Register now to get rid of these ads!

swing pedals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Hey guys: I am gathering parts and making plans for my next build, a '34 Ford Cabrioet (original steel). One thing I am considering is using swing pedals rather than under floor. I read the tech thread on Ansen pedals and would much rather use something factory that is from the sixties or seventies. Some of that stuff is still pretty easy to find in the junkyard. Anyone have something they have used? Any suggestions on what is NOT the thing to use? Pictures would be helpful but entirely necessary. Thanks, Tim

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Manual shift Jeep Cherokees from '85 thru '01 have a very neat bracket/pedal assembly that is worth looking at. The only issue is, they are a lot of work to get to.

Should you find one with the dash area already removed, it's much easier.

Ray

3. I used a clutch and brake pedal set up from a 66 mustang in a model A,,I guess finding that set up is kinda hard in this day and age. HRP

4. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

i just parted out a 64 ford f100. the pedal assembly looks easy to modify and pretty compact imo

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

54 to 56 Ford pedals should be easy to find.

6. knotttty

knotttty

made my own.... it was not to bad of a job... and got a custom fit

[​IMG]

7. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

am doing a 34 cabriolet for my wife, started in 01 , about ready for paint, only 11 years. she wanted 3 things, a/c, 4spd trans, and loud mufflers. i wanted swing petals also, the problem is the indention in the firewall, it is where the petals go. a friend was restoring a 33 cadillac i bolieve. it had a long hood when closed, when open the firewall was way up under the hood so as you didnt see it.looked like a good idea since my firewall was bad anyhow, i put in a new firewall and left out the recess and ran it straight up.this made the firewall flat and i was able to put the a/c up under the dash so i can use the cowl vwnt and a glove box and mount the swing petals easyer and emerg. brake. my car was from so. america so i tell people its stock and they never know, looks original.....oh, i bought a petal assy from a hotrod vender, in a mag.

8. A 61-63(?) Chevy truck has a real nice swing pedal set-up. Easy to mount on any flat firewall. Bonus is you can use the stock brake/clutch master cyl for a nice traditional look. If the truck has the V8, grab the bellhousing and slave cyl. It is desirable as it has the pass side clutch throwout arm, great for tight rod frames.

I recently used an S-10 swing pedal setup in my 52 GMC project. I got an automatic version, as I am running a SBC/700R4. Also was real easy to adapt to the truck.

9. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i am useing 62 chevy truck swing pedals with the clutch/brake master cylinder and bell housing with slave on passenger side in 46 chevy coupe with a 283 and 4 speed fits nice

10. Look in trucks. Last one I adapted was from an S10 and worked well.

11. ibuild

ibuild

i made my brake petal, the main thing is to measure a car or truck that has the same lenght that you need so that you will have good brakes, mine is not on the road yet, hopefully will get the body back on the frame this week and run the brake lines

12. The indented firewall can be a deal breaker for swing pedals. I'm building a 34 coupe and used an aftermarket firewall with a 5 inch dish to it.. I'd bought a set of aftermarket swing pedals but it looks like I won't be able to use them because of the firewall.
    Oh, well..back to the old floor mounted pedals. I like them better anyway.