Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ron Limbrick's "GHOST RIDER"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 1, 2010.

1. kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Finished the last leg of the Detroit Autorama /Roadster project Tuesday evening arriving back home in Thunder Bay with the package, just as the sun was setting. Tuesday's drive was from Mackinaw, Mich. around the south shore of Lake Superior, through Wisc. to Duluth, Mn then up the north shore to Thunder Bay. One heck of a long but pleasant drive ! Now that it's home, I can resolve a few issues so that I can actually drive it !
    Thanks to all those who helped make this wonderful adventure possible !!!!!!
    All the best,
    Ron

Attached Files:

3. RussTee

RussTee

Ron is a valued poster on the banger thread as well nice to see you enjoying the car Ron

Hapydz likes this.
  4. Thanks Russ ! How are things down under? Better I hope !!!

5. Well, we made it down the crescent last evening in the roadsters maiden run on the street, turned around in a drive way and made it back home last evening, YA HOOOO !!!!. Need to set up the '40 drum brakes a bit, need to make some new rad. rods and maybe take out a leaf or two out of each sprimg but that shouldn't be too hard to do considering.....
    The banger runs and sounds great and the auto GM 200C tranny works just fine and it steers just like a dirt tracker :) Will keep you posted,
    Ron

6. RussTee

RussTee

still getting quakes Ron but we are getting on top of it

Hapydz likes this.
  7. Big Jon

Big Jon

i like it , very clean lines

Hapydz likes this.
  8. Here is a report, in the form of a letter I sent to the tech guy at Zenith, from last weekends outing in Grand Rapids Mn.
    Hi Mike; In 2007, I purchased (from Automotive Test Systems, invoice # 37149)two Zenith 13922 carbs for my Model B powered hot rod that I was building. This past weekend I finally got to drive my car. Everything worked great until the float stuck open in one of the carbs and caused it to flood, backfire and stall ......several times even with tapping on the carb with the handle of a screw driver to free it. I didn't want to take it apart there as we were 280 miles from home so I just put the roadster back in the hauler. I didn't want to risk having someone running into the back of me at a traffic light so we put it away and missed the two shows that we were going to show the car at for the first time in Minn.. A bit of a bummer as you might imagine. An aircraft mechanic asked if the needle valves had teflon coated tips as that can sometime be a problem. I told him that I thought they were as I could not get fuel through one of the carbs when we fired it up for the first time, about a year ago. I took it apart and found a wad of lint packed in the orifice so tight that it was blocking the flow. This was not the carb with the sticky float however. Any suggestions ?
    Ron
    p.s. Mike did offer a couple of suggestions which I will try. [​IMG]

9. The other side of the "Ghost Rider"roadster taken at the beautiful fair grounds in Grand Rapids Mn. at the Auto-Fest always on the last full weekend in July. Two clubs, one town, two different venues within walking distance of each other. One club's big day is on the Saturday ending with a great chicken dinner and the other club's big day is on Sunday, however it has a weekend long swap meet. A great place to meet old friends. Perfect!!!!!
    Ron
    p.s. I'm the lucky "Old Fart" in the middle. :eek:
    p.p.s. As of today, the problem is still not resolved but I do have a couple "Grose Jet" ball valves to replace the needle valves, on order.
    Thanks for the help "Bluto" on the HAMB !

Attached Files:

10. I had the "Black One" out for a bit this afternoon as it was a beautiful Canadian, Thanksgiving Day in Thunder Bay. Have done a ton of adjusting and it is getting better and better. It just hit me on my ride why the doors were making so much noise, I never installed any weather stripping. I guess some of that stuff would really help LOL... Anyway, I took a couple of pictures . How do you like my flame orange, leaf paint job? I didn't even notice it when I took the picture. I removed the full wheel discs so that I could mess around with the air pressures. A totally different look.
    Ron (from up there)

Attached Files:

Robert Crosse likes this.
  11. Another video (with sound) of the "Super B" four banger made the other day. Thought you might enjoy hearing what the Ghost Rider Roadster sounds like these days, after a few mods.
    Ron
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4_teGiAHk

12. A short update on the status of the roadster. I had the headlight bodies painted by the same fellow that did such a beautiful job of painting the rest of the roadster, Shaun Hopkins of Thunder Bay. Also, I felt that the "Super B" needed a magneto to look period perfect so after many e-mails back and forth with Andrew Johnson of [email protected]
    I comitted to a beautifully restored Wico Magneto for the Ghost Rider Roadster. I won't be getting it for awhile but I will post pictures when I do.<!-- e -->

Attached Files:

13. Here are a few pictures of the restored mag. I will be picking it up next week on our way to Grand Rapids Mn. I sure hope the flooding problems that I had there last year have been solved. I guess only time will tell...:eek:
    Ron

Attached Files:

14. That is a nice car. Thanks for the link

Hapydz likes this.
  15. I just found this thread.
    Another unbelievable car.
    That is amazing!!!

Hapydz likes this.
  16. Thanks Flowmeister !
    Ron

17. Had a wonderful time in Grand Rapids Mn with the family (and roadster). Had a chance to drive it quite a bit and it worked great except fro the brakes needing a bit more adjustment. It handles very much like a dirt tracker which pleases me to no end. A few pictures from the weekend in a small Mn town with two car clubs holding their big events for the year, one on Saturday and the other one on Sunday. If you are in the area on the last weekend in July, don't miss it as it couldn't be nicer.
    See you there next year ?
    Ron

Attached Files:

• GR 6.jpg
      GR 6.jpg
      File size:
      487.9 KB
      Views:
    • GR 7.jpg
      GR 7.jpg
      File size:
      427.4 KB
      Views:
  18. The "B" with the mag installed.
    Ron

Attached Files:

19. RussTee

RussTee

Very nice Ron always look forward to your reports glad it is running well now all the best for the upcomming festive season.
    Rusty

Hapydz likes this.
  20. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

A totally different look, but no less amazing.

Hapydz likes this.
  21. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I just found this thread ...or I should say, fortunately I was pointed here. I'm glad I just went through the entire thread, commentary, pics and vids. Wow, what a special roadster! Congratulations, Ron. This is very inspiring.

Hapydz likes this.
  22. toranaback

toranaback

Ron,
    What an insperational thread! i absoutley love your roadster Great work !!!
    Mick

Hapydz likes this.
  23. I met and talked with Ron and his son this last summer at the local Itasca Vintage Car Show and Swap in Grand Rapids, MN. We looked at his car, and asked lots of questions. The pics of his car don't do it justice. The workmanship is fantastic. You have to see it to believe it. His car is the nicest Track T I've seen. Ron I haven't forgot to send the pics of the shop, I just haven't had the youngest boy here to show me how to do it. Have a Merry Christmas. Steve

Hapydz likes this.
  24. I would like to thank you all for the very kind words ! I sure have had a lot of fun with this project and I can't tell you how many nice people I have met because of it. My son Myles and I will be taking it again to the Detroit Autorama in March which is a great joy for me as he lives 1000 miles from us and I don't get many chances to spend time with him. He recently completed the new show board which I have attached.
    Seasons Greetings to all !!!!
    Ron

Attached Files:

25. Just wanted to wish you all the very best for 2013 !
    May you get a clean bill of health from your dentist, your cardiologist, your gastro-enterologist, your urologist, your proctologist, your podiatrist, your psychiatrist , your plumber and your accountant !
    Ron

Attached Files:

26. It's been awhile since I've posted here so I thought I would bring the story of the "Ghost Rider Roadster" up to date. In March of this year, Myles and I showed the roadster again at the Detroit Autorama but this time it was in the lower level in what they call "Autorama Extreme". In this part of the show things are much more casual. That is , very few cars were roped off with stantions so that you could walk right up to the car and check out all of the details. I must admit I really enjoyed this format !!! Met a bunch of great people and we were lucky to have been chosen by Roy Brizio for his celebrity pick. We also were awarded the sponsoring club's "Outstanding Traditional Roadster". Very big stuff for a kid from Thunder Bay, Ontario...:D All in all a wonderful five nights in Detroit...
    The roadster is back in Thunder Bay now getting some final tweaking done out in the shop so that maybe, just maybe I will get some miles on her..:rolleyes:
    Ron

Attached Files:

27. Final Final Final.jpg Jeff arranged a photo shoot with Street Rodder Magazine that happened almost two years ago. I'm happy to report that the roadster is featured in the 2014 Sept. issue. Chuck Vranas did a beautiful on it !
    Also, my son Myles has started the show board for it for the 2015 Detroit Autorama Extreme.
    Ron

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  28. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Ron,

Thanks for pointing me to this thread....love your vision, execution and attention to detail.
    That Mag was the crowning touch for that beautiful motor.

Bob

Hapydz likes this.
  29. Well the little roadster will be coming home in June from showing for the third and last time in Detroit at the Autorama last March, and the roadster will be looking for a new home.I have a new project which requires funding so......... You can check out the new project here on the HAMB under the heading "My '32 Ford coupe found its way back home after 56 years ."