Register now to get rid of these ads!

bad clutch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Dec 5, 2012.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Hey all, Just got a 5 speed nv3500 to put behind my small block and the guy was nice enough to throw me a pressure plate, clutch and flywheel. The flywheel is pretty rough (rusted). Was out ina junkyard. He said the clutch all worked when teh engine and trans were pulled apart years ago. Can I forgo a pressure plate grinding and just throw this thing together after wire wheeling it up or does anyone know a trick that can help me clean this stuff up. The setup new is priced over 300 bucks and I am flat broke as a result of buying this damn trans. Ideas, hints, suggestions, tricks, I will take them all. It has an interanal throwout an 11 inch clucth and both the pressure plate and flywheel are pitted up but the clutch has some life on it.

2. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

Get after the flywheel and pressure plate with a DA and 36. You aren't going to hurt it. Don't try to remove the pits, just clean it up some. Hit it all with some Brakeclean or laquer thinner and you are good to go.

3. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Just a couple weeks ago I was cleaning up an old flywheel, pressure plate. If you have access to a larger lathe, I ran them in a lathe and ran a die grinder across the face a couple times at a slow even pace, I don't know the grit, they were a blue wheel, maybe a 50 grit. They looked like they were machined. I agree with pro, you don't need to erase the pits.

4. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

thanks guys; that's why I love this site