Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

hahahahahaha

2. 1959apache

1959apache

looks like that crossmember is 2 inches tall (roughly) and the top face is 2 inches from the bottom face of the floor (just forward of the crossmember).

Also another measurement that is the same is that the bottom part of the crossmember is 4 inches away from the bottom of the floor.

hope this helped

Let me know if you need another measurement

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL, I wasn't going to get out the snorkel...was going to wait for the water to drain. I'm afraid your mock-up nothc is going to be too tall. Are you in a situation where the driveshaft will intersect the cross member?

4. 1959apache

1959apache

I agree, I don't see the need for that either, especially with such limited movement of the shaft while driving.

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have one of those hoops that you buy prepackaged...it's square (rectangular) tubing bent into an oval and welded shut. I'm going to cut the oval in half and weld solid bar stock tabs on each side and then bolt it under the crossmember (in the photo with the killer cardboard and duct tape nothc) to encompass the driveshaft. The drive shaft is about 3 inches below the stock crossmember.

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i dont have the blocks in yet, and the driveshaft is already hitting the front crossmember, the mock up was of the rearmost crossmember and is under the height of the bed floor. the mock up was also a little taller than what the real design measurements are. i think with the camaro clip the motor and trans sit a little higher in the frame as well, compared to the stock mounts, i could be wrong

7. Buzznut

Buzznut

I guess I didn't really take into account how much you're dropping this. What do you figure your net drop to be ...front and rear? Will the driveshaft be parallel to the frame, or closer to the frame on one end or the other? Will you have to tunnel the cab? Maybe your application calls for a two piece? Have you mocked it up yet?

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

My setup is pretty similar if not almost identical to meddler1 on here. The cab wont need to be tunneled. Just both notches in the crossmembers. Net drop will be around 11 inches under stock with a slightly lower ass end. I forget how much the camaro clip drops the front automatically, and as far as the front ill have to play with a drop spring, dropped spindles or possibly a combo of both. Heres meddler1 truck. He has a camaro clip with cut coils up front. And out back its posies 3" drop with an axle flip and 3" blocks

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I went to the local steel shop and pulled out a 2 1/2 foot by 4 foot piece of 3/16 plate, and a piece of 2x2 tubing 3/16 wall, all for 30 bucks. I will make the blocks out of the tube and cap the ends. Heres the first notch welded in place, gotta cut the crossmember tomorrow and then start the under cab notch. U can also see a reference for the bed wood clearance in one pic

Attached Files:

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

another passion of mine..... music and all things guitar. heres a little music to work to by the great derek trucks

reagen likes this.
  11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Make 2 of whatever you make and send it my way!:D Looks good man!

12. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

thanks dude, im trying ! hahah this welder has given me new life! if i would had the welder when i did the notch and axle flip i coulda done everything from the cab back for about 45 bucks. live and learn i guess. find me a hood out west and ill send you a notch hahah

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

Dude, I think we were separated at birth... love the blues. Years ago I was pretty heavy into playing blues harp but my chops are gone and my lungs aren't too far behind. Life kind of got in the way and I need to get back to blowing up on stage...

BTW: Dig this guys sound...

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

After you watch this one, click on the Allman Brothers version of "The Sky is Crying"...sweet syrupy blues...

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

hes without a doubt the best slide player alive. Guys amazing, started with allman bros when he was 11 i think. I love guitars man, got my uncles old strat, grandpops old acoustic, building an sg now, well that started 2 years ago haahah. Stevie ray is my all time high as far as musicians go

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang!! I dig that slide... lots o' soul there!! Oh and you need more duck tape!! :D

17. Buzznut

Buzznut

I bought a Ash body / Rosewood fret Strat back in 2000...it was a Millenium Special Edition. Had 3 singles and I installed a Pearly Gates Humbucker lower along with a middle and upper SRV Texas Special...changed the switching by adding a push pull making 11 distinct positions. I'm not all that good, but the guitar sings in the right hands. I've never really applied myself, just haven't had the time or dedication...

SRV, Duane Allman, Hendrix, Beck, Clapton, Muddy Waters, Johnny Lee Hooker, Johnny Lang, BB King, Lightnin' Hopkins, Albert Collins, Robert Johnson, T-Bone, BB...you gotta love dem blues.

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

I can relate... I've got my Great Grandmothers 57 tele... she lived in bakersfield near Buck Owens... It was originally a sunburst color I was told, but she had it customized, Red heavy flake and a vanilla 3/8" outline on the front, and then a pearl red metallic on back.. after she had the neck narrowed to fit here hands and had the horns bobbed off. Cool guitar but lost it's value after the customization. Wish I had grabbed those 50s Fender Tube amps she had!!

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Couple questions guys...... Steering columns. I have the 64 impala wheel and im gonna make my own column ala the $20 column tech in the tech archive. I need a steering shaft. All the ones i find are splined on the end but have no nut to hold the wheel on. Do all wheels need a nut to hold the steering wheel to the shaft or do some just hold on the splines ? Does anyone know where to locate a steering shaft ? Also what are you guys doing for lower column mounts. Just lookin for ideas

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I ate all my glue so i guess its duck tape now :D

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Sweet ! Got some guitar lovers on here ! Dont forget another favorite of mine, buddy guy. truly electrifying

22. chaddilac

chaddilac

We're using a 68-9 or 70 chevy pickup column... it's a simple column, you can get auto or stick, we chose the stick and put a lokar on the floor. No key and has a signal switch and hazards built in. I kept the factory mount on the outside and just cut a hole to match the tube.

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im not sure what the factory lower mount looks like. My truck was a shitbox lol. And im just gonna build a column, nice and simple straight column with a simple turn signal. Keepin it clean and simple, plus its another excuse to build something lmao. And its CHEAP. I just gotta find a shaft

24. 1959apache

1959apache

I used a 78 chevy van column that i shortened. Of course it is a tilt column and column shift. Other columns that are non tilt and are floor shift are far easier to rebuild. You can check the rebuild on my build page if you are interested. Really easy stuff once you get it apart. The output shaft of the column was shortened 6 inches, the outer tube(case) and inner shift tube were shortened 4 inches. I think it cost me 70 bucks to build and works like a champ... I got mine out of a wrecking yard for 20 bucks too, so a brand new column with brand new bearings for 90 bucks.

25. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Great work on your truck Grenade, your welds are looking spot on. Little off subject but what are you doing for windshield wipers? I am lucky in that it never rains so I won't be running any for awhile :eek:.

Also will you be filling in cab air vents just rear of the hood or are you leaving your open? I am thinking of welding mine closed to keep all the crap out.

26. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Very nice guitar work! You are truly blessed to be so multi-talented!

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

O hell thats not me, i wish it was lol. Thats derek trucks, probably the best slide guitar player alive. I can pretend tho :D

Sqrlnuts, im tryin to get my welds lookin better, still a LONG way to go. im not going to run wipers. My daily driver vw hasnt had wipers in quite a while. Rainx is ur best friend. Also im probably gonna keep the cowl vent. At least i think so for now lol

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got both notches in and the old cut out. Gonna box the insides tomorrow and call er done

Attached Files:

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ill be the first to say that i usually HATE tilt columns, but yours is done very nicely and is ALOT better lookin than most of the bulky tilt columns, i dig it....

im still gonna build a straight column however, borgeson sells a 55-57 chevy shaft that looks like itll work great, and the rest ill make just like ian berky's $20 column tech. im gonna try and do the whole column under $50 including the $36 shaft from borgeson

30. 1959apache

1959apache

I saw that thread too and thought it was really interesting... I may consider it for the '40 Plymouth. Thanks for the compliment, looking forward to seeing you do it if you decide to go that route... ididit also sells a nice floor mount that probably can be used with it, was only 35 bucks and is the one I am using currently. I also have a buddy that has a 78 chevy van non-tilt that he maybe willing to part with. Killer work so far though.