Register now to get rid of these ads!

my new ride...where to go next

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bygddy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bygddy

bygddy

1940 chev panel van, old 80's pro street show truck......now a bit of a beater....what to do next...?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bygddy

bygddy

Btw, traded a very very beaten and broken and worn out 77 Vette for this....I think I did good.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - yep, did good. give more details. sure you will change out the wheels at least.

4. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Other than tires and wheels why change anything?

5. I love "helping" build other guy's cars/trucks. I have no idea what running gear you have in it but I'll guess it's got a 350/350 9 inch combo.
    The first thing is to get it safe. Take a good look at brakes, wheel bearings, tires, suspension, steering etc and make any repairs it needs.
    I'd have to get it down lower to the ground. It looks like it may be pro streeted. If you're comfortable with that, great. If not, replsce the skinny rear end and do any suspension upgrades it needs.
    I've always liked steel wheels and center caps...I had a buddy who had a killer 39 chevy pickup with green flat paint and steelies/center caps. It sat really low with a subtle rake and looked perfect!
    I'd paint the wheels tan with black tires...no whitewall tires on my truck.
    Those horrid park lights in the fenders gotta go..now! I'd also run a chrome bumper, front and rear..gives the truck an illusion of being even lower.
    Living up in Canada, you probably don't need A/C but a firewall mounted heater would be nice for those fall/spring chilly nights.
    Go with a pair of long steel pack mufflers for a nice, rumble and defintely run the tail pipes all the way to the back bumper...make sure your back doors seal. Don't ask me why I know about this.
    The silver fenders would have to be painted body color too...
    I dig a good sound system in a delivery/panel/van type vehicle. The big space inside makes a nice stereo sound even better as long as the truck is insulated well.
    Here's a photo of my old O/T pickup with semi gloss black and tan wheels/center caps just for reference. I really dig this look.

Attached Files:

6. bygddy

bygddy

Love your truck, yah, its pro street, gonna try and flip the wheels, find steelies in the same size, and it will get dropped, alot alot, would love to run bumpers but I'm cheap, and poor lol......safety wise its new, like real real new, brakes, every front end part on it, nova clip, and yes, 350/400/9" .....I'm kinda digging the flat 2 tone on it but it needs something, stripping, or a logo of some form.....exhaust is a must, has cherry bombs exiting under the cab now so will likely go with purple hornies to the back bumper, signals have to go, as do the current mirrors, and i lost a fkn headlight bezel last night so now I need to find a replacement which is going to be a bitch I suspect. It did have a ridiculous stereo at some point, all the wiring, monster cable etc is still there, and a big alpine amp was still bolted behind the seats I discovered....gotta tear the front fenders, grill etc off, redo the Rad, and tear the motor down tyo see what I actually have. Then throw some parts at it to make it at least respectable, I. Hoping to find a used blower.....and that's about it for this winter I think lol

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'd swap the wheels for steelies, and paint the fenders black or a flat red. Then see how many smiles per gallon I can squeeze out of it.

8. bygddy

bygddy

And i forgot to mention, it does actually have a heater which was a surprise....a fairly large under dash unit....

9. bygddy

bygddy

This pro street thing is new to me, where the hell can I find steel wheels that big? Lol....

10. bygddy

bygddy

Been through most of that, other then the obvious drawbacks of a stupid tall and then tubbed van, its mostly safe....

11. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

Whoever put those park lights in the front fenders should be shot ,or at least threatened.

12. bygddy

bygddy

Honestly not sure what to do with the gaping holes underneath them either....

13. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Awesome and worth 10 '77 vettes

14. Always have liked the panels, sure hope ya De-Prostreet it though.

15. I'd do a frame swap, air bags, and steel wheels with wide whites.

16. n847

n847

I'd get a set of skinny halibrand style slots on the fron then find a set to fit those back tires...then I would paint or powder coate them
    a dark cast silver or gold color replace the turn signals/running lights & drive the shit out of it? Whats the interior look like? Does it have a roll cage?
    Cool lookin truck!
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

17. lawman

lawman

You have a great start there.

18. bygddy

bygddy

Ohhhh, I like the halibrand idea, hadn't thought of that, and yes, likely gonna keep the pro street vibe but maybe more subtle with heavy lowering and the right wheels....it will get alot more motor over the winter, Im interested in actually using the big tires to my advantage lol....and yes, 6 point cage.....interior is decent, carpets are nice, dash isn't hacked up, typical GM tilt column, pretty clean actually....

19. sounds like a great trade... for you! i'd simply just drive it, parking lights could use some love, but i wouldn't let that stop me from driving with a smile on my face.

20. Beau

Beau

Hahahahaha,,,,what??:eek:

21. bgaro

bgaro

cosmetics is all, then drive.