Register now to get rid of these ads!

A banger of a question!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny-B-Bad, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Its probably a stupid question, but whats the real difference between a B and a C engine? Any advantages from one to the other? Or disadvantages?

2. Carter

Carter

No such thing as a 'C' engine.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. Babyearl

Babyearl

The C engine myth is nothing more than the letter C cast into the head on a B engine.

4. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Yeah, i just found a page searching for more info. A couple things like the water pump were changed but internally the same as a B motor.

5. Carter

Carter

Yes, the 33-4 B engines had shorter water pumps, crank pulleys, and a different timing cover that moved the generator back as well, all to help clear the leaned back radiator. I'm not sure when the crank changes took place from not counterbalanced, to the sweated on counter weights, to the one piece counterbalanced crank.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. The only Model C that Ford recognized was in about 1903. Ford started with A around the turn of the century and worked the way up to T. Ford Started over with A in 1928, B in 1932 and in 1933 he changed his old pattern but most people on the street still called the 1933 a Model C. Generally the reference (incorrectly) to the Model C engine (generally associated with 1933/34) is the 4 cylinder with the counterweight crank that was actually introduced in late 1932. The 1933/34 engines were shorter to allow for the sloped radiator. This was accomplished with a shorter crank pulley, a shorter water pump and a relocated generator. The C on the head came about with the introduction of the Model B probably since the letter B had already been used to designate the high compression, "Police", head used as an option on the Model A.

Charlie Stephens

7. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

I have similar knowledge to Charlie: round 1930 Ford produced high compression heads for police use (compression 5.22:1). To avoid confusion, the standard heads were named at the time with C. As long as I know,Model C compression ratio is 4.83:1. Additionally, like Charlie told, C model crank is balanced and stronger than the previously produced.

-Pasi