Register now to get rid of these ads!

Use an alternator with no acc. holes Camel Hump, Double Hump heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Dec 6, 2012.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I did a search and nothing relevant came up.....

I know it sounds hypocritical to run a camel humps and an alternator but it will be under the hood of '55 chevy so the non traditional sins will be hidden along with the Mallory Dist.

I have set of 291 casting heads with no holes 2.02/ 1.60 valves to wake up the old 350.

I don't have room for the low mount so need some ideas for other options using headers.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. 29moonshine

29moonshine

summit carries a bracket that bolts to the headers and the short water pump

3. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

The bosses are cast into the head. You could always drill and tap the holes so that you can run an alternator.

4. xix32

xix32

thought in the sixties a sbc had the gen/alt mount on the exhaust manifold, and the adjust arm came off a long water pump stud.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Alan Grove?

6. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

Hers a low mount I came up with.(copied) a GM miny alt.65 amp,off ebay, a 3/8" simple bracket I made ( have made and sell if anyone is interested) very nice and tight setup.

Attached Files:

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I paid $14 for these chrome universal brackets from Summit to mount with my camel hump heads. SUM-G4050, and SUM-G4051:
    [​IMG]

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Go to www.bobbywaldenspeedshop.com and look at Jitney Jake's parts...Jake Jacobs. He has a few ideas and kits to mount alternators and generators on the left or right side of the engine.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. gwarren007

gwarren007

Late 60's gm's all had alternators and double hump heads. A 66-67 chevy camaro/elcamino/chevelle/impala should all have them with a short water pump.

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Bill's Hot Rod Co. out of Cali has a number of applications available. Reasonable prices cool quality.

www.billshotrodcompany.com

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yes Bills, great quality...........................

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Is this true? That would be the ticket........

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I don't believe it to be true of all undrilled heads..............
    Some of these brackets including the ones I mentioned start to look goofy sitting up so high, JMO.

If OP has a '55 and using the stock front motor mounts this type will not work in post #6.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've only ever seen undrilled holes on 1958 and 59 heads, not fuelies.

15. TurboX2

TurboX2

No, not all head castings had bosses. The double hump heads pre 69 didn't have the bosses cast on the heads. (unless CA. smog motors had some) They can be drilled but, some shimming will be required to get the mounting surface level.
    Some of the small brackets that mount to the headers are weak and do break if you have a fairly hot cam. Copy them and build your own out of heavy stock works best!

16. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

+2 on Bill's. Solved the same problem for my '35 Ford with one of their kits (mine had to high-mount alt, a/c and include ps as well with no-holes heads). GREAT looking kit... very happy.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Better look around more! There's tons of "fuelies" out there without holes, and many from years other than the early 1.94's used in '58 or '59. Mine are later 2.02's and don't have the holes.

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Correct, but also no bosses. Was referring to the just drill some holes comment.

19. rustang

rustang

I struggled with this on my truck build. I did not want a mount that was too high (did not want the alt. as a main focus point) and could not have it stick out too far.

On my 327 with 461 heads (camel humps with no holes) I used one of the cheap "low mounts"..... I think I got the mount from Speedway or summit... If you wanted to make one, it would be quite easy...

If you take a look in my album pictures there is a pic of the engine on the stand.
    Tom

20. bigblock69n

bigblock69n

I used on that mounted to the water pum holes and the front manifold bolt. I belive it was from Jeg's it put my alternator about straight across from the water pump but did not hinder the mechanicl fuel pump.

21. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

Listen to BIGRAT ! Allen Grove. Good quality and simple.

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Alan grove!!!! x3.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

??? Camel Bumps came out in '63. Am I missing something here??

24. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Alan Grove has what you need!! 913-837-4368

25. badshifter

badshifter

Not what you are asking at all, but just a 2.02 head swap alone will not wake up the engine.... It may actually do the opposite. Heads and cam and compression will wake it up, but a swap from say a 1.94 to a 2.02 valve with no other work will usually slow down velocity, and actually lower torque in the range most of us drive. Just something to keep in mind.

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

The '64 327 I picked up a while back has the arrowhead heads and the ram's horn manifolds with the alternator mount built in

27. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

Here's my setup I'm using 461 202's with out holes and a stock chrome style generator front arm and the universal header mount that bolts to the two front head holes cheap and simple there also adjustable for short or long pumps

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

28. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

We used the old Chevy air pimp bracket--bolted to the intake and water pump. Not sure how hard these are to find, but I saw one at a swap meet not too long ago.

Attached Files:

29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

30. The thing not mentioned is short or long water pump? When they went to the long pump is when they started using the bolt holes on the end of the head.

My set of '58 heads have the boss cast onto the end of the head, but only one end and it is visible only on the left head. If I were wanting to use the long pump and just drill the end of the head for the alternator bolt, the boss won't be there.
    When using a short pump and the aftermarket bracket I fab up a strut that runs to one of the water pump bolts. Stops the carnage!