Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage Midget rear end torque tube help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gcrparts, Dec 6, 2012.

1. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Hello,
    I need an answer on aligning the rear end of a 1950's Hillegass midget... My question is: Should the torque tube/rear axle pinion centerline be straight inline with the center line of the engine? currently I am installing a new and different engine and the C/L of the pinion on the rear end is not in the center of the frame. it is offset to the left about 1".... Thus the torque tube would be at an angle when hooked up to my in/out box. I dont have a torque tube for it yet but I do have the drive shaft. The rear end in the car is a progressive quick change. Thanks to anyone who can help on this.......

2. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Short answer...yes, or it will have rear steer, or just bound up.....not a good thing.

3. The torque tube bolts solid to the front of the pinion snout, so the axle and tube form a "T" shape. Think about what happens when you push the leg of the T to the side at all...

4. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

Thanks Guy's,
    I got it figured out. The car was originally built with a different style torque tube and the in and out box was actually part of the Tube. It was not on the back of the engine like I have now.....Basically I had to get the rear end offset inline with the driveline.....I appreciate your advice....