Register now to get rid of these ads!

got me a 59 bel air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miky2001, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love 59 Chevys, I have a 59 El Camino.

2. Labold

Labold

Drop the nose and drive the shit out of it. I'd personally hold off on converting it to a standard shift until you've had it a while.

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I went from floor shift (ugly ass modern thing) to column on mine, mine was a column shift stick car originally, but the 350 TH was in it when I bought it, I'm just gonna leave it, the clutch pedal (note, pedal, not petal, petals belong on flowers) is still there mashed up against the firewall.

4. Dyce

Dyce

Brings back memories!! I had a black biscaine with a 396-4speed-9" combo. The stock rear lasted a little over a week..... Nice car!!!

The 57-59 ford 9" rear works great in the chevy. I had 15x10 slots on the rear with 275/60r15 tires and it looks great with good tire clearance. Wish I had pictures but I don't know where they went.

5. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

6. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

the ride home from florida was uneventful, until it got dark and the headlights started to flicker a little. thought it was gonna die out on me on the freeway. but it settled back down.

it has the original wiring, for the most part.

so my first task will be to rewire this car, dont wanna take any chances.

the steering was a little loose, so i had to really watch where i was going. the rag joint is a little ragged and worn out.
    so the next order of business will be to tighten up the steering. not exactly sure on this, but i might just get a new steering box, maybe put on power steering.

its got a bunch of chrome pieces under the hood that i am not too fond of, so that will have to go also.

but for right now it drives pretty nice. i will gather all the parts for everything and do it all at once.

thanks for all the compliments, and the bubbly education. no offense taken at all. correct is correct, i was wrong. didnt mean to start any arguments regarding bubble tops. :D:p:D

Attached Files:

7. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

8. 41woodie

41woodie

I drove one of those back in my youth and hated it. It was chevys famous ''mud-puddle'' brown and fairly screamed old ladies car. It was actually a decent enough old car just not up ''cool'' standards.

I think that yours has either had the chrome shaved or was originally a six cylinder car, my memory says that there would have been a ''V'' insignia above the word Chevrolet on the hood denoting a car with a 283 and there would have been crossed flags above that if a 348.
    Yours looks way better than my memory of them.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great find!!
    Those cars are a perfect example of "Less is More" in my eyes...
    And while I really don't like to agree with bobwop :D ....his idea on the chromies up front and black wheels on the back really rocks it for me....
    Any way you cut it...that is a really sharp car...so ENJOY !
    Cheers....

10. Nice car always loved 59's

11. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

Welcome to the 5-9 club! Dig the car. :)

12. models916

models916

Bubble top refers to the 62 Belair 2dr HT only. All the others are just 2dr HT. In 62 the Impala got the new HT and the Belair HT got the Bubble roof. Before 1962, there was no reference to bubble roof. That is a great looking car though. 59 is by itself in styling.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  13. TexasDart

TexasDart

I think the engine bay looks great...not overly chromed out. As far as the loose steering there is an adjustment on the box to take out some slop...just don't tighten it down too much. You may need to rebuild the frontend, jack up the car and see if you see worn out parts and move the wheels to see how much slop you have in the frontend pieces. I wouldn't worry about power steering unless it bugs your...ie...its a big pain to park and such. Power steering just adds more complexity.

14. Basic pretense of the Uniterian church, while I am glad that you have found a way to spiritual enlightenment I am not interested in hearing about it. :rolleyes:

15. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

My '58 wagon had a 283/powerglide when I got it. The engine and trans were out of it when I got it, and I think the cast iron PG weighed about as much as the 283. I converted mine to a stick on the column, as I had four parts cars, but I wish now that I could've left an auto in it. Some day...

Very nice car, by the way.

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

you are not ok are you ? i already have a shadow , thank you

17. slammed

slammed

Your a peachy FNG black 62.

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i see your avocation in your avatar----

19. Quintin

Quintin

badass man.... i will own a 59 someday

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice looking Belair, have fun driving it.

21. GREASER815

GREASER815

Cool car, looks like a great start to make it your own.

22. 2 Door Post cars a neat, I like them just as much as a HT. They are becoming more desireable as time passes, I had a new 59 Impala HT. I think one of the reasons for the 62 Bel Air HT was to have a more streamlined car for NASCAR. Ford made the 63 1/2 for NASCAR. 62 Bel Air HT's are really neat, I'll attach a picture of one that was on eBay, this one is a 409.
    Paul

Attached Files:

23. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

First off, great car. The 2 door sedans look great in black or any dark color.

Keep the auto and put a modern auto in later. A 700r4 and those gears will make a great combo with a happy zone at about 80 mph. :D Take it easy and you will get good mpg too.

Good luck and any progress?

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool ride,I like it as is, Still got it? Didnt see it listed in your profile.