Register now to get rid of these ads!

what to do with 64 suburban?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead748, Dec 6, 2012.

1. motorhead748

motorhead748

I recently came into owning a 64 suburban. Its a 292 with a powerglide. It has only 1 door on each side plus the 2 rear swing doors. It runs fair but the brakes need attention, Ive put a water pump on it and had the gas tank cleaned out. The body isnt too bad but maybe not as nice as you might think coming from texas.
    The situation is that a good friend who is getting up in years gave it to me so I dont want to just sell it but It is nothing that I really need. I`m already into 2 other projects so this will get backburnered for a while.
    Maybe if i would see some cool pics or ideas I might get excited about it.

2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

MH748,

Burbs can be/are real cool!
    Check these pictures out!

NRM

Attached Files:

3. chopped

chopped

Parts hauler.

4. jreeder41

jreeder41

fix the small things and use i as a daily driver/part hauler

5. I had a '64 Suburban once. I drove it.

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i will give you your money back for it

7. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

This is a 66 but pretty cool.

Attached Files:

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i recently bought a 63 gmc burban, looking forward to making it the new tow vehicle for the slingshot. lots of room to haul all the stuff.

9. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

How about some picture's.

10. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Yeah, I'd lower it some and start lookin' for a 327 to slip into it.

11. 36tbird

36tbird

12. Gromit

Gromit

I had one once (called it the Subhuman) I loved that ol' truck. cool looking and usefull. Just fix it. Brakes are a breeze. you'll never find a better hauler.

13. slammed

slammed

Send me some pix, I might buy it.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

15. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Hey man you are way too busy for that shit. Your friend would want it in a good home, and on the road. Better pass that on to me before its too late...

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Well I'd drop a SBC in it, and get it running reliably, then use it as a daily, or tow rig. I've had 4 short wheelbase Burbs, and now have a '69 as my DD/tow rig. The larger ones are nice with the extra room, but I sure love the look of the early ones!
    I'm still kicking myself for selling my '57 with 389 Pontiac and TH400, and that's been 40 yrs. ago!

17. indyjps

indyjps

Get it running \ driving and let your friend drive it for a while. Once its a driver its much easier to sell

18. Squablow

Squablow

I have one with a 71-up front suspension and rearend swapped in, almost a straight bolt-in, gives 5 lug wheels and front disc brakes, and power steering. Really nice to drive.

Mine is back-burner'd too, but definitely a worthwhile project. Was my daily driver for a while years ago, could haul tons of stuff in it and can even be a camper if pressed into service.

I'd keep the 292. Mine has the 250 and I used to get a consistent low 20 mpg out of it with the stick shift. If it's going to be a driver, that's pretty good.

19. You can do a simple front suspension upgrade by bolting in a 73-87 GM 1/2 ton front crossmember and suspension parts to your 64 frame. This give you disc brakes, 5 lug pattern, sway bar, and more aftermarket support for drop spindles and anything else you could want. Swap the rear to a 5 lug axle kit or different axle to match the front 5 on 5 pattern. Lower the back to match the front. Get some nice 5 spoke style wheels and you have a great driver. The 292 is fine, but a 700R4 OD trans upgrade would make for better driving and especially freeway. All of these are basic bolt-on type improvements that would not be too much money. The 73-87 crossmember unbolts form the donor, and you only need to drill a few hole to mount in your 64.

Key point is to make easy changes that you can drive the suburban and have some fun with it. Your friend would not want you to sell it, wait until he is no longer around for that.

20. Dang, you would think Squablow and me were sitting in the same room talking about it.

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The 5 lug with power disc brakes started in '71, so you can use them also. My '69 is conveted to 5 lug power disc from a '71.

22. Agree, but the 73-87 is dime-a-dozen in the junkyard, not so many 71-72. Also lots of cheap suspension or brake rebuild parts if needed available at any auto parts store on the shelf. Nothing wrong with your 71-72 suggestion though it is also a good option.

23. XXL__

XXL__

The only differences are the ball joints and two mounting holes that are 1/4" shifted. They are otherwise identical crossmembers and control arms.

24. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I would cut it in half and make a blazer out of it!!!

25. slammed

slammed

Dude, I had a photo shop that was done like this. It rules. I mean it was perfect in proportions. Sat raked, not broken/lay-frame-'till-the-wheel's-slant. But lost the pix in a delete mode.

26. There are some pics in the all truck thread where people have made pickups out of them, like a unibody only a chevy instead of a ford. Don't lok too bad done that way either.

27. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I had a 61 panel with the 10' bed. We cut the roof off for another project. I was going to cap the edges and make surround U shaped seating in the back. What was really cool is it had some factory 19" skinny wheels on it..

28. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You can do the whole brake system for nottalotta dough, in an afternoon.
    A weekend if you like beer.
    Those are real friendly systems. Then you have a cool, roomy, bullet proof hauler.
    Put a sign in the window for way too much and see if you get a bite.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, you don't have to do anything to it right away except get it running good and safe to drive. Then drive it as that can be a great parts chasing, swap meet going all around driver. It can always get it's turn at being fixed up after it has hauled stuff for the other projects to get them done.

30. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

stick an Allison V-12 in the back, using a ZF trans for a mid-engine car, six straight pipes out each side, and hit the local drive-in.