Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting oil?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buckaroo2869, Dec 9, 2012.

1. I agree that nothing is needed for cast iron, but I tell you what I have found to make the tooling last a little longer. A light amount of plain old air pressure, just to keep the tool cooler. Aim a small air nozzle at your tooling and work piece and set the pressure to 5-10 PSI and of course point the air flow away from you. I have a nozzle and plastic flex tubing made for liquid coolant on a magnetic base hooked up with a air line. Some might say overkill, but I sometimes do a lot of milling on blocks with large end mills and I can say it helps the life of the tooling.

2. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

You need to realize that just because someone posts something on Wikipedia, that does not mean it is right. Lube oil has no place where cutting oil is needed. The fact that some automotive oils were used on the spindles and ways of older machines has no bearing on the subject.

3. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

I was not trying to be rude, but simply stating what I have used at home to keep drill bits cooled and lubricated so they can cut better. It might not be technically "correct" to do such a thing, but for your average hobbyist it will work if nothing else is available. At work (In a tool and die shop) I generally use Rapid Tap, or the water based coolant / lubricant out of one of the CNC's in a spray bottle depending on what I am trying to do. Oil for basic drilling and tapping, and coolant for face milling or using an end mill if the occasion calls for it.

4. try Marvel Mystery oil......its a mystery how marvel-ous this oil really is....for a lotta shit.:)

5. X2 on the Mystic Metal Mover,,and Ive got bottle of a Castrol product called Moly-Dee,,,,works bitchen.

6. Rynothealbino, I wasn't saying you were rude. I agree with exactly what you're saying above. It was a post after yours that I was referring too. Everyone's a bit over the top and just says motor oil can't be used for cutting oil when in fact it can, maybe it isn't the best but it does work if employed like that. Lot's of people say they've used it.

I don't like using adjustable wrenches because they may round off the fastener you are working on, but I end up grabbing one sometimes.

And Commish: I understand wikipedia, no one here has provided a technical reason or explanation as to why motor oil doesn't "act as an adequate cutting fluids in terms of their cutting performance alone" to rebut it. We've only seen some snooty remarks about it's use.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I spent a many an hour operating one of these cutting pipe threads :D I wonder if they still use the sulfur based oil? I know my machinist buddy does not use the sulfur stuff.

8. buckaroo2869

buckaroo2869
    from illinois

Thanks to everybody for their input. Ive used ridgid in the past as a commercial plumber and that was my number one choice but also wanted to hear other opinions as well. Next trip to the big orange home store thats what im gona pick up. Thanks everybody.

9. Curt B

Curt B

LMFAO

"Look! Pa's fryin bacon! mus have sum big ass drillin ta do"

Sulfur levels in cutting compounds have dropped way off over the last 10 years and the cans used to say that the product caused cancer in rats and should be handled with care. Breathing cast iron drilling dust is pretty harsh so if there's lot's to do a flood is a must and when cutting steel ANY lubricant is better than nothing. Here's some good stuff:

http://rocol.com/products/rtd-liquid-reaming-tapping-drilling