Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions re: '46 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello -

Recently found a '46 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup that I'm considering. Have a few questions, and haven't been able to find anything on the internet.

The truck has what is probably the original flat 6. It runs, but the owner said that there's a crack in the block and that it's pretty tired. The truck comes with another engine that's supposed to be out of a '46 3/4 ton.

Assuming they're the same year, are the engines the same, i.e. displacement, horsepower, mounts, etc.

Is there a directory of Dodge truck engine numbers? The numbers on the replacement engine are TII2*I2I885, and I'd like to confirm what it is.

From what I've read, the 1/2 tons only came in a short bed. This truck's bed is 78" long (6ft 6 in). Is that the correct length for a 1/2 ton bed?

Anyone know what the stock rear end ratio is in this truck? They're probably like most trucks of that era, super low for pulling and terrible for the open road.

Any other watch-outs with the Dodge art-deco trucks? From what I understand, they were made from '39 - '47.

Thanks...

Chris

2. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

My 46 Dodge is a dump truck (15,500 gvw) with a 2 speed rear but I bet the engine is the same. 250.6cid, 97.5 HP at 3200 RPM. The rear axle on yours should be a 4:10. I'll try to post a pic of mine later and get the engine number for you.

Also try this link http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

'48 -

Thanks for the link. I've ID'd the engine as a 41 - 47 218 6 cyl, but I'd like to see if I can nail the year.

Anyone?

Beuhler?

Chris

4. kennkat

kennkat

Find the Casting Date Codes... I am not 100% sure where they are on those 6 bangers, but 99.9% sure they are there.... If you need still I can research it one day this coming week... A customer of mine has info & some "parts" left over from this little Dodge we are finishing the details on now... Just Mudflaps and clearance lites left to go... I think!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

5. 73RR

73RR

6. kennkat

kennkat

"From what I've read, the 1/2 tons only came in a short bed. This truck's bed is 78" long (6ft 6 in). Is that the correct length for a 1/2 ton bed?"

Yes, that is the "standard" short bed length of the time, for full size trucks.

"Anyone know what the stock rear end ratio is in this truck? They're probably like most trucks of that era, super low for pulling and terrible for the open road."

Yes Indeed, don't know exactly but I would expect it to be 4.11 or Lower the 1 ton dually was 5.x...

Any other watch-outs with the Dodge art-deco trucks?

Yes, Watch Out, They are KOOL!!!

7. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Rusty Hope Can hook you up with front disc brake kit and split your manifolds. I put a 8" ford rear out of a 78 ford Granada and it worked great. Currently running the original 3 speed but planning a t-5 tranny swap using Tom Langton's kit. Roberts Motor parts and Vintage Power Wagons have lots of parts. You might go to the piolot House forum and check them out. Not many of the old dodges on the road.

Attached Files:

8. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

The month, day and year is cast in the side of the block. At least it is on my 1948 Plymouth 218.

9. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Thanks to all for their replies. The truck followed me home last week. Have a plate on it, but I don't yet trust it on the road. PO did the brakes, but didn't adjust anything, so the brakes barely work. Already found an 8 3/4 rear end for it with 3.23 gears, which will also take care of the rear brakes. I don't know if whose kit I'll use for the fronts, but Scarebird looks a bit easier than the other option. Found out that ECI makes a dual master kit as well.

The motor is pretty rough...#5 cylinder had about 5lbs of compression, although it does start and run, and it's got a TON of blowby that likes to creep into the cab when you're driving.

Once I get the rear end in and the brakes switched over, then I can start driving it for real.

Chris

10. plymouth truck guy

plymouth truck guy

Help with with more on ECI. Googles it and can't find it. Really need dual master cylinder. Thanks, craig

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT