I had one on a 55 stude when I was in high school in the 60's and while fishtailing around a corner on a gravel road I let go of the steering wheel and the SOB like to broke my hand!

15. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

They are illegal for a reason -- especially if you happen to be wearing a loose fitting jacket and the knob catches on the pocket in the middle of a turn. . .

Attached Files:

16. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I have one that has an ambient temp gauge in it. Not installed but sitting on the shelf.

17. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

I've heard of them being referred to as suicide knobs here in NY, but I'm too young to have ever used one. Never owned a car that had one installed. I always thought they were cool as hell, though.

18. Muttley

Muttley

My Dad always called them "knuckle busters" because they would give you a good wack if you let go of the wheel after a turn.

19. I'll be using this one on the Tudor!

[​IMG]

20. I heard that you needed a zoom. :D:D

Man you walked right into that one, you did know I was online didn';t you? :D:D:D

Called them thumb busters when I was comming up. I think I got a pic of one that I sent to Austrailia for one of the fellas a year or so back. let me see if I can find it.

Shazaam found 'em. Some of the stuff is missing but the thumb breaker is there. This is the real deal old timmy one.

Attached Files:

21. davo461

davo461

Necking knob? Illegal in Aus too.
    Great on a forklift truck, though!

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nothing flash, Santay foldaway. Stored for future use?

Attached Files:

23. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Love em'! Dont currently have a vehicle with one but my next build is gonna be some sort of sled so it will be a priority.

24. scooterseats

scooterseats
    from East Texas

Necker Knob Huh? Not exactly what we called them in Oklahoma City but it did begin with an "N" and sorta rhymed with Necker. Boy times have changed since the 50's

25. "BAD NEWS"

"BAD NEWS"
    from dallas tx

man i dont have any pics of it but i made one out of a skateboard wheel, it was pretty cool but it went with the car

26. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

27. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

We called them the same in Houston, matter of fact they are still called that by the dudes that use them today..

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry no pix, my uninstalled Brody knob is a drilled out "11" ball - for no other reason than it's red and white, looks the same upside down and eleven doesn't have any negative connotations that I know of. Gary

29. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not a chance...:p