Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks man, Ill definately keep that in mind if hes willing to sell. I like your plymouth, bitchin car. Any updates on the seat materials for the truck ? And i think i know which lower mount youre talking about, it looks really nice. Ill probably go that route as well

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah they should be in today or tomorrow, as far as the vinyl. The cushion is MIA and he has no clue where it is, it may arrive today or tomorrow... The 1 inch foam is MIA and he doesn't know where it is either for the bottom pan of the seat. He is also looking for the stuff to wrap around the back seat so I can glue the cushion on it. Seems like he didn't have anything for me, but i still had 4 hours worth of work in the smaller stuff.

Yeah the bolts snapped off long ago and were just surface rusted on the top, it looked like someone welded the holes shut... the CLR fixed that though so I can weld something on top of it like a nut and get it removed.

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Also, would it be cheaper to do my own carpet ? Carpet kits are pretty cheap it seems but i have no clue what it costs by the foot. Ill have the battery door in the floor and a modified trans cover n possibly a bump over the frame notch so i dont wanna pay for a carpet kit if i have to modify it anyway, especially if i can make my own cheaper

4. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Oops! Sorry Green, my bad, but you still have a lot of talent. Wish I could weld that well.

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

As cheap as carpet kits are, I think the one that's precut is worth the extra time it will take.

On that battery door, I wonder if there are any floor doors similar in function that could be used to access the new dual reservoir master cylinder. I'm going to need one...you propbably will also. If you want to fab a couple up I'd buy one from you. I can tell you the size hole I cut...probably be just about the same as you'll need. I have always wondered why CPP or Stainless Steel Brakes don't offer a floor door as an option for their mc kit?...

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea the precut kits seem like there hard to beat. And as far as the mc door ill have to figure something out

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Can you post a pic of the hole you cut ? I think.i can fab a small door like this relatively easily.....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Attached Files:

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

You get that column done yet?

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I didnt start it yet. Just planning it for now. Gotta order the shaft first. N i still gotta box the inside of the driveshaft notches. The column will be another week or so. Wallets gettin a little thin from the holidays :D

11. Buzznut

Buzznut

Let me see if I can find a shot, but I can describe it pretty well. If you take the center point of the original round opening for the OE master, sitting in the drivers seat looking down, that would be the upper left corner of the hole. From there, I essentially cut a hole that is just as wide as and long as the dual reservoir master cylinder cover. I can get you exact measurements, but I'm looking at the pic you just posted...what are the dimensions of that one? Or is that the battery door?

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

that was a little 6"x6" circle track aluminum door on ebay. they wanted almost 40 dollars for it. i figure if you have a stepped down lip in the floorboard and just make a door with a hinge very similar it would work well. the door will sit flush down in the lip and you can weather seal it with rubber. seems pretty simple and under $10 probably. im asking my family and girl for a bead roller for my bday. so hopefully mid january ill have one, which would make the stepped edge very easy to roll. ive been wanting to do the harbor freight bead roller mod for a while now. just never had the spare cash

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

also, ive been looking around at old military ammo cans. some of the lids are flush mounted and they are almost all weather sealed. if you can find the right lid and make it work........ who knows, just thoughts here. there all around in surplus for CHEAP

14. 1959apache

1959apache

you can do your carpet for far cheaper than the kits, plus you need to throw down some kind of matting first. then you can basically do your own carpet.
    I will do mine for less than 30 bucks

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

damn that cheap !?!?! thats awesome. is that jute padding worth a damn ? whats your recomendation ? also i picked up a SHITLOAD of dynamat xtreme for $100 off craigslist in spring time, i should be able to do the entire floor, back wall, firewall, maybe doors and under headliner if i decide to, and double it up in spots. i kinda dig the different color binding look as well

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

We think alike. I bought an ammo can just for this purpose. My plan was the weld the half of the hinge that is part of the can directly to the floor. I need to do a mock-up and figure out how I can incorporate the rubber seal into the floor as well since the lid isn't a flush mount but instead has a lip that closes over the top edge of the can by about 1/4".

17. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Very nice! Like where the battery box and where it is, need to move mine down there too. Damn now I have an itch to go work on mine!

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

Contagious isn't it? Pretty soon we'll have to organize a HAMB pickup get together.

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

thanks dude, your thread is awesome, and your truck is super nice! i like the cj as well. im about to buy my dads old wrangler for the winter weather months. do you know of anyone with gmc dash parts ?

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

you guys just stay out there, and this will give me an excuse to get out of this shitty humid, salty swill that we call the eastern shore and move west !!!! :D

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

At least you're not in deep southern Georgia or central Florida...talk about swill...

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good point however they dont have to deal with road salt and de icer, north georgia isnt too bad depending where your at. got family in florida, pure swamp ass weather down there. got family in both carolinas as well, love the weather there

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

small news, picked up a glovebox door outta the classifieds for a good deal, notches will be done this weekend at some point. i had a funeral tonight and didnt have time to knock em out.

also, the engine isnt pulled yet but ive been thinking about it a lot. this will be my first engine dis assembly and re assembly. im pretty excited to get goin on it. from the looks, all 74 year motors had dish pistons, so im gonna upgrade the pistons to a flat top. been looking at a few different sets, still undetermined. id like to keep compression at around 9.5:1 maybe a little higher at 10:1. also, after the holidays im getting a set of camel humps from a family friend in great shape, hes taking my extra 4 bolt main block and crank and a little cash in trade. pistons, and a new cam will be the only cost for this engine for the most part. obviously new rings and bearings, im trying to keep this pretty cost effective though. im hoping i can sell the weiand aluminum intake, 4 barrell and hei off the engine and make ebough to pay for most of the parts. we will see.

24. 1959apache

1959apache

That's the way to build an engine (almost free!) Good wheeling and dealing skills. :D

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Haha yeah man, i wanna keep it under 500 bucks minus the 3x2 setup, i know thats gonna cost money. We will see. Cam and lifters brand new is 186. Pistons are gonna be the killer. Either way it should run like a raped ape compared to the low compression early 70's garbage now

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ran out of mig wire. Lmao but i managed to knock one of the notches almost completely out. I made it so it looked like the stock crossmember and almost looks like it could be a factory notch. Got plenty of clearance all around so everythings lookin good

Attached Files:

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

Notch looks great! I'm running 10.3:1 compression. It can be a bitch because everytime I fill up I feel like I need to throw octane boost in the tank...pricey. The three duece set-up is gonna look sweet. I've thought about it long and hard, but I love the way my engine performs and the throttle response I get with that '69 snowflake manifold.

28. 1959apache

1959apache

Did you make enough room between that notch and the driveshaft? I am just wondering how the rear end will react if going over a bump or something (wondering if you are going to bend the crap out of it).

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks buzz, i have to run premium in my dd vw so its no biggies on the wallet. Im gonna shoot for the 9.5 area
    Yeah the shaft will sit a tad lower than in that pic. It has almost 2 inches till it hits the top of the notch . It looks kinda tight in tht picture but all is good

30. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Crossmember looks great! Thats funny we both ran out of MIG wire on almost the same day!