Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51' Fargo Dodge on Dakota frame(boxing crossmember frame help)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrag, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looks like a fun build! Welcome from the other end of the province!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Here is a picture of my kids Studebaker...

[​IMG]

it's a good solid truck, just worn out.

3. terrag

terrag

very cool truck! what a great truck to start with. lucky kid

4. terrag

terrag

got nothing done all weekend. hurt my back. hopefully I'll be able to start on the box floor this week.

5. servi53

servi53

good luck with your project, like where this is going

6. skull

skull

nice truck:D

really dig those old dodge trucks.

use the tailgate, it will look much cleaner and give her a finished look instead of---
    0H these will cover the hole look..

are you leaving the patina?

Later :cool:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  7. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

Keep up the good work. You're gonna love driving that truck on the dakota frame, i know i love mine

8. terrag

terrag

Hey Skull... I must say your truck/build was an inspiration. I plan on leaving the patina only because I can t afford to do the body over this year... it will be a work in progress thats drivable. Although I suppose they re all "works in progress"

Also.. I found a second tailgate that I think will fit much better. its on a fargo but also says dodge.

9. Very nice build you have going! You stole that Dakota for $750. Great basis.

10. 52lomofo

52lomofo

hello from PEI

11. fun to watch someone else that runs the basic same ideas as I am doing. Mine is on a 91 Dakota frame. I built a front panel for my bed out of an extra rear cab piece so it has the same curve as the cab. I then took the original front panel and made a new tailgate out of it and welded the emblem back in the correct spot. It turned out really well. I have some threads on here on my build. I am suscribing to this one. Good job!!!!!!

12. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

These trucks are so cool. Eager to see the results.

13. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Can the cross member above the rear axle be turned upside down & moved inside the frame for more bed clearance? From pic 1 on post 23 it seems possible but not certain.

14. I changed mine around (cut and refit) so it matches the height of the rest of the frame. If you want pics, I can get them in the next day or so

15. terrag

terrag

Moparman...I ve read many of your threads. lots of grest info and I love what your doing. Stick around.... I could use your input

Pics would be great!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  16. terrag

terrag

Yah I looked at that... if i wanted the floor as low as possible i could space the ribs so the crossmember was between them. should clear fine. Haven t decided if I'm going on that body line for simplicity or gaining another 3 inches and notching around the wheel wells and box stamping.

17. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If it was me I'd move all bracing to inside or under the frame and rest the wood on the frame, or close. If its to be used as a truck I'd want to maximize the bed space.

Actually if it was mine I might try to get the kick-up out of the frame, and run tall skinny truck tires, but I have weird taste that way. I like the stock ride height.

18. terrag

terrag

yes i know what you mean... I'm really struggling with that desicion right now.. a cleaner bed floor mounted higher or a more usable bed. I'm trying to figure out how to make it look clean or done well to my abililty

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

You can trim the hump off the frame, modify the crossmembers, and move the angles lower on the box sides, to get the floor lower. Whatever you do, you want some floor support if you plan on hauling anything, and if you mount the floor directly on the frame, after a very short time, the squawks and other funky noises from the metal rubbing against itself will decrease the driving fun. When these things are rolling down the road, lots of stuff moves around. Build accordingly or the unpleasant noises will come, or at least they do in my world. Gene

20. If you can somehow shave about 2-1/2" or so off the frame hump, then box that portion and also reinforce it with a crossmember or two near that point, that might do the trick. You'd still have frame strength without the risk of bending in that area.

21. terrag

terrag

Well I decided to plant the bed floor where I originally planned. there was a major deflection in the bed sides at the top of the fender. putting the floor frame lower would not take it out. Atleast blocking it there wouldn't.

I'm not going to use it as a truck very much and I'm ok with the space I have.

Attached Files:

22. terrag

terrag

more pictures just cause...

Attached Files:

23. Hey Terrag great to see another Pilothouse being built on the east coast. Looks like you have a good solid body there, very hard to find in NS. I've got a 51 Dodge as well but my progress is much slower than yours.

24. Your truck is coming along great!

25. terrag

terrag

thanks fellas...i'm really happy with the way is coming together.

26. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Just curious, how much would you have to raise the body to get a stock ride height & stock bed height? Looks like about 5-6 inches?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

In order to maximize space at this point, I think I'd plan a false floor towards the front of the bed, maybe with a door built into the floor to access it, and mount a tool box in there. Also, to combat the visual weirdness when you open the tailgate, you could build a drawer into that space. Maybe mount a spare up under the bed ahead of it, and keep a jack and lug wrench in the drawer? As a carpenter, I am sure you could make all that look nice, and it would save a good deal of useable bed space too.

28. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nice progress. I missed buying one a while back 46k miles,always stored in barn with a hydro/clutch? tranny. Worst part they sold it for 300.00 Oh well.

29. terrag

terrag

Yah, about that.. it would look sillyi think. the frame under the cab would be below the running boards. Good for some 35 in tires or something. haha

30. terrag

terrag

Funny.. a friend of mine mentioned the same thing... I think its a great idea. Great to hide away tools, a cooler, or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.