Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramblur

Ramblur

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

3. mrwoolery

mrwoolery

I fondly remember those days of jacked up rear, highly raked hot rods. I have a long-term project car (1971 Charger) and I'm planning on doing some of these 70's touches to it, too. It'll be rollin' weenies up front, but it'll have it's ass up in the air and big rubber underneath.

4. slammed

slammed

Once the scanner gets replaced, I have a bunch of HAMB friendly shots from 1979, '80', 82' Street MAchine Nats.

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

^^^Cool that...just read where the Street Machine Nationals are coming back.

Duquoin Ill. is bringing back the Street Machine Nationals! Remember when Duquoin was THE show to go to? Well it will be again because June 28-30, 2013 will mark the return of the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals to Duquoin.

Via: Bangshift.com

6. I remember overnight mail to get in, cops stoping the burnouts on the streets, so all the girls started flashing from the roof of rv's in the parking lot

7. chev34ute

chev34ute

Looks like fun to me, i think those high riding street machines would handle the roads where i live very nicely and make short work of all the potholes. Every other era of hot rodding has been revived over the years, i think its high time this era was revived too !

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

9. Irishman

Irishman

Burning rubber on a Raleigh Grifter and rioting
    It *was* the 70s in northern Ireland! LOL

10. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I popped out of my moms junk in 75.:eek:

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Now, there's an image...:eek:
    Thanks for sharing that...

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks for the info, this will be my Christmas present to myself. I still have lots of LPs, some of which go back to the late '60s and early '70s. Think Iron Butterfly, Woodstock, Beatles, Mahogany Rush, Pat Travers, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple etc. Now I can record them onto cd and put 'em away again. Woo Hoo!

13. brad fuller

brad fuller
    from toronto ks

that was to much fun back then seeing those pictures makes me want to dig out some old biasply M/Ts and crager S/Ss that I have stached away slap them on an 85 vette thats sitting around here drawing dust if the rear tires dont hang out at least 4 inches put in some longer lug bolts and spacers and go have some fun and also have some old smallblock chrome header sidepipes off of my 70 vette I had back in the day wonder if they will go on the 85 great pics thankyou:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

15. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

16. Deuces

Deuces

These two got along great didn't they???....:D

17. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yes they did, they're wearing each others t-shirts aren't they?
    The ultimate irony of "Sweet Home Alabama" is that for so many, the song's implied put down of Neil Young was NOT meant as criticism, but as support of Young's anti-racism. Thus, for those who think it's clever to put down Neil Young using the phrase "Hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern Man don't need him around anyhow", little do they realize that they have the meaning backwards.

18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Quoting Ronnie Van Zant: ''We wrote 'Alabama' as a joke. We didn't even think about it; the words just came out that way. We just laughed ... and said 'Ain't that funny' ... We love Neil Young, we love his music.'' A more famous quote has him saying, ''We thought Neil was shooting all the ducks in order to kill one or two. We're Southern rebels, but more than that, we know the difference between right and wrong.''

19. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

20. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Word is that Neil wrote "powderfinger" for Ronnie, but the plane crashed first :( Sometimes I wish Johnny Cash had done a cover of that song. One of my all time favorites.

21. Story is Ronnie was buried in that shirt of Neil's (maybe urban myth) .... AND speaking of LPs, me gots the Lynard Skynard "Flames" album.

22. Me, too. Bought it when released.

23. I hope he had his eyes closed. :eek:

Yes in deed TMI its going to take me all day to get that one out of my head.

24. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

.... Ahhh the 70's:D Just turned 21 an in October of 69 I bought a brand new 70 Mach1 Cobra Jet. Was a die hard Ford guy at the time. Had the "go fast" bug bad. First month had the Lakewood traction bars and a set of Crager SS's. 6 months later I sold the Cobra Jet an got a 427 Medium riser. Couple months after I had the bundle of snake Tubular Automotive headers. Damm I still remember puttin those suckers on. As summer was coming soon I got some M&H stock car tires (hey they had a few little grooves in them). Cops never said anything about them. Worked awesome when practically everyone else were on reg old "wide oval's"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.... After the summer was coming to an end I started to hallucinate about what to do that winter. Ended up doin a 2" dropped straight axle. Ya I know it was still a new car :eek: Did that an had the towers taking out an replaced with flat plates. Now I had a ton of room. Back down to Dick @ Tubular Automotive for a set of custom made headers.
    .... Then went to go to work one day an someone stole the damm car. Car was recovered minus the 2 carbs and other small stuff. Had some dents here an there to boot. Car sat for the rest of the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..... Winter hallucinations came again. Figured I needed a one piece glass nose.. Problem was nobody made one that I could get the lights an grille back in to street drive it. Soo had fenders and the hood copied from the originals steel pieces. Glass bumpers of course to. I was married to this damm car besides the wife an kid :D
    ...Next year we did a custom paint to it. Drove it for another few years with numerous motors in it an then got into the old Cobra/Shelby stuff. Car was a blast at the time. Ended up selling it as a "roller".. Then moved on :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. Love that song. And Rocky, irony is beyond the grasp of mouth-breathing red-necks. Just look at how they interpret the meaning of Springsteens "Born in the USA":rolleyes:

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

woh!!

27. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

28. papastoyss

papastoyss

Naturally LPs would make a comeback after I sold all mine at swaps& yardsales even my Carly Simon "headlights" album!

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Kept all of mine. In the process of converting them to digital, then onto CDs. After that, it will be selling the collection to the "Hipsters" that have discovered the joys of vinyl, or care for nothing less than the album cover, to display as "Art" on their walls.
    But, what do I care, after all, everything is for sale...at the right price...;)

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.