Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I have been following this build thread for a while, it just get's gooder and more gooder (thats my bests english ! ):) anyhow I really enjoy the enthusium ,from the owner ,when he get's excited ! He reminds me of how a little fat kid is all over a candy bar, you ain't stopping me till I'm done! Just a frigging hoot, anyhow I am going to look at all the fab work pictures again, Thanks;)

2. [/QUOTE] He reminds me of how a little fat kid is all over a candy bar, you ain't stopping me till I'm done! [/QUOTE]

LOL... A little fat kid... I've been called worse! :p

To say I'm excited would be an understatment. I'm a frickin' kid on Christmas morn'!!!

I never expected to have a Deuce coupe and never dreamed of having someone witn Jo's talent building it for me. Livin' the dream... :D:D:D

Now if I can just figure out how to pay for it. Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Maybe I could sell Jeem my face as I hear he is in need of a transplant after his latest skateboard adventure. :eek:

3. Tony

Tony

This coupe's comin' along reeaaaal nice man!
    Love the attention to detail.
    I've enjoyed watching along as it's been coming together.

Tony

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Another enjoyable read catching up on this one. I'm starting to think my 5w should stay right where it's been for the last 40 years..............tucked safely in the back of the shop. Then someone in 2035 can "find" it and put it on the road. By then the excitement over this one will have died down and the new owner won't be under any pressure to top Dave's build.

Frank

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

6. I got to see the coupe today. It is looking great! Amazing work by everyone involved. Sounds like its on the fast track to hitting the road too!

Can't say enough about how nice Jo was too. I'm 5 hours from home and needed a quick weld repair on the coupe. We pulled it in the shop and he knocked it out for me. Even hooked me up with a killer Jo Kerr hoodie! Awesome dude with truly killer talent!

Thanks Jo!

-Jim

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. Thanks guys...

Harrison, I'm glad you got to stop by and meet Jo. He's good people.
    BTW, I saw your old '38 a few weeks ago. Love that thing!!!

I just got off the phone with Jo a few minutes ago. He sent up a few update pics.

So, here ya go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is in primer and Ryan has about got the doors knock out. Here it was when Jo picked it up from Ryans last weekend.

[​IMG]

And down on the new chassis...

[​IMG]

The front end is next. It had gotten delayed a little as my engine was sent out to the builder and then the mock-up engine didn't show up until today. Now were making tracks again.

Later...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  8. .

Does this spreader bar make my rear end look fat? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If so, I think a bunch of holes in the spreader and a nice push bar will help considerably. :D

brEad likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Use the KISS method on the spreader. No holes or pushbar.

10. Dave50

Dave50

Are minds think alike I had the same thoughts to do to my car lol Looks great cant wait til its done.

11. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

It just keeps getting better and better

12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i'm halfway between you, Dave, and Alchemy. I say no holes, yes push bar.

13. I think a cool looking push bar would add to the look you are after.

14. Well, I have been staring at the pictures half of the morning and was leaning this way. Then Jo just sent up some more pics. Sometime between 11:00 last night and now, the bar got drilled. The man is on a mission!!!

[​IMG]

Looks good and was my original intent anyways - so I'm good with it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  15. .

Hmmmmmmmm.............

[​IMG]

16. Dave50

Dave50

Looks great keep it up. I am really liking this build it was how i was going to build a 5w before mine was found. I like the first tailights myself but thats just me ... I have been searching for the right tailights for my car and havemt found them yet. I`m going to go with no holes in mine so i wont be a copy Cat... lol

I also like the spread out of the louvers

Is the spreader curved??? Great idea if it is.

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

dave, these are all stylistic choices with no real RIGHT answer, just a search for a pleasing combination.

18. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

wow, what a spreader bar. nice that its bend and follow the body-line.

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

What is the first pair of taillights? They have a neat look. Hard to beat USAAF recognition lights though.

20. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

WOW, don't know where I've been, but I just found this thread this morning.
    Fantastic!
    Mine's chopped 4 1/2", and wish I had done it more like yours, but at 6'2" / 205 lbs., I'm kind of at the limit of practicality now.
    Again, congratulations, it looks KILLER.

21. brady1929

brady1929

Beautiful, I like the top lights best.

22. .

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I glad you like where we are headed with the build.

I know Mark, But i'll still spend days obsessing over the smallest detail. :eek:

I don't know where they are from, but knew I had to have them the moment I saw them.

[​IMG]

They are marked keystone. I have googled them looking for info and haven't found anything???

I haven't missed your build! I love what you've got going on there. Your car is wicked-cool.

23. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Looks great! And love the fact that it will be black!

24. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

How did they get the frame up to the body in the rear where the spreader bar mounts? There is usually a big gap for the gas tank on a highboy. Did they just make a pie cut and bend it upward.

You can see the difference here:

[​IMG]

25. Shakey,

The rear frame was kicked up and bobbed to tuck it up tight to the body. The rear of the subrails had to be modified also. I love the look as it really cleans up the back of the car.

Take a stroll through the pics in my profile album and you can see some of the modifications necessary to make this happen.

26. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

That is a really nice and subtle touch!

27. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

The rear spreader bar position and the curve in the bar are awesome! Both of those are in my mind if I ever am able to build one of these. I'd also match the front spreader bar with a similar arc. Keep up the awesome work! :cool:

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Dave, you should absolutely obsess over the details. Sweat 'em til you're dripping. It's your car and should reflect you, no doubt. I just mean that cool ideas are cool ideas, and with your list of details, it's gonna be hard to get it wrong.

29. rooman

rooman

Dave,
    last night I was cruising some of the race shops in Brownsburg with Ed Iskenderian and after dinner we stopped over at Joe's so that he could check out your coupe. It got the Isky seal of approval so you are good to go LOL.

[​IMG]

Isky gave the chop a real close look and was very impressed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roo

brEad likes this.
  30. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

this thing plain rules