Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A day of infamy--Dec.7,1941 8am

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Daddy Don, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 26 roadster

26 roadster

not born yet(1949) but when I passed through to Viet Nam I saw all the holes in the barracks

Ric Dean likes this.
  2. redroaddog

redroaddog

i wasn't born yet. a friends dad and uncle were on a tender tied to the arizona were shot up but the crew got the ship untied and tried to get out of the bay but had to ground it on the way out another friends dad who we lost last year is one of the guys maning a anti aircraft gun in one of the first pictures you see when you enter the arizona memorable. we have a job to inform the young generations since they don't teach history in school anymore..Dave

Ric Dean likes this.
  3. Who was your Great Uncle?

I have a print hanging behind this computer signed by 16 AVG pilots and one in the living room signed by all AVG members at the 50th anniversary reunion.
    One of my prize possessions.

[​IMG]

Ric Dean likes this.
  4. JimSwann

JimSwann

I had a great uncle "Harlan" that was there that day.

5. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I wasn't even in the cooker yet for another seven and a half years. But I have the utmost respect and gratitude toward our service men and women.

6. You should be proud!!

My mother built P-38s during the war. Maybe...just maybe, your gramps flew a plane my mom helped to build. A nice thought.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Well...I looked on the home page for both MSN and Yahoo and didn't see any mention of Pearl Harbor. I guess that must mean its no longer important. Hey, did you guys see Jessica Simpson is pregnant again? Gosh, I hope she manages to overcome her struggle to lose her baby weight. I'll check back later, after I go to Applebee's for baby back ribs.

8. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

His name was Ruben Vega. He was with the ROCAF for a short period and spent most of his time in Burma from what he said. He worked directly with a guy named Chennault. They were friends when he was living in Texas and Louisiana. I have a ton of memorabilia...documents, medals, patches, pictures, navigation tools etc. I've never been able to find anything about him online. I wish I was older when he was still around. Details usually don't concern 8 year olds.

The same goes for my grandfather, Robert Cantu. I have even more of his memorabilia but cant find a single thing online. I know it's not gospel, but it would be cool to read about them both.

Are there any resources for this kind of info that I may not be aware of?

Ric Dean likes this.

9. Dude! What an awesome post. That sums it up, doesn't it? I'm sorry, but I have to steal this. Well said!

10. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I received this from a good friend who served in dads Group the other day.......

Gd’evening
    Seventy one years ago this morning I boarded a bus in Savannah, Ga. Headed for a seven day furlough in Washington, D.C. to spend with a sister and a boyhood friend. The next day, Dec. 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the japs. That nite I received a telegram, Report back to base PDQ. Couldn’t get a bus out until Mon. Nite so my friend gave me a whirlwind tour of our Nations Capitol. I was standing outside the Capitol Bldg. photographing it, while FDR was giving his “Day of Infamy” speech (photo). The rest is History.
    Jack Heyn<o:p></o:p>
    WW II Ancient One<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I worked in an apartment complex where a Pearl Harbor Survivor lived.
    He was an Army Private in WW1.
    He was a Master Seargent on December 7 1941 at Hickam field.
    He was going to retire January 1 1942. Then he was in for the duration.
    He was a great man and a wonderful guy.
    Never quite got the forgiveness thing down though.
    Google; "Pacific Wreck Database". Thats good for a few hours.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  12. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Randomly picked this Pearl Harbor thread to leave open because well... I do think we need one. But I am closing all others because really, we don't have time to manage, merge, etc if everyone thinks they need to start their own.

Thanks for your patience.

13. I have an uncle that is on or in the Arizona. I cannot say if he was a good man or not because I never had the opportunity to meet him but he is one of the casualties and this day gives me pause.

There is really nothing to say, I feel for those who gave their lives that day and their families must have been devastated. That one heinous act not only cost them their lives but the lives of countless others because of it. Not only on our side but ultimately Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The really sad thing is that no one has learned anything from it, if they had then 9/11 would never have happened.

14. biscaynes

biscaynes

one of the many days of the year i stop and think and give thanks.

15. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Admiral Yamamoto: I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant.

16. John M

John M

I'm going to have to think about Kevin's reply for a while before I stick my foot in my mouth. On one hand, I understand. On the other..., I don't. Maybe it's my age and perspective on the past that is getting in the way of a thoughtful, respectful response and clouding my view. I do understand not having time for certain things and what is important to some is not to others.

J.

17. ranchero rick

ranchero rick
    from Minnesota

My dad was at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th on the Castor, an ammunition ship just in from Frisco. He was a gunners mate and was on duty when it all started. On the morning of the attack they were just starting to unload ammunition when the attack started. They were across the channel from the line of battleships. So all the torpedo bombers making a run on the Arizona and the others passed right in front of them. "They ignored us, but we had some good shooting he said, but one spark and they would have been vaporized. Later he transferred to the Bell (an attack transport) and made landings in the Aleutians, at Tarawa and all through the South Pacific. He then got on the beach party, but it was no party (Volunteered?) An ensign, him and 10 other lucky guys went ashore in the middle of the night and planted flags to show the landing craft where to land. Then dug a deep hole. But it was never deep enough he wrote. He carried a Thompson sub machine gun which he was a good shot with and a Luger which he preferred to the .45 and all the grenades and ammo he could carry. Most of the rest of the beach party were armed with shotguns loaded with 00 Buckshot. Luckily he wrote a diary later in his life, but would never talk about it except to say "
    "what a waste" However when he passed in 2007, he didn't want to be buried in the family plot. He wanted to be buried with the guys at the Fort Snelling Veterans Cemetary. So I guess he was proud of being part of the biggest event in history. Thanks pops and all you vets they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Ric Dean likes this.
  18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Uh, like nowhere man.
    But, my Dad was in Colorado working with the C.C.C.
    soon to find out that the Civilian Conservation Corp was being mobilized
    into the war effort.

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wish I could have known my grandfather better and got to hear about some of his experiences on a destroyer and how things were during the war. You can probably figure by my avatar that I dig big boats and I learned some interesting facts a while back. The Arizona got some licks in afterall as some of her guns before the war and some salvaged after the Dec. 7th attack were refurbished, installed on The U.S.S. Nevada and were used in the D-day invasion as well as shore bombardments on Okinawa and Iwo Jima.

The Nevada survived Pearl Harbor, a kamikaze attack, two atomic bomb blasts, and being used for gunnery target practice by three different ships. Finally sunk with an aerial torpedo and now rests somewhere off of pearl harbor where the whole mess started.

20. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

This day should not ever be forgotten. I was 4 years old in 41 and seem to remember in the following years the sacrifice everyone made from gas rationing to rag and metal collections to lard from cooking Sunday dinner collected. Try getting America to do that in these times,ha,ha. My older best friend for the past 25 years{now deseased] was in the CCC in the woods of NH when his unit was activated. He joined the Navy and ended up in the South Pacific as a motor machinist on a PT boat tuning the ultimate hotrod powered by 3 Packard V12s. Lets get history back in the puplic schools!!

Ric Dean likes this.
  21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good responses from all the HAMB family!!!---Thanks!:D:D

We were on our way to Korea in 1953, & we tied up to a dock facing "Battleship Row"---It was 12 years after the "sneak attack", one of our crew members was there that fateful morning in 1941. & related to us while standing topside, the wave after wave of the "red balled" jap aircraft bombing & strafing everything in sight.
    It was awesome to listen to his personal account, pointing to the hills where the planes seemed to approach endlessly.
    Back in 1953, there was no monument as today, just a shell of a gun turret with a single flag pole & railing to tie up to while hoisting colors each day.
    Of course later, a nice memorial was constructed & stands today for a somber remembrance--------Don

Ric Dean likes this.
  22. This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing your stories and thanks for remembering this day. As I posted on the other thread, my parents were in a Los Angeles movie theater when suddenly the movie stopped, the lights came up and the theater manager came up on the stage and said "All military personnel return to your bases immediately. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii has been attacked by the Japanese"

My Dad was too old for the service (he served in the Navy in the early 1920s) but his company made rocket launchers for the war effort. My Mom and Grandmother worked for Lockheed building P-38s. I wasn't born for another 18 years but "During the War" was a phrase often heard in our house when I was growing up. One of my Mom's favorite Christmas songs was White Christmas. It came out during the war and it always made her think of our boys who were serving so far from home.

Let us never forget all those of the Greatest Generation who interrupted their lives to save the world. May God bless them all.

[​IMG]

23. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

I wasn't around but my Dad was stationed at Ford Island on that day. He was getting ready to go on duty and was at the admin bldg. getting a cup of coffee, stepped outside, looked up and wondered what all the Army planes were doing up that early. Found out soon when they dropped a couple bombs on the PBY ramp only a couple hundred ft. from him that it was for real.

24. John M

John M

I too was at Pearl during the filming of Tora, Tora, Tora We were there two times getting our rusty-trusty tin can repaired after months on Yankee Station and the gun line at Phan Thiet. I do remember the eerie feeling seeing those planes overhead with the red ball painted under the wings. I was sort of disappointed that I couldn’t pick my ship out in the film sequences when the movie came out but I guess the movie crew was filming up at the planes and not down on the then present day Pearl Harbor.

Mine and my wife’s parents both never forgave the Japanese for the war which was evident in their remarks and actions. I guess my generation didn’t have the same perspective as their’s as our only contact growing up post war was with cheap Japanese items (think China now) and 6 transistor radios. While in the Navy, my ship made a few ports in Japan and the people were always hospitable and I don’t remember any incidents, even with some of the older crew members that grew up during or served in WWII. The older I get, the more respect I have for my parent’s generation in what they had to sacrifice before and during the war. I guess we can’t seem to learn from history though, as the world seems to keep thinking war is the solution instead of the problem. I am thankful though that because of previous sacrifices, I have the freedom to play with my hot rods and pretty much do with my life as I please and I salute all service members past and present that defend my right to do this. Thank you!

Ric Dean likes this.
  25. I always like to show this shot of a Deuce sedan on that fateful day.

Attached Files:

26. dixstir

dixstir

not far from home I was just starting to walk,dont reminber much back then.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dec. 7th, 1941. Santa Clara, CA.
    Dad and Mom heard the radio broadcast that Pearl was bombed...Dad made haste to prepare for when he could enlist.

They made their farewells in January of '42, and Dad went. After boot camp down South, Dad became a Frogman. (UDT) Came home in '44 after breaking a leg in 'retraining'... (parachute jump)

I was born in Oct. of '42, nine months after Dad left...

28. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Thanks for the info!!!

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

December 7, 1941 &#8220;A Date Which Will Live in Infamy&#8221; President Franklin D. Roosevelt
    ..........................[​IMG]
    ..........................Thanks go out to the "Greatest Generation"