Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi from old fart in Thailand

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by robsamui, Dec 10, 2012.

1. robsamui

robsamui

Hi everyone.

I'm over here in exile in a cheep n cheery semi-3rd-world country where nothing is at it seems, people who don't know how to do it always say yes they can (cos they can't be seen to lose face), and getting hold of all the simple, basic things you fellas take for granted is a nightmare.

No yellow pages, no telephone directory inquiries - 80% of Thai people can't speak English and , even after 12 years, I can't understand half of what people say to me.

I'm on here primarily cos I need parts re-chromed. There's one guy in Nicaragua who is obsessed with a cheap alternative and, like him, I've also got to look for ways to compromise and find alternatives. I reckon he's doing an amazing job and am hanging on his every word.

I've just bought an excellent mycyle but it's a rarity and original parts are impossible to find. And if you guys out there are screaming about the costs of chroming - try this: a simple motorbike air cleaner cover (teardrop Harley style) is gonna cost me $120 to be re-chromed and take one month away on the mainland.

That's why I'm here!

Cheers!

Rob

2. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Hmmm, i always thought thailand might be a nice place to retire. I guess I better finish my truck before I even consider it.... Welcome Rob.

3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

You might want to look up Commodoreswab on here. His wife is Thai and they're planning to retire to that part of the world. He's been kicking around some ideas for a sort of "retirement rod" that would work in that environment.

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Welcome from the west coast of Florida.

Sounds like a strange place to live and find parts for a project.

Jimbo

5. robsamui

robsamui

What - a strange place to live . . . or a strange place to find parts??
    :p

6. robsamui

robsamui

Simple response - SELL THE ROD before you come!
    It's probably easier to get parts in the rain forests of Guatemala!
    r

7. robsamui

robsamui

Thanks for the welcome.

Thailand pros - super cheap for everything except imports, great weather, lots of like-minded expats (particularly in the cooler north round Chiang Mai), labor charges for work averages $4-5 an hour (!), no vehicle tests and police don't often bother with tax, insurance or minor legalities along those lines . . .

Cons - Thai people are generally lacking in general knowledge and world awareness (but are very happy n smiley), language is impossible to learn to speak (never mind reading or writing), few rights for foreigners!

But Ive been here for 13 years so it can't be that bad (but I am on a tropical island . . .) :D

R

8. robsamui

robsamui

ps about vehicles in Thailand . . .

Don't even think about inporting anything here. There is a 200% luxury tax on imported vehicles - and that's based on what they are estimated to be worth here and not what you paid for them.

As a 15 year old Suzuki Samurai in this sort of condition will sell for not less than $2,000 - you'll see what I mean!

R

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012