Register now to get rid of these ads!

why is there so many basic mechanic questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eugene vik, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dont anyone read a book anymore??
    i studied a Audles on model a s and basic mechanics when i was about 15 years old and ruined some cars on my own before leaving high school

i really think someone needs to write a detailed explanation of tuning Hollley and Edelbrock carbs
    and how to set them up for engines that have radical cams

some of these tuners out there need to work and experiment on doing things
    waiting for coments??

SO SOME OF YOU NEED TO TRAIN YOURSELVES HOW TO DO SOME SIMPLE TASKS

2. metal man

metal man

What brought this on?:D

3. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Try and find half the books we all used to use.
    The net is the new library so accept it or don't,either way it won't change.
    Now....what the hell is your point?

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Some people such as myself come here to learn from others with far more experience. I spend way more time reading than posting. I wish I know it all but i don't. Someone piss in your Cheerios? :)

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Ironic you railed on about people not reading books with how you mutilated the English language. Not being the grammar nazi, just pointing out the irony.....

6. Easy on the guy. He has a point.

Between A.D.D and 'fear of making a mistake', it's getting harder to get a point across, or learn these days it seems.

My bet is this guy wishes to help.

7. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Taking a step back, I have this conundrum at my work daily. I'm old(ish) school, been 28 years doing what I do and yes, learned a few things and enjoy passing on my knowledge to the new younger generation. But what pisses me off no end is when they come to me for advice, assistance, whatever, and they just haven't prepared themselves. My time in business is still important and costly, so it really gets to me when the kids of tomorrow can't realise they still have a brain and need to use it. Its not just an internet thing, this is a generational thing, information can be found so easily most of them do not realise what it is to do research first, then ask for informed advised, rather than totally vacant questions. So yes, be prepared before seeking advise, rather than expect the dumbest questions to be teated with the same respect. But if I don't know this is still a great resource, but if it isn't used properly the guys that know will simply not be on here, so we all need to wise up and appreciate what we have here!

8. some of us never got past 8 the grade english and flunked that at least 3 years, no intrest , wanted to read hot rod books and i did

9. you have a good point.
    some of this stuff is REALLY basic.
    the stuff alot of us figured out on our own, through experience.

10. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Im doing an engine rebuild on an off topic truck(my daily)..I bought the hayns repair manual...That thing sucks aNd is no help at all...says things like"loosen all the bolts"...ok WHERE ARE THEY?..i know this sounds dumb,but i ran into alot of hidden bolts.

books suck..its all about the internet...

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I see both sides; on one hand people are lazy and don't want to try to find answers or give anything a shot. On the other hand not everyone is mechanically inclined or skilled thus needing guidance. Best bet is to mentor and post tech threads sharing your knowledge.

12. haha! if people are not mechanically inclined maybe they need to find a new "hobby"!!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have to agree with the OP. Some of the things asked are pretty basic, and things I never dreamed of asking when I was 15-16 yrs. old. Many of them could be answered by just jumping in and trying it, and in that way it would stick better and they'd learn more.
    Asking easy questions is the easy way out, and it wont make anyone better at working on a car if they don't want to try anything without asking first. I love helping young guys, and I do it a lot, but when they ask something simple I usually respond with, "What do you think would work?" Often they come up with the correct answer after they take the time to try and work it out themsleves, and they feel much better. Always puts smile on a guy's face when he figures it out himself.

14. metal man

metal man

I respectfully disagree. Many of us here, myself included, make a living helping people who are not mechanically inclined build and restore cars:) Many of my friends have muscle cars,street rods,hot rods,even original old iron that they don't know how to work on. They are some really cool guys that love cars, but they had a different upbringing than those of us who grew up in a garage somewhere,playing with mechanical objects.

It makes me feel good to be able to help them out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  15. CJS

CJS

When was the last production car produced with a carburetor. Mid 80's ? Votech schools don't teach carbs anymore and haven't for quiet a while. I can't think of any newer cars or light trucks with a distributor with mechanical advance or fuel pump. That stuff is scary to a lot of guys. If you would like to see this hobby continue we need to help each other out. I'll gladly do my best to help even if it might sound like a dumb question to some. cjs

16. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

You are probably right, but some people want to learn and develop new skills. Gotta start somewhere. I agree that folks should do some research and give it a shot before just asking for answers and not trying.

17. Marcel8u

Marcel8u

This forum is a new way of information and advice by other car enthusiast. It's actually exactly what you stated.......we are reading a book......people are training themselves by doing and more importantly getting information before a tear down of a motor or the shit you want to fix.

18. I'm not a mechanic, nor even that skilled with mechanical things, but I love old cars, and a lot of the questions I ask probably are pretty dumb ones. Now and then I don't think it hurts to give guys like me a swift kick up the ass and tell us to find our own information, which is fine if that info is available. Often it's not, and places like the HAMB really are the only sources of information.

19. I can't believe I just read all that.

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think very few of us are experts in every aspect of building or repairing cars. Some are good at fabricating, some at bodywork, some at engine building, etc. I will be the first to admit I am better at working with steel than building an engine or even finding mechanical problems when they come up. That is where these forums come in handy, we all trade off information and try to help guys who are just starting out and trying to learn the right way to do things.

Maybe it is just me, but I feel pretty good when I am able to answer a question for someone or solve some problem they are wrestling with. :)

Don

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

it sure is hard to teach someone sheetmetal work or how to block sand a panel via the interweb ....just my .02 PB

22. RichG

RichG

Wow.

"Go figure it out but don't ask me?"

Brilliant. Fucking pure genius.

23. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Gene I still got and refer to my audels,you are right

24. RichG

RichG

Wait, maybe I should add this:

When you're asked a question on here, all you do is put words on a page. It's up to the person reading your answer to pick up the wrench and make it happen. If you cannot find it in yourself to give what you have (your knowledge), then don't bitch when people can't figure it out.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  25. RawDeal

RawDeal
    from Austria

isn't the main purpose of a forum to share information? request and provide knowlegde that what it's all about.

I remember the early days, when you were afraid to ask questions here, hell I was even afraid to write an intro, because you got bashed very easily.

If you don't like the question, don't read further...

26. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

Well put. I agree 100%.

27. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Read a book? It's alot easier to post a thread on your favorite internet forum to find the answer. Just have to weed through the useless rants:rolleyes:

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I agree with Eugene. I have been thinking the same thing myself for the past few months now. It's like people can't think or use common sense anymore. When I was young, I went to the library or bought a book if I wanted to learn about something. Today, I use the net for the same purpose. If something is too advanced, then I seek help from someone. But basic knowledge will take you a long way if you are willing to use it.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There is no such thing as a stupid question. If you believe that you haven't been on the internet long.

I find it irritating that some people expect others to answer questions, that they could find the answer to themselves in seconds with a quick web search. Or don't bother to read a book and get at least a minimal understanding of the basics.

But those are minor complaints, compared to the luxury of shooting your mouth off and having someone listen.

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure I asked a bunch of dumb questions too, when I started 60 years ago. Actually I tried to remain quiet and be thought a fool rather than speak up and remove all doubt.:D I always think about the other lurkers that read this and learn. Hell I've learned a lot about makes and models that I have not personally worked on. I love the questions that say my XXXX won't start what's wrong? I worked with a bunch of stupid people that entered my shop so I am pretty used to the dumb questions from the public. My favorite was my car wont idle now that you have replaced the idler arm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.