Register now to get rid of these ads!

Th-200-4R Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Dec 8, 2012.

1. I'm in the process of building a TH-200-4r transmission for one of my projects. I am by no means a transmission guy and I am doing this with the help of a friend who makes his living at it. I call him "coach."

The TH-200-4R will go behind a Buick 300 in a track style roadster. "Coach" has suggested abandoning the lock up torque converter and substituting one used with a TH-350. He says I will benefit from a lighter rotating mass and easier/simpler installation and that the increase in transmission fluid temperature will be negligible.

Art Carr sells a valve body kit that eliminates the lock up oil flow.

Any HAMBers have experience running a TH-200-4R over the road in the unlocked mode? Interested in your input

2. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I've been around a few of them. They seem to be the best choice for going non-lockup if you are choosing to as they have the steeper od gearing. The one suggestion I would have would be installation of a temp gauge to make sure of the trans temp. Normally one will not have temp problems, but for the cost of the gauge unit and installation it's cheap insurance. Don't let the nay-sayers dis you choice of the 200-4r, it is a very good trans.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The first thing that comes to mind is where you intend to drive this car the most. If the answer to that is .."in town".......then don't bother with the 2004R in the first place as it is only really useful above about 40 mph. Just put in a TH350 and be done.

If on the other hand, you ARE going to use it in the highway a significant amount of the time, why not have all the benefits it has to offer when operated as intended?

So far as I know (which may not be much) the TV cable is the more critical issue with these trannies. The lockup function is pretty simple.

Rayt

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd keep the lockup feature. No real reason to get rid of it. The trans will just run hotter, and you'll waste gas.

5. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

We run 200R4s in all of our cars here.. From 450/740hp. Street cars and all have a lock up.. :cool:

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It only locks in 4th, no other gears. You can install an override switch, and have the best (if you can call it that) of both worlds.

7. Thanks for all your input. I will most likely keep the lockup and controlling it with a switch on the dash.

8. 56jimmy

56jimmy
    from st. Louis

I have an Art Carr set up in mine. Works great. I also run one of his 10" 3000 stall convertors. No heat issues and no pesty wiring.

9. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

We have used "Pat's" converters out of Pa.. Basically a rebuilt 12" GM converter.. We use them on all of our customers low 11 sec cars an slower with no problems. :cool: Pat's also has more performance ones if thats what ya really need.