Register now to get rid of these ads!

Advise on Clutch Master Cylinder and Pedal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grabber28, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Grabber28

Grabber28
    from Charlotte

Good Morning....I am in the process of fixing a MESS on my 28 and wanted to get advise....

My current Clutch pedal and MC was a Wilwood floor mounted system with a BIG honking mastercylinder reservoir that WAS bolted to a cross mount and sticking through the bottom of my fire wall.

I have since removed it and want to make the entire assembly "hang" from mounts behind my dash. Here's my problem...I really do NOT want the master cylinder going through my firewall again. I know it is done, and I know securing the mount is critical, but has anyone ever used a pedal and MC that is top mounted and has a MC that is turned Backward thus allowing the pedal to be mounted with NO need to drill another hole in my firewall.

I woulld think the biggest drawback would be filling and topping off the fluid and running the line to my slave cylinder...

I found a setup on EBAY off of a Triumph or MG that LOOKS like something that would work. It has a small "girling" type MC...

I searched the tech archive and didn't find anything...I do not want to try something that has already been shown to not work...

I appreciate any help...

Grabber 28

2. Grabber28

Grabber28
    from Charlotte

Yes...that is the configuration....having done some research do y'all think a Triumph pedal and MC would work?? I dont see why not....but I always seem to have a simplistic non technical view on things...I have found out the hard way just because I can make it fit doesnt mean I cam make it work...

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Unless your system is leaking, you shouldn't have to routinely fill it up. I've see some guys use that Kugel system and then make a squeeze bottle with a rubber line and fill it that way.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Whatever you do use a slave cyl that is matched to the MC bore.

5. Grabber28

Grabber28
    from Charlotte

Thanks for the replies...I agree on the fill up....And I will make sure I match the bore size....I would have missed that...

I love good info!!

Grabber28

6. SpecialtyCars

SpecialtyCars

Wilwood makes a reverse M/C hanging pedal assembly, with either one M/C or two with a balance bar. Everything mounts to the firewall, and the reservoirs can be remote mounted (it all comes in a nice kit).

If you're not running power brakes, I'd suggest running duel master cylinders with the balance bar as the plumbing will be simple and you can adjust brake bias on the fly. Also, you can get the M/C's in different sizes to accommodate disc/drum setups or different sized disc calipers front and rear.

Another benifit is that replacement parts will always be available and easy to get for the Wilwood stuff!

http://www.wilwood.com/Pedals/PedalProd.aspx?itemno=340-5180

This is the pedal assembly I'm putting in a car I'm building right now.

Best,
    John