Register now to get rid of these ads!

Assassination MG A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iBorg, Jan 22, 2011.

1. iBorg

iBorg

I'm hoping someone on the board might have a photo or insight they could share. I have always had a great love for the Assassination MG A of Guzman and Ward out of Colorado. Has something to do with my first car being an MG and this is what I really wanted it to look like.

Anyway, on the hood bubble is the number 427 for the motor. Any information as to what's below that would be a great help. Here's a feature on the car.

Attached Files:

Jared P Whorlow and Jigger like this.
  2. iBorg

iBorg

Quick post to subscribe.

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

5. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

7. One of my favorites, those guys got a ton of magazine ink in the late 60s.

8. jick

jick
    from london

good call!....i love that car! particularly in the green.

my father-in-law has a really nice MGA.....i've showed him pictures of this one in the past and told him that he should let me at it.......he doesnt seem too keen on the idea!

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm probably not a lot of help but its a good bet that that had a 427 cu. Chevy. It was running AAM/SP first A is because its supercharged 2nd A is the top of the Modified Sports class. We ran BM/SP with a 327 cu. in a 51 MG TD the car weighed in at about 2400 lbs. I think the weight break for A was 5#/cu.in. I also think that in the early S/G days there was an "Assassin " sports car racing. Our car at Island Dragway 9/25/10

Pat

Attached Files:

10. iBorg

iBorg

Here's the best picture I've seen. Its from the Hot Rod story.

Attached Files:

11. LeoKrack

LeoKrack
    from Kansas

They ran with 511 cubes and was a killer. Same goes for their Corvair FC's.

12. 34 Hound

34 Hound

Doesn't look like a trad rod to me, but...... my first car was an MGB coupe. LOTS of fun even with the basic engine.

13. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

MGA's made interesting customs too.

Attached Files:

14. slammed

slammed

It is (was) a clean, fast TRADITIONAL '60's drag car. It is dripping with period perfect everything, FNG.

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Guzman and Ward ran a few cars under the Assassination name. I thought they ran not only the MGA but seem to remember the green car as an Austin Healey (can't swear to that). It has been reported they ran a big block Chevy and I have read they ran small block Chevys as well. They won class at Indy in 66 in AA/MSP and my guess is they had the big Chevy in it. I seem to remember the car at Indy in 67 or 68 although that could have been another car (maybe Manning). After 67 and the elimination of Modified sports they ended up running in altered I believe.

If you look in Larry Davis' Gasser book you will see they ran a Torqueflite by Earl Dody and they also were sponsored by Viner Chevrolet on both the red car and the green car. Always thought it would have been cool to find an original or recreate the car at the very least.-Jim

16. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

You might be thinking of Norm Cowdrey's "Superstition"

[​IMG]

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rick you may be right on that. I seem to remember a green Healey running in modified sports.-Jim

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool post -Thanks. not a MGA but, '48 MG modified in '48 by Alex Xydias and Doane Spencer at SO-CAL Speed Shop

Attached Files:

19. isaac's mouse

isaac's mouse
    from Omaha

i remember it running at our local track,omaha dragway back in the day, but it was guzman, ward & klein. i believe art ward drove it and their funny car which traveled with it. later it was guzman & dekker , who i believe lost his life in a funny car.

20. jgood67mgb

jgood67mgb

Does anyone know about an MGTD raced in BM/SP with "Cheevers" and "O and OW" painted on the body? The "O and OW" part is very faded and may be part of longer names. Thanks Jim

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

there was a black one out of wichita around 1960---one of the guys was named Jauno --had a sbc or early olds---later became the barefoot automotive car out of joplin

22. I grew up watching and helping my dad, art ward and Roger Guzman work on the car's, the assination 2 is red and white, they had the green angels car, the purple pinto and more, I'm looking through old pictures and looking for more pictures

Attached Files:

rod1 likes this.
  23. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

In red, from another thread. MGA.jpg