Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This is a Roadster. . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThirdGen, Dec 1, 2012.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Very Very Cool!!!!!!!!

2. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Damn that thing is cool...

4. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. Two major areas were being addressed, the set-back engine, and having lost someone close to me because of this project. I'll answer the engine placement first.

There were a couple reasons why the engine is placed where it is, the main reason, I wanted everything to stay under the hood, nothing sticking out, no blisters or scoops. The only way to achieve this, while still keeping clearance from the oil pan to the ground was to go back. In doing this, it helped out with weight distribution, and in theory should help with handling (get that weight off the front axle). Now the other concern most of you saw with this: leg room. Well, you have to remember that the cowl is off of commercial Ford pick-up, so I started out with more "room" than most conventional roadsters, and even though the engine looks to be set way back, I haven't lost that much leg room. It now puts the space closer to that of an early '30s roadster. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see the lower portions of the firewall differ from driver to passenger side, this allows more room for the pedal assembly.

I will get back to the next topic later...

5. Beau

Beau

If your next topic is a lady, I understand. For the past 10 months, I get home and either go to the shop, or spend time researching, learning and planning the next 10 steps. It has consumed my life. Luckily, she understands that the more she lets me get done, the sooner it will be over (and the happier I am). She hasn't said anything yet, but I apologized last week just in case, and let her know I have been a bad man. She knew what she was getting into before we met. I didn't change then, and won't change now.

I just read an article about creativity coming and a price. The price? Sanity!

The questions about the engine placement are silly. I'm sure you didn't just plop it in there without thinking about it for a long time. Proof that no matter how nice something is, someone will always point out an issue they have. Meh.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Sweet build and I bet it will handle nice

7. lorodz

lorodz

8. It has no less leg room than the glass 29 roadster w/454 project sitting in my garage.
    Function and design must compromise, if either wins out the total execution will suffer.
    This is on it's way to being mechanical art. Stay at the vision in your head.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like it.

Brian

10. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Very nice, any credit owed to master metal shaping mentors?

11. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I laughed my ass off at the first photo. Then I scrolled down...

12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I really like the refreshing approach here, it is very original and creative. Nice skills too!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Oops double post!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  14. noboD

noboD

Damned straight!!

15. Awesome fabrication! Looking forward to the progress.

16. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

I love the passion and commitment you have had building this thing. I watched it from the beginning. I had my doubts but I was amazed seeing it in the gallery. I'm all for seeing a project through, but I hope you did not sacrifice too much. Try to keep things in perspective and have some kind of balance. You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love this build. I've been following your other thread and I'm very impressed.

I've been building my car for a REALLY long time (as most of you know). It's been for reasons mostly related to life just getting complicated. I've been through a lot during this build as well. The car lived in 3 states, 7 garages/shops, and has known several people that have come and gone. I've missed out on a LOT and have had to turn down invitations to once in a lifetime opportunities. I've even questioned my own sanity, at times. (mostly at 2 AM in the morning drilling lightening holes in something) I get it. I've experienced a wide range of emotions during my build as well. But...

...If it weren't for the build I would not have gone back to my hot rod roots, met many of people that I now consider "family", and can say I got two separate PROFESSIONAL jobs because it. And let's not forget the addition of fabrication skills and knowledge of what we do that can never be taken away.

Build it to your vision and keep on keepin' on! We'll keep following! You have a good thing going here!

Geesh... sorry for all that poop.

18. eightbanger

eightbanger

that kicks ass. Love it.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

In photo #7
    How much for the chick with the Hemi attached? :cool:

20. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Now to elaborate on the losing a dear friend. Well it was a girlfriend, a very serious one at that (3 years). I will try and not to go to in depth. She came into my life a few months before this project kicked off. She was behind me 100%, but as time progressed, and the car was still not done, I think she may have lost hope. She also felt like this was holding us back from pursuing other opportunities. We met in Utah, we were both in school (her in utah, I in boston) She finished school and moved to Maine, so i could finish the car (which I can never thank her enough for doing) This past May we decided she would venture out in pursuit of a career for herself, and I would stay here and finish this project, and then go meet up with her, wherever that may be, both of us never questioning our relationship. Well a couple months after that she questioned it all. Now it is over, and I still don't know all the details, and never will, But I think she just gave up one me. Hard to get past that one. So I am now dealing, and keep on keeping on.

Enough of my sob story, it ends there.

Scootermcrad - thanks for that, made me feel good. You are always good with words!

TORR - I can never give enough credit to my mentor, Master metal man - Ray Tourigny, of Rayz rod and custom. Without him none of this would be possible. Anyone following my other threads, I hope would understand how much he is involved. I always try to give credit, where credit is deserved. I hope i didn't give the wrong idea on this thread. He is the master, and I am the apprentice.

Beau - Thank You also for the kind words

21. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

296 V8 - The girl in pic #7 is the X, she is big money. I will give you the hemi for cheap (its plastic)

22. As far as the lost girlfriend....my late wife would say "If it was meant to be, it would be".
    Sometimes there are things that occur in your life that take precedence over all other things.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They take precedence over all other things. The president is Obama. :D

24. pitman

pitman

Ray T. chopped a '36 coupe for a fellow south of Portland. Probably one of the cleanest jobs I've ever seen, painted gloss black, the car looks outstanding.

25. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Neat car, I dig it!

26. mika112

mika112

manufacture cool. strongly after

27. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry you felt it necessary to sacrifice a meaniful relationship. 3 years is a significant investment. The car is turning out beautifully. I hope it was worth it to you.

28. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Well a couple months after that she questioned it all. Now it is over, and I still don't know all the details, and never will, But I think she just gave up one me. Hard to get past that one. So I am now dealing, and keep on keeping on.

Josh, After I read this I have another perspective to offer. Consider that if she can't stay the course after a few months apart she was never going to stay the course. Better she do that now then after you have a child together. If you Love something set it free, if it comes back to you it's yours, if not, it never was.

The roadster is looking great! We had talked about doing the East-West buildoff with the parts I have, I never could get rid of them cause of your build. Stay the course!

29. LabRat

LabRat

Glad to see you back on it !

Life should'nt be judged by things lost , But by Wisdom gained ...

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Josh -- glad to see you're back at it. Keep it going!

Malcolm