Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Great job .. sounds sweet!

2. ezdusit

ezdusit

Wolfhound,
    This is still one of the great threads! Can't wait to see that Mopar moving under its own power.

3. Here's the latest batch of progress on Blue. :cool:

The trans. was being held up by the funky looking stock rubber mount.

[​IMG]

I found a more conventional rubber mount...

[​IMG]

The original crossmember got chopped out to clear the new motor and trans. So when I built the new trans. crossmember I added a couple braces...

Mounting brackets...

[​IMG]

Tacked together for a test fit..

[​IMG]

Welded up and finished off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drilled holes in the frame and welded in flange nuts for attachment...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted up nice and in the car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Disc brake conversion time...

[​IMG]

After floating around in the trunk for a couple years the rotors needed a little love...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calipers cleaned up and loaded...

[​IMG]

All together...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's where it gets fun! :rolleyes: Passenger side wheel went on just fine...driver side, not so much. After a little head scratching and measuring it turns out the rotor was bad! The center hub and wheel studs were off in relation to each other and the wheel wouldn't go on. Check the clearance on the hub...

Daylight on one side...

[​IMG]

Tight on the other...

[​IMG]

A trip to the parts store for a new rotor and all is well again...

[​IMG]

5. kennkat

kennkat

:)here are some pics that may help you ...They are of the back end of a 55 331. Shows the crank flange, the converter and the third pic shows the block plate and bell housing, also see the dust shield that is removed from the bottom to access the converter nuts...
    And if the "270" poly is like the 331/354/392 family (Windsor "poly" motors have the same lower end as a similar sized early hemi, & the heads fit...) there might be hemi heads somewhere on our planet for you...:):):)

Attached Files:

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

yea, i didnt like that tranny crossmember either, but the car had to be able to roll for its trip back east. I really like that new tranny member. What was the trans mount you ended up using?

7. Now for a new master cylinder setup to work with the disc brakes...

What I had to work with. Single pot M/C that was also the pedal mount and pivot...

[​IMG]

New dual pot M/C and bracket in the making...

[​IMG]

New M/C bracket in place with a couple gussets..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you haven't guessed already, the stock M/C was gutted and the pushrod will run through the old M/C to the new one. Here's the new pushrod in the making...

I started by turning down the old M/C pushrod so it would slide inside a piece of 3/4" OD x 1/2" ID DOM tubing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hole drilled for a rosette weld, can't be to safe on brakes!

[​IMG]

A rod end on the other end will provide the adjustment...

[​IMG]

Welded up and ready to go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To keep the new M/C under the floor level I had to lower the original M/C bracket down approx. 3/4"...

[​IMG]

I added a gusset to the bottom as it looks like it was originally part of the crossmember?

[​IMG]

Double checking fit and clearance on everything...

[​IMG]

It welded up decent for as cramped as it was :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New access panel in the floor...

[​IMG]

Mounting bracket for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder...

[​IMG]

All blown apart for some paint...

[​IMG]

8. Everything back together and re-assembled with grade 8 hardware...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it even cleared the crossmember!

[​IMG]

9. It did the job for 3,000 miles on a tow dolly. I actually have no idea what that trans. mount is suppose to go to. I bought a bunch of GM mounts once and got shipped that one by mistake, I've got the box in came in with part number, will look it up.

10. Even though the steering column tube had been clearanced for the exhaust manifold, after everything settled out they had decided to become one :eek:

[​IMG]

A little modification to the motor mounts and I was able to get some clearance. I recessed the repair in the column tube to gain as much clearance as possible...

[​IMG]

11. That's all for now. Waiting on the radiator and some other parts for the next phase...

[​IMG]

12. 73RR

73RR

Very Nice!

13. n847

n847

Wow...nice work on the brakes!

14. Damn, dude! :eek: That trans crossmember looks stout as hell, and the disc brakes look awesome. Another step closer to being able to drive!

15. Brake lines and trunk mounted battery...DONE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice work on those brake lines Dan! Seems like one of the biggest pains of making up new brake lines is doing a nice neat job and getting all the radii just right the first time. Looks like you nailed it.

17. 4msfam

4msfam

Looks great! Just one question. I think you have two drum brake residual valves in place on both lines? I think the front line should have a blue one (assuming Wilwood or Speedway sourced) for your new disc brakes up front? Again, looking great!

18. Scott_Rod

Scott_Rod

Ahhh,,, if you look real close, the one on the top is a 2 lb. valve and the bottom is a 10 lb.

That Danno is on the job!

Dan must have special ordered matching purple ones for color coordination!

Seriously, this thread is an excellent tutorial on how to do the right things in the right way.

Good work!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  19. 4msfam

4msfam

Cool! Didn't have my readers' on! :)

20. Fan shroud fabbed up for the new rad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ooooh, purdy!

[​IMG]

Inner fender sliced and diced to clear the motor / alternator.

[​IMG]

Had to make a new filler panel for the front of the inner fender to close up the hole left by the old fresh air tube.

[​IMG]

Wiring is underway...

[​IMG]

Rebuilt dash light sockets

[​IMG]

21. Thanks guys!

22. As Scott suggested I stripped and re-anodized them to match ;):D

They're marked 2psi and 10psi, they both showed up that color when I ordered them...they must have run out of blue anodizing that day :confused:

23. 4msfam

4msfam

Dan... I wish you were in WA state.. the level of detail in your build (precise brake line bends, your master cylinder build, trans cross member, etc) really shows! Makes my '55 pale in comparison!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Marc

24. Looking awesome, Dan! I can't wait to get 'Ole Blue back here in my garage again.

25. Radiator, shroud, hoses, etc. are in...

[​IMG]

Ran the fuel line on the outside of the frame to keep the exhaust heat off of it..

[​IMG]

Clutch line is done and clutch is bled. Couple of loops to take care of the vibration...

[​IMG]

Throttle linkage and return spring are done...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing left to wire is the add on turn signal switch. All the wiring is run in asphalt loom, the only exposed wire is the leads to the distributor from the coil...

Engine bay...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trunk...

[​IMG]

Not much left to do now!

[​IMG]

26. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

That's Awesome Dan!

27. Looks like I'm about a turn signal and a driveshaft away from being able to drive my baby home!

28. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Awesome Christmas present !

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Hi Wolfhound423.Noticed the translucent red fuel line used to connect the two carbs.Have read that that stuff in not very tolerant of the alky laced fuels that we have to put up with today.Might want to consider changing to a more gas resistant type.Hate to see all of your blood,sweat and tears go up in smoke.
    Just a thought.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. The jolly old Elf is gonna have a tough time stuffing her down the chimney!