Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saving a 32 Ford Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcnut223, Dec 11, 2011.

1. austinhunt

austinhunt

Best way to learn.... I started with changing my oil and reading the HAMB.... Now that I look back there is a LOT of things I would change but it was the only way to learn.

2. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Yeah, But wheres the fun in that??......What Mike has done here is a labor of love....... working on customers cars is just a job. Ask me how I know?

3. a bloke

a bloke

Agreed - the challenge and the end product are the payment he's taking for this one.

Like climbing a mountain - all the hard stuff is forgotten when you see the view from the top.

4. cavman

cavman

If a person put this much "talent, patience, and time" into someone else's ride, most likely they would think you are taking too long and complain about the cost. The only thing the owner would have is bragging rights about how much they have in it at the next trophy show. When doing it for yourself, time means little. The end always justifies the means. It IS a labor of love. This is going to be a fabulous '32, one that anyone would be proud to own, much less say they alone built it. Not many can, or do. Great color choice too!

Keep up the great work.

5. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Have been having trouble with the left door post. Could not get the wood to fit. This is the post I fabricated at the beginning of the build.

Seems I did not maintain the minimum width at the center when I welded it up. The wood just made this obvious.

Hamb member Xman (Dan)had a post from a 2 door that he gave me and I received it Friday via fedex. Thanks Dan!!!

This post is a little longer and had some surface rust on the latch side. I decided to fab the post again using the remains of my 4 door posts.

Not finished but it the door closes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Nice work.have subscribed but have a bit of reading to do!

7. Dyce

Dyce

I'm a mechanic now. I did own and run an automotive machine shop. I made a few floor pans and got hooked!!! I'm not fast enough, or I'm to fussy to make any money doing it. My problem is I like the to challenge myself and take on train wrecks that soak up to much time.... You really did good on the 5 window so far!! Something out of scrap is a lot like a scratch build body so you should be proud.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Lucky_mtl

Lucky_mtl
    from Montreal

this post is sick! i almost bought this project.. and it just wasn't for me, i got a 32 5w from oldrodkid in louisiana. your work is very inspiring !
    -Billy

9. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks Dyce and Lucky mtl

10. Well said, I also spent years as a body man in a diesel shop. It will kill you!!! I now do something else for a living and reserve the craft for myself.

11. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

well haven't providing many updates for awhile...
    been working on th car but nothing real notable.

I mentioned that i needed to replace the tulip on the left quarter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  12. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Once the replacement panel was made it needed to be installed.

Attached Files:

13. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

here's the result

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. flatford39

flatford39

You are nuts. Please keep the updates coming as I am as "nuts" as you. Great work and thank you for sharing.

15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm glad to see more progress on here, nice!

16. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I've struggled with the left door post since cutting the old post out and making the replacement from the sedan and 4 door posts. It just hasn't fit right.

I took the post out again and cut it apart. it's now back in the car and he door shuts correctly. Not many pictures ...

once the posts were in place i had to reinforce the post mounts.

Attached Files:

17. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice!!! I have to tackle the same spot on my b pillars which seems to be the most perplexing due to no original images to reference really.

19. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Jeffery

What do you need , i have a lot of reference material for this. .

20. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

graet work looking forward to the rest of the build

21. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Very inspiring. Thanks for taking time with your boys too. Being an involved parent has taken time, made progress slow on my '52, but the time with my kids is priceless. Subscribed!

22. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks Scrubby

I enjoy working with the boys, at this point they are becoming pretty accomplished builders.

Having acquired the needed skill sets necessary to create virtually what ever they want, I am really proud of them!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just need about every angle on that lower B Pillar and how it attaches to the sub rail and rocker. And A pillar to for good measure! :D

24. JCW2110

JCW2110

You are a craftsman! You are doing amazing work to get this 32 back to her former glory.

25. Dyce

Dyce

Nice work Mike!! I wouldn't have thought of making a hammer form for the quarter peice. Looks like it worked good.

26. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Mike, it is looking really good.....That left quarter panel has shaped up a bunch, considering what you had to work with. You know it is funny, Kenny had a super nice quarter panel (had quarter window and all included) when he first got that stuff, And he sold it on ebay before I seen the stuff. I did buy the really nice right side door and a windshield frame from that same batch of stuff your cowl and doors come from. Did you get the frame he had?

27. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Nope, All I I purchased was the right qtr and back window. Sure would have saved a bunch of time had that other qtr been with the lot. Oh well

Last count the left qtr is made up of 18 different pieces, actually probably more since i did not count little patches.

Jeffery

I can give that info, Pm me and let's talk

28. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Dyce

The finished form was not pictured, it did work well as that is a relatively flat piece. i could not use my bead roller as the radius was too tight for my 3" roller,

One of the guys at the metal meet (from fargo) showed me his form for that spot. that is where this came from.

29. fitzee

fitzee

always something cool to see in this post.. keep them coming..