Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEXICAN JUNK,what i found.... pix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled, May 17, 2007.

1. sled

sled

Df is very crowded, 20million souls and counting ..but yeah,like every other big city there are is a lot happening all the time...safe place too these days!!
    It has lots to discover,art ,music,tradition,markets etc..

Yep,there are many commercial flights directly to DF from Houston and Dallas every day ,easy done...

2. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Great finds down there !!

3. The_Stig

The_Stig

Hardly a dent to see on those bodies. Remarkable, it's.
    Cuba would be nice to do a little harvesting in, once that stupid trade embargo gets lifted. Pressure your congressman

4. sled

sled

Something that you dont see daily...german class here!

1952 Mercedes 300SL Cabriolet,one of 46 made in that year and one of 202 made from 1952/55

These are handbuilt cars,very expensive and a straight inheritance from the 30s Mercedes..but with a better 50s tecnology!!

As far i know this was one of three in Mexico...just sold it abroad probably for a frame off restoration from the next caretaker..at list i had the pleasure to drive it!!

Attached Files:

5. sled

sled

Been to Cuba couple times just to check out cars out...very close from Mexico and cheap flight to go,can go anytime...but the iron tin over there is really not worth it...they dont have a spare from 1959,can you believe it ???

Sad and contrasting place to be,many cars all over but if you look closer..man o man,i would'nt touch most of the stuff...too way gone!!

Chicken net and sort of homemade bondo to hold that look a like body togheter,plus russian diesel engine,any sort of adaptation to keep that thing running...poor guys!!!

Sure,they have some cool stuff hidden away and they wont show it much cause they are scared of the government guys takin it away from them..i feel sorry for those guys!!

6. sled

sled

Ah,looks like that is already possible to drag out stuff from Cuba..heard it somewhere but from good reliable sources

7. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Neat thread, I watched a documentary called "Yanks Tanks" about the american cars in cuba and how they keep them on the road. Very interesting and some insight on what goes on in the country.

8. Yeah...from what I've seen, you probably don't want that Cuban stuff.

If the movie "Yank Tanks" is any indicator, there's a few nice ones and a ton of them that are the car version of Frankenstein's monster.

9. FTW666

FTW666

I want that hearst for xmas!!!

10. sled

sled

11. The_Stig

The_Stig

You could probably get them out. But you'd have to ship it to Canada, first

12. sled

sled

Nahh,Mexico is way closer,trust me.Why go far away to Canada??We're free to go to Cuba from Mexico anytime,in and out

With good contacts in Cubalse it can be done these days...some germans did it many years ago when it was not possible to take out anything,with the help of some heavy foreigner politicians close to Castro..its a fact!

13. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

I personally thought this documentary SUCKED.
    A waste of money for me.

14. sled

sled

Never heard of this documentary ...mmm,curious to see what they shown then..oh,well:cool:

15. Even if you could get one of those relics out of Cuba, the problem is the price. Take a look in the Cuban version of CL. http://www.revolico.com/autos/carros/ The prices they're asking are ridiculous when you figure in the exchange rate. 1 CUC is equal to one US dollar.
    Would you pay $9500 for this?
    http://www.revolico.com/autos/carros/biuck-50-de-petroleo-en-buen-estado-5-296-85-01-4521321.html

16. sled

sled

Bomb,thanks for the link..of course you're right and it prooves my point of cuban stuff NOT worth it a bit...i knew this since long ago and also again,they have no spares since 1959..so they adapt any sort of mechanical contraption in most of those cars...and bikes too!!
    Too bad...there will be few hidden things worth saving it but it takes time and effort to scarf ejm,same as we are doing elsewhere...sure will be fun to take off ex Batista stuff from there but it has already been discovered more than two years ago...wonder if somebody took it off from Cuba thou...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I knew a guy who got some motorcycles out with great difficulty. I think he got caught too and did a little time there. All transactions go through the State. They buy real low and sell real high. There is stuff hidden away there by foreign nationals that have gone in and purchased and they are just waiting.......
    There is far nicer stuff in North America, Central America and South America than here. Years ago I looked at some motorcycles that were brought out. They had brazed on alloy, welded rods together, etc. All the things you do when you are desperate.

18. sled

sled

Bomb,as usual they have to be some good deals far in between...this 58 caddy is way too high also...had the chance to buy the same type Caddy here in DF 5 years ago for 10K aprox,mint original interior and all stock,black car too...30K for this one plus hassle its not worth it but i got your point,sure!!Thanks for showin up some real cuban prices,i think its the first time here that is happening

Still i love to go and hang out a bit but is damn expensive...1 CUC (cuban peso rejacustado) in reality its worth it way more than a dollar there,in real life terms..it seemed to me more like 1 euro (1.70 usd value aprox now) at that time...money was disappearing quick,i perfectly remember...

19. sled

sled

Somer buddy,you're right in all the points as far my experience tells in such countries...also from Mexico there are guys that already bought lot of stuff and they are just waiting for the borders to be opened again...

Fully agree on best stuff everywhere from north America down to Patagonia...you made me remember one knucklehead bike bought from some germans probably 20 years in Cuba,it was a startin bike and engine turned to life...when disassembled to be rebuilt the whole engine was almost not savable..all stuff was totally worn out and with some wooden stuff inside,incredible but true...so,what you see its still just the surface...no way Fidel!!

20. sled

sled

Back in action with some mexican junk...here a 58 Vette is good running conds..matching numbers,a driver,not a show car at all.. owner is mexican but lives in Texas and comes back one in a while to this house ..car runs fine...has to be ,he says,cause those love tours with some chicks in Acapulco,ya know;)

Attached Files:

Salt Flats Speed Shop likes this.
  21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

This thread is awesome! It took a couple of evenings but I got through it. Thanks for sharing! Those '58 Impala convertibles would look great at my house ;)

22. sled

sled

lewk,glad you like it...send me your address so Ill send an Impala over

23. HotRodWillys

HotRodWillys
    from California

Hey,.. maybe thats where Jimmy Hoffa has been hiding all these years? :cool:

24. sled

sled

mmm,i gotta ask...who's this Jimmy Hoffa guy then??What's the deal with him??:cool:

25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

26. sled

sled

27. sled

sled

Here we go finally...running all over recently but i tought to post somethin new just in time before the end of the year...looks like there is a good number of these 35/36 Ford convertibles around Mexico (i wish they were roadsters) but anyway..this is coming along great..im closin a deal with a norwegian friend and this car will be shipped this comin juanuary to Europe then..will mount a late 48 flattie,all the parts (car is 90% or more complete) and off it goes...another happy ending, fellas

Attached Files:

28. sled

sled

Somethin different ...a cute 57 Vespa faro basso ,italian made by Piaggio and one of the best restored ones i saw i years..57 is the last year for the headlight in the fender.

Painted in the original mint color makes a cool matching with brown leather seats and it has plenty of cute stainless steel details

I bought this one couple days ago for another pal o mine wich is into italian stuff..it could have been sold way before but sometimes you get lucky and bingo...so,another happy friend will get this one shortly and its all for this year ,fellas...wish you all a motoring Happy new Year :D

Attached Files:

29. Sled.

You keep on supply us Skandinavians with nice cars.That 36 vert looks fine and with a nice stance, skirts and a carsontop. Yummi

Happy New Year. Kenneth