Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Old Name for a Historic Highway in Iowa and a cruise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DWDarby, Aug 29, 2012.

1. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Damn seeing this really makes me miss cruising weather,see ya next year!

2. thedreamer

thedreamer

I just joined a month ago. I wish I would have known about this I would have been down for a cruise. I work for the City of Altoona and we still have our Highway 6 signs up for the people who don't know what road they are on. Sounded like fun. My truck is probably to new though. Its a 69 GMC. If its cool to cruise with ya then maybe next year.

3. DWDarby

DWDarby

It's more than cool! We aren't that picky about the vehicle. If it is something not an SUV or a minivan, etc... it's good to go. A 69 Jimmy would fit right in.

BTW, we want to put our Historic Route 6 signs up between Newton and Altoona. Since you work for the city, you may be able to help us make that happen...

4. DWDarby

DWDarby

Rob, you totally made Day 3 for us! Looking forward to seeing you next year.

[​IMG]

5. robertsregal

robertsregal

thanks for sharing, looks like a cool cruise!

6. thedreamer

thedreamer

PM me with your contact info and signage info and I will talk to the powers that be at city hall. I think the sign looks great.

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

Is there a 2013 date set yet?

8. DWDarby

DWDarby

Yes there is. August 23-25th (Friday-Sunday) 2013. We're pretty excited about it, too. George the Chili King is going to have car hops, and we plan on doing some vintage apparell contests, among others.

The cool thing about this cruise is it's no interstates and no chain restaurants. You get to see Iowa like you've never seen it before, and you not only get some great food and service in a unique atmosphere, but we give small businesses across Iowa a great day at the cash register. It's win win!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  9. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Sounds and looks like a great cruise. Not sure if I'll be able to make next years event, but I do plan on making a trip down Historic 6. Thanks for what you are doing to preserve and promote America as it should be. CHEERS!!!

10. Sounds like an awsome time, count me in.

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

America still exists on small roads and small businesses. That chile dog is almost reason enough to drive to Iowa. Thanks for doing what you are doing. We need more of these kinds of events all over this country.

12. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Will be there in 2013, love Georges Chili dogs.

13. iarodder

iarodder

Hey just an F.Y.I. I live in Newton, I'd love to help out with Newton Hwy 6 stuff if I can, P.M. me some info and what your looking for as far as help and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction and see what I can do from my end also. I love the idea I have a few places we might be able to tour if anyone is interested and I'd love to work out a stopping point for the day or maybe a lunch just as a few ideas?

14. DWDarby

DWDarby