Register now to get rid of these ads!

want to change from a 4 speed to an auto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FETT, Dec 5, 2012.

1. FETT

FETT

i havve a 1956 chevy with a 327 with a 4 speed Muncie
    need to change it to an automatic seen plenty of 327's
    with 350 trans will it fit or will the drive shaft need to be cut
    any help will be greatly appreciated

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

drive shaft should be the same just need to dubble check the spline.

3. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

4. measure from the block/bellhousing area to the end of the transmission. find any small block with a turbo 350 and measure it. I don't know if chevrolet used long and short tail housing.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It will work as long as you get a short shaft 350 turbo tranny.

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

If the 56 has the factory bellhousing and still has the front engine mounts and side mounts on the bellhousing then you'll have to add a tranny crossmember to hold the back end up. Some think that if you do this you also need to change from the front engine mounts to side engine mounts.
    I personally dont think its necessary but others do. If anyone saw the arrangement on the nailheads with the side mounts right at the front of the engine and the SP400 tranny mount way out back they would understand.

7. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The biggest issue with doing away with the bellhousing mounts is lack of torsional stability. Pretty sure the Buick has the mounts higher and wider spaced where the stock Chevy's mounts were close together and more of a link than a mount.

9. TERPU

TERPU

Quitter!

Just kidding, Auto's can be fun as well.

Tim

10. OK I will help you out. I will GIVE you the th350 that you desire (and if you'd rather have a 400 I will even do that!) and all you gotta do is send me your trans, clutch, flywheel, bell housing and linkage ..... I am a nice guy.

11. Shit, I'd be tempted to DO the conversion for him, IF I get the 327/Muncie.

Put in a 350/TH350, hook it all up and finish it.

All that because a 327/Muncie is almost the finest sbc combo around.

Possibly THE best.

Cosmo

12. d-rod!

d-rod!

why? wait a min....no really why?

13. FETT

FETT

ok thanks
    as to why smashed my hip up 4 year ago and bad knees
    makes it a little painfull to drive

14. Changing your car shouldn't have to be justified,:rolleyes:,A lot of us have physical limitations that is not going to stop us from enjoying our cars.

This guy's not ready to give up his hot rod & want's to drive his car in some sort of comfort,,believe me I know how he feels. HRP

15. davidh73750

davidh73750

hey look around for a 200R. My 55 was a 6cy pg car. I added side V8 mounts, 200R and didn't even have to mess with the driveshaft. runs 70mph all day 2100rpm 3.55 gears

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Listed below are the critical dimensions of the T56 in comparison to T5 and traditional four-speed transmissions. Metric dimensions are converted to inches, rounded off to the nearest 0.1 inch. Trans model<table cellspacing="10"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td> <td>A</td> <td>B</td> <td>C</td> <td>D</td> <td>E</td> <td>F</td> </tr> <tr> <td>GM Super T10, Muncie, Saginaw</td> <td>6.3</td> <td>14.2</td> <td>23.0</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>3.75</td> </tr> <tr> <td>GM T5 (V8)</td> <td>6.3</td> <td>16.0</td> <td>25.0</td> <td>19.0</td> <td>21.2</td> <td>3.75</td> </tr> <tr> <td>GM T56 F-car (production)</td> <td>4.9</td> <td>21.0</td> <td>26.4</td> <td>21.1</td> <td>23.9</td> <td>3.75</td> </tr> <tr> <td>GM T56 F-car (aftermarket)1</td> <td>6.3</td> <td>21.5</td> <td>27.0</td> <td>21.6</td> <td>21.6</td> <td>3.75</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ford T5</td> <td>6.9375</td> <td>14.5</td> <td>24.125</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>5.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ford Toploader</td> <td>6.375</td> <td>13.25</td> <td>24.125</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>5.5</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Mopar 383</td> <td>7.38</td> <td>15.28</td> <td>27.01</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>N/A</td> <td>2 or 2.76</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Notes: 1. Dimensions B through E include 0.5-inch-thick adapter plate

Attached Files:

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I too would have to second the 200r4 as well. As long as your going for comfort, you might as well quite things down and get better milageas well.

18. Yep in the work place it is against the law to ask that question. :eek:

Sometimes an auto is just a better choice for some people. Lets just leave it at that.

If it were me I may go with a long shaft T350 and get the drive shaft shortened. Then if you decide to go with an AOD at a later date a 700R4 is a bolt in.

19. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

You are right, I forgot that the bellhousing mounts are what stablizes the whole system.

20. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

on my 40 that has a 327 and muncie that was built in 1972 I used the front sbc mounts and a trans mount. when I pulled the engine recentley to freshen it up I discovered I had a broken trans ear. so I just finished installing side mounts to solve that problem. back then stability and such wasn't a thing to worry about like it is today. I used and still using a early 60' chev p/u bellhousing that has the clutch arm on the right side w/ a slave cyl. for me it worked perfect. used the dual p/u m/c and there you go. but in the end I have heard to many horror stories over the years about front and rear mounts and no side mounts. just my 5¢ worth.

sorry but I still believe real hot rods still have 3 pedals.

alan

21. The side mounts are easy to fabricate orr that can be bought. There is no reason not to run them if you are still using a front mount instead of a later block with side pads.

22. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Have you found a trany yet? I have a fresh 350 with a shift kit and no stall and am doing a 4 speed conversion...
    I run the 350 in my daily driver (2 to 4 miles per day...5 days a week) it works great but I want to shift :)
    I see you live in Georgia...I am in Florida...let me know if you are interested in my trany as it is a very good one :)

23. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

GO with want you want and like. You should be able to make money on the deal selling all the stick parts and pcs. All the 55-57 clutch pedal assly. parts, linkages etc. are hard to find. I converted my Powerglide car to a 4 speed and it was a bitch finding everything I needed.

You have some excellent responses to your posting here.