Register now to get rid of these ads!

YODER hammer vs ENGLISH Wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Dec 2, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a thread on the HAMB about a YODER hammer being scraped, just wondering what it can do that an ENGLISH Wheel can't. Like 99% of the HAMB members I've never had the chance to to use either. I do know the wheel makes less noise. Bob :)

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

You can pound in body lines and reveals, you can planish metal. Bobby walden and Steves auto restorations make great use of theirs with there replacement panels.... All I know I want one and eventually will....

3. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

you can shape two sheets of 16 at the same time stacked with a power hammer, try that with an english wheel, Shapes things much faster, The panels shaped are much more relaxed with a hammer than with a wheel, so easier to work with, Hammers are more of a production machine for doing things quickly, but have a major drawback, as they make a lot of noise, and not for the faint of hearted to run, Wheels are virtually silent.... so you stay frinds with your neighbors

4. carryallman

carryallman

sooo what happened to this hammer ? did somebody on here buy it ? them yoders are big noisy BUT i sure would like one !even take an eckold -there soo nice !! mike

5. Just make sure that you live out in the sticks, or keep it at an industrial park. If your neighbors live within 100 yards they won't be happy.

6. art dekko

art dekko

Also it is much easier to shrink metal on the power hammer than it is on the english wheel. Very helpful for fenders with tight radii, or spare tire wells, etc.

7. Chuck G.

Chuck G.

I went to a metal shaping class at Walden's last month. Bobby showed us how he used it and we got to try it out ourselves. He said that he can easily target specific areas to shape with the power hammer.

It's also really loud. Fortunately his shop is in an industrial area right next to the railroad tracks. You wouldn't be popular with your neighbors if this was in your home garage.

8. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

I use my Yoders & Plannishing Hammer more than my English Wheel.

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Having used both I would not say one is head and sholders above the other, jus different ways to get where you're going. The Yoder and Pentingell hammers were developed for productio0n work in aircraft & prototype shops prior to WWII. The E wheel probably goes back to Roman times. I've never seen or heard of a powerhammer in use in England prior to WWII, and the english coachbuilders built some killer looking bodies & aircraft. granted, some of that work was in 1100 series aluminum (yank spelling)!
    A Yoder or Pentingell takes up a large foot print in the shop, runs off 220 and ya won't be running one on a four inch concrete slab for very long:eek: The last double headded Yoder I saw for sale sold for 20K with all the toys. A Yoder will impress the easily enterained, however:D

" A government by the people, for the people " my ass !

10. ^Rex, Missed ya at Mastersons last night....Fourth annual I think......

11. BCR

BCR

A yoder will make large piles of scrap sheet metal at a faster rate than an English wheel (until you know how to use them)

12. Power hammer is faster, English wheel is more forgiving.

13. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Here's one showing shrinking with a tucking die. Mind your fingers. Needs smoothing afterward.

14. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Fay Butler in the 2 you tube video is a great person to learn from.

15. One word...shrink.

16. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

I use ours to shape doors skins, roof panels anything that has a low crown and for hammering welds flat my yoder came from cal metal and is from 1934

17. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

37Kid,
    You can try my Metalcrafter's power hammer out, it gets most of the attention when people visit.
    lukebutch08.jpg

18. monster

monster

neat pic oldgoaly

19. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

you know that guy????

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

That could be the Yoder that made the hood for my Riley 4Port dirt car back in 1975 when Bill Honda ran California Metal Shaping. :) Bob

21. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It was probably being scrapped because OSHA frowns on such things these days and anyone who sells it might assume liability. Everything today has to be idiot proof.

22. Hammerd

Hammerd
    from NC

Fasttimes - please remove your photographs of my shop, work ,etc from this site and your website. And this should go without saying but do not come back to my shop again

23. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

LOL

.....Fay once told me building a panel with an english wheel is like building a pool with a shovel.