Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acidize aluminum block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Dec 9, 2012.

1. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Truckers "acidize" their fuel tanks and aluminum wheels and it really cleans them up. I have an all aluminum 4.6 Ford for my 34 5w that has a lot of powderly white spots on it and also grey areas. I wonder if one could acidize it and clean it up? I'm sure there is a strength of solution to use and a time limit for letting it work. Anybody done this?

2. skwurl

skwurl

It should work but I would keep it out of the inside. Expect to get crap for using that motor in that car from pretty much everyone that sees this.

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

"acidize" do you mean clean? Is this going to be a complete engine or just spots?

Just spot cleaning can be done with Simple Green cleaner or a stronger solution of Super Clean and water. Both will clean aluminum and remove the oxide. Just be careful with the latter as it will turn aluminum black if too strong.

I used a chemical cleaner in my hot tank for years that cleaned aluminum like it just came from the mold. But our government EPA banned manufacturing the chemical.

I changed to commercial Simple Green and it worked fair, but it was too expensive to maintain in a 300 gallon tank.

A transmission rebuild shop should be able to clean your parts.