Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help to ID Chrysler Marine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Collin04, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Collin04

Collin04
    from CT

I have a 2 Chrysler Imperial Marine hemi motors. One is tagged- Model: 453L 0202A 74879 with dual carbs with tags reading 2628s. Have been researching
    the internet and havent been able to ID the year and displacement. Motor is complete, does anyone know an approximate value? Thanks!

2. 73RR

73RR

The '453' is a new one, could it be '45S'?
    Pictures are always good BTW. Some 'use codes' here.

You have two, were they run together in the same boat? If so one spins backward, keep it mind. Salt water or fresh?

Value? They are worth exactly what you paid for them. If you sell them, they will then be worth exactly what you receive for them. Not being a smartass, but monetary value is subjective.

Oh yeah, be sure to do an intro...

3. Collin04

Collin04
    from CT

some pictures

Attached Files:

4. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

some of those were reverse rotation.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of these engines are reverse rotation and most have gear driven front ends (as you can see from the crank nose). Marine engines have some useful parts, but you'll find that the crank, cam, intake manifold, probably the exhaust manifolds (depending on how it was used), timing set, and probably the distributor are set up for marine use. Boats don't tend to run through the RPM's the way a car does and they usually have a mechanical advance distributor instead of a vacuum advance. The intake manifold and cam will reflect on the RPM range for which the motor was designed to make power, and that's usually not the same as a car.

HOWEVER! There are parts that could be salvaged. Block (if it's not rusted through in the water jackets from salt water), rods, heads, rockers, valve covers are pretty valuable, valves could be used if in usable condition, oil pump, and a few other things. So just keep that in mind if you plan on using one for a street motor.

There are several topics related to your engine and identification of what you have. You can find them by going to the tech section linked in my signature line. (click the picture that says "HEMI TECH")

Also! Before someone else gives you a not so friendly word of advice, you may want to consider doing an intro under the "Introduce yourself" section.

Good luck with your Chryslers!

6. Collin04

Collin04
    from CT

my intro is done! sorry about that. I hate to be asking for a "price" but i am selling this motor and have a gentleman asking me what the price is. to be honest, i have no clue what to ask for the motor and he isnt throwing me any offers without a ballpark. any help?

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Probably what you dont want to hear, but the pictures (and your location) tell me that these are salt water engines. In which case, makes them parts engines. It is tough to give a price without seeing in person. What I would consider a fair price for me as a buyer would most likely insult you as the seller.

The salt rots the blocks and heads from the inside out. It also migrates to the gasket surfaces and will rot around any water ports. It will also do the same to the intake, which results in the bottoms spliting and falling apart.
    Salt water engine = buyer beware. Again, not what you want to hear, but a fact.

8. Collin04

Collin04
    from CT

that makes sense. i am just listing them forma friend and no offense is taken. as someone who has been scammed on some crappy parts in the past im always weary about old parts. thank you for the advice!

9. 73RR

73RR

Thanks for posting the pics! It just proves that 'we' are not yet finished discovering a new-old Hemi application.
    As noted salt is a killer. Have you looked into the water jackets? Can you remove the intake manifold and look inside? As Tom noted, a salt water engine has limited value, but if it is somehow decent inside you should be in the $800-$1000 range. Salt value is going to be limited to what you can get for the carbs, valve covers and rockerarm assemblies. The intake manifold would have 'some' value as a wall hanger. The crank and cam are not interchangeable with pass car without a bunch of work.

If you have the time (and are so inclined) would you be able to post the casting numbers for the block, heads and intake? 'We' are trying to keep track of these old buggers...

10. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Interesting find! A "W" block to boot. Its too bad about it being a salt water engine, it does look a bit corroded. But until its apart it will be hard to tell if anything is still useful, some of it may be salvageable. It is still an old hemi!

I'd be interested in seeing the rest of the casting numbers too. Also, you should look on the lifter valley rail and see it there's any numbers stamped there, usually between the valley cover and where the water pump would go.

11. tiredoldman

tiredoldman

The motor in the pictures is a 354 unless the intake has been swapped. 331 marine motors came with dual 1 barrel carbs. If you still have this motor I would be interested in the carb set up for my marine motor in my boat.

12. George

George

The 45 SP was 2X4 331