Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Modified the tubes so we save the paint...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good thinking ,Gotta make sure Gary burns the hides off the car not the paint, Tim Jones

3. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Robert, The Roadster is looking GREAT!! I've got my tickets and reservations made for CHRR and looking forward to seeing it in person! My hats off to you for making it all happen! Take care, Gary

4. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Brief syanapse…

We got this car in May of last year and didn't know who's car it was. After some research we, with the help of others, were able to determine that Gary Cochran "Mr.C" was the owner/driver. After we found out we got a set of wheels and prepped it for show at the CHRR last year.

We showed the car at last years CHRR and it was awesome to see Gary reunited with his baby.

After the CHRR Thanksgiving and Christmas came so we focused on that . Well the holidays came and went and now we could get really get crankin on the car

Through the HAMB and through other contacts we were able to locate hard to find parts and really connect with guys that either saw the car, wanted to help or just appreciated the build.

Looking at what Steve and I have accomplished is pretty damn good. We started really getting after it in January and here we are In October 10 months later. We have lots of parts, paint, engine parts, powerdercoat etc, etc, etc done to the car but yet we are still not able to finish it at this time. A couple weeks ago we slowed progress as to not rush the build or make any mistakes that would compromise safety to the public or to the car. We had some hang ups but moved past them. So saying that, it's with great regret that Steve and I must say that the car won't be at this years CHRR but I can't thank you all enough again for your support advice and offers for help. I think that's what this is all about...bringing total strangers together to make things like this happen.

Keep your eyes peeled there will be more as soon as it sprouts.
    p.s. I am real sorry to those that were looking forward to seeing the car again. be patient, this ride ain’t over yet!!!

5. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Its always best to get it right the first time. You've got a great restoration going and it'll be worth the wait. Keep up the great work and enjoy the ride!! "Mr. C" will be proud.

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well As nice of a job you guys have been doing on the car ,no need to rush through at the end, just keep the updates coming in, Tim Jones

7. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1351281713.313251.jpg
    I ain't no body and paint man but the trucks all one color with a white finish and a matte clear coat. Time to get back after it. Had a good time at the CHRR. Had a few drinks with Gary, Marie and Frank Beels. More on the dragster coming soon.

8. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1351391960.071361.jpg
    Cars back on the ground. Set the toe and bled the brakes. Going to push it around the block to shake it down a little to see if we missed anything and to check brake pressure and stopabilty. Feels real good and bled real easy. I can't help but get in and out of it over and over again....

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Car and truck are lookin Good, Have fun pulling it around the block, Should get some funny looks from the locals,, Hell I sit in mine so long the dogs think I'm stuck:eek: Tim Jones

10. saychz316

saychz316

was a great time at the reunion. glad i got the opportunity to hang out with gary, marie, frank, and the rest of the gang at the double tree. was an honor to be surrounded as always by the legends of the sport we enjoy.

i think sunday was by far the best day there, second only to the cackle fest on saturday.

it wont be long now brother. you guys' car is almost there.

11. kennkat

kennkat

Simply OUTSTANDING!

12. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1354936828.686120.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1354936868.663918.jpg

Engine under final fit. Checking all clearances and measuring for pushrods.
    I have to say the more we mess with this FE the more I can appreciate it. This thing should thump real nice.

13. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

ImageUploadedByTJJ1355002114.925889.jpg
    Just another pic to show that we're still alive and getting after it. Those might be familiar faces to some but if not thats Mike Kuhl of Kuhl and Olson fame, winner of theeee last drag race at lions top fuel dragster and Jimmy Rossi (son of Vince Rossi) of the Baney Rossi Goebel Yeakel Plymouth Special.
    Carl Olson showed up a little later and Frank Baney was off to one side.
    Goooood times

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Looking good.

Heres Glens car

Attached Files:

15. Fs2034

Fs2034

So where is the Injector????

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Robert Glad to see you guys are still at it , Tell Frank I said Hi, Bruce who's altered is that your working on? Tim Jones

17. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks Tim. I see Frank all the time and will tell him hello. That altered is the ground shaker jr car. Fred. I WANT MY INJECTOR BACK!!

18. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Bruce... The car looks killer. I love this stuff.

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

20. Widows Touchdown

Widows Touchdown

Yo boys, Front cover and pump extension look very cool. It is amazing how far this has come in such a short period of time. See you Tuesday. Widows Por Vida!!!!

21. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Ok the motors done with mock-up and final fit. A couple things need to be done but they are very minor. As you can see the valve covers aren't present only because nobody wants to part with the sets they have. So if anyone has leads for the center logo MT or a stamped set of covers off a 64 ford with fir an FE let me know.
    Thanks!
    Robert

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Man Robert I can't believe nobody has come up with the set of covers your looking for:confused:, Here's what the mans lookin for Guys ,Let's beat the bushs and find a set for him,:D Tim Jones

Attached Files:

23. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Tim
    There's guys that have them but won't part with them. No offense but some Ford guys horde this stuff and never use it for a damn thing. That just kills me especially when I have a slice of history to restore. I'll make do but shame on those who sit on this stuff. I had an offer for some steel covers out of nowhere and I couldn't believe it. That's what it's about. If you have these covers pony up...quit hoarding. That's just stupid.
    Robert

24. LZ

LZ

Robert:
    To me this is the build of the year and some.:cool: It has everything going for it.
    I have to figure a way to get to B field upcoming.
    Hello and thanks to your whole crew.
    Feliz Navidad and Feliz Ano Nuevo.
    Luke

25. saychz316

saychz316

Merry Christmas boys! Por Vida..... :)

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

WOW Awesome Build Robert, finally got a chance to catch up and Love It!

27. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Robert, Try Al @ Speed Frame Engineering in Farmersville CA. It's been a few years since I talked to him but he is a Dragster and Ford guy from WAYYYY Back and did Buy and Sell ('specially Ford) Speed Parts for years. Good Luck, Rocky

28. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for the info ROCKY!! Thank also for checking the thread out too! She's getting closer. Just dropped the crank off at Velasco's for a little clearance cut and will soon get that back for final assembly.
    Robert

29. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Just a quick note. I know some of you have heard that Joe Reath of Reath Automotive had passed, well that is true. Well on February 2nd 12-4pm there will be a memorial service for him at Lakewood Country club. If you want to go, contact the Lakewood country club in Southern California for further details. If you have more questions please feel free to PM me. I was asked to place this on here because my Good friend was his neighbr and I was able to meet Reath and his wife before he passed.
    Thanks.

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

I was also asked to place her contact information on here at 562-225-3564 so she has head count. If you call her please be very respectful and only call if you are going to attend :)
    thanks everyone.